return no reason other than doesn't suit

well this is a first after many mant great sales, I sold a leather jacket which is grey and aged to perfection as stated in listing and shown in pictures clearly.

customer wants to return as it doent suit her and she is not happy with that shade of grey, now I included $20 post and am asked to pay her a full refund and return post , since when can you return something as it doesnt suit.??

I will not sell on ebay if this is now how it works ๐Ÿ˜ž        

I would happily refund if damaged or not as described of course but her comment it doesnt suit me well thats not cool

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: return no reason other than doesn't suit

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Just a question.....

My understanding was sellers were not allowed to say no refunds or returns under Aust Consumer law.

I suggest you read up on the Australian Consumer Law, as your understanding is completely wrong.

A significant section states: You can return something if it doesn't do what you'd reasonably expect it to or it isn't of acceptable quality. However, stores don't have to take it back if you change your mind or if you find a better deal somewhere else.

You also need to understand the difference between a seller who is a business and one who is selling on ebay (or online elsewhere) as a hobby.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

I understand shops I Am a mum selling my used clothing itโ€™s ridiculous !! I canโ€™t afford $40 post for someone to go oh it doesnโ€™t suit me !
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

I have 1600 positive feedback but Iโ€™ll close my account before I refund on I donโ€™t like the colour on me... I canโ€™t afford to pay more postage , she got a $800 jacket for $95 it was vintage as stated ... I paid post to her at $20 if eBay make me pay Iโ€™ll be very very disappointed. Itโ€™s all for the buyer , sellers canโ€™t even leave negative feedback so we are held to ransom .. not fAir!
Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Just a question.....

My understanding was sellers were not allowed to say no refunds or returns under Aust Consumer law.

They are not allowed to refuse a refund if the goods have a major fault. They can refuse a refund if the goods have a minor fault (in this case, they still need to provide a remedy, like repair, exchange or replacement, but it is up to the seller what option is provided).

No retailer in Australia is legally obliged to accept returns for change of mind (and not liking something, or an article of clothing not fitting is change of mind* - unless they say they do accept change of mind returns. In which case they are obliged to honour it. 

This is the wording of the sign that the ACCC recommend retailers have in their stores, or on their websites:

refunds on goods.PNG 

*there are exceptions but they are circumstance specific. For example, if I sent my measurements to a seller [ for non-creepy reasons Smiley LOL ]  and they messaged back to say something like "this dress will definitely fit you", but it didn't, even if the sizing and everything else was as described, this qualifies as not as described because the seller made specific assertions to me that weren't true. 

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I understand that but this is a case of I donโ€™t like the shade of grey and it doesnโ€™t suit me .. itโ€™s not a new item I am not a shop ...
Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

But you state No Returns......you don't have to accept a change of mind return.  If you decide to do so you only have to refund the item cost and not the original postage.  And the buyer pays the postage to return the item.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Sheโ€™s saying not as described though as itโ€™s not the shade of grey she expected .. picture is true of colour .. so eBay chasing me to provide return and all post costs
Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Have you told ebay it is a change of mind return......point them to the messages where she says it does not suit her etc.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

@theknottykiwi wrote:
Sheโ€™s saying not as described though as itโ€™s not the shade of grey she expected .. picture is true of colour .. so eBay chasing me to provide return and all post costs

Get eBay to call you back using the help and contact link.

Explain to them your buyer has opened a not as described case for a remorse reason, when you had no returns selected. Sometimes they will advise you to proceed with a change of mind return (that is, the buyer pays postage to return, but you're expected to issue a full refund of the item price), but in this case I would try to get them to close the case in your favour due to having no returns accepted, which they can also do, but whatever you do, don't rely on the automated case system, or escalate it to eBay for review through the dispute.

Whatever eBay tell you on the phone, particularly if it's something you want to be able to verify / prove at a later stage, get them to copy what is said to an email. 

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Thankyou so much for this advise I couldnโ€™t figure the system out... itโ€™s all very much for the buyer these days .. Iโ€™m not worried about feedback Iโ€™m a good seller and know Iโ€™m honest .
Message 20 of 23
Latest reply