the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

Re: the roll out of ebay managed payments

hmmComing up empty, lol. 

Generally even if they do save a customer money in some way, it's ultimately designed to increase revenue either by gaining more customers, and / or getting new and existing customers to spend more at once (through things like bulk purchase / package deals etc). 

I mean in this case eBay has the opportunity to take a decent chunk of PayPal's revenue (not all as PayPal can still be used), so they'll be increasing their revenue straight off the bat, though there will still have to be payments to Adyen and all the other payment services, but eBay will be getting a revenue stream they never had before, and right out the gate they had the genius idea to ream sellers through multiple service fees on a single order. That's a bit like Neflix saying it's $10 a month for all the streaming you like, but if you watch more than one title a day, it's $1 extra for each title. (Still mad. Will probably always be mad about it, unless they don't introduce it here Smiley LOL )

Message 11 of 699
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@lm-entertainment wrote:

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

"Simplified fees"

"Most sellers will see overall savings."

If they can surmise that, then I can't see why they wouldn't be revealing the fees yet.

They actually said exactly the same thing, pretty much word for word, when they got rid of the tiered FVF rates, lol - if they bring the same fee structure here that they have in the US, where they charge a USD25c per-item (listing) transaction fee rather than a 30c per-transaction flagfall like PayPal does, many sellers who frequently sells 2+ different items in an order will be paying higher fees, and in cases like mine, significantly higher. (In other words, I also do not volunteer as tribute / guinea pig for the new system Smiley LOL ). 

Yes if this is what they do, then it's inevitable that I will have to pass those costs on to my buyers. Almost all of my transactions are combined purchases.

I'd also like to know how this is going to work in terms of refunds - especially partials, which I do all the time because people don't wait for invoices and overpay on postage. The reason I originally decided to only accept Paypal was because I got caught out sending a partial refund to a buyer, and it actually cost them a fee to receive the refund because of the payment method used (I don't recall what it was). Given that we will have no control over which payment method a buyer uses, this could be a problem ... not to mention that partial refunds will likely not be instant, like Paypal's, because it seems as if they will involve taking money out of my bank account to put into someone else's.

Message 12 of 699
Latest reply

eBay did a live stream this morning talking about managed payments - lots of fluff and little of any real substance (IMO) over the near-half hour, but top takeaways were:

FVF will be an all in one cost, and will vary by category (as FVFs do now), 30c transaction fee (which I understand is per invoice, not per item, so I hope my relief and woo hoo isn't premature), fee deductions will be automatic from payments received, and 250k free listings for sellers enrolled in managed payments (as in, no insertion fees). 

There's a section where they talk about registering as either a legal entity (registered business) or sole trader (no registered business, trading under own name). No provision for sole traders who are a registered business under a business name, but not a PTY LTD (or similar) company, though, which is what I am. 

For anyone who wants some background noise... Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 699
Latest reply

Registration popped up on my Seller Hub today.  Trying to get my head around the 'simplified fees' - yea right ?  Dispute fee of $24.20 ?

Lot's of penalty fees which will rid eBay of bad, poor, and good sellers who get done by unscrupulous sellers.

A good opportunity for a potential competitor or sellers going out on their own which is in the back of my mind.  At the end of the day it's higher prices for consumers as eBay take a bigger slice.  All I see is increases, not simplification.

Message 14 of 699
Latest reply

There's a lot more information available through seller hub now, thankfully, and they confirmed that it's a 30c fee per order (and an order is defined as any number of items purchased / paid for at the same time with the same shipping service).

The chargeback fee isn't new (PayPal charge this too, but theirs is only $15 and of course you don't pay GST on it like you will with eBay), what they don't clarify is under what circumstances / conditions a seller will be found responsible for a chargeback, nor the timeframe a seller has to provide documents etc. I guess that will be in the MBG policy pages. 

I will need to contact eBay and ask them what I am supposed to register under, as there doesn't appear to be appropriate option for me as a sole trader with a GST registered business. 

Unfortunately this does mean GST will now also be applicable to the higher eBay fee for non-GST registered sellers, whereas PayPal's processing fees didn't attract it. (eg with a basic store selling in the highest FVF categories, it will be an 11.9% fee, plus GST, or basically 13.1% of the order total). 

Message 15 of 699
Latest reply

I have not looked into the managed payment set up yet but do you know how they allow refunds either part or full.

Message 16 of 699
Latest reply

As expected, no reply from eBay.

Looks like we'll not bother with a shop in future.

I can see them forwarding lump payments to our bank account and trying to reconcile them against multiple sales (e.g. invoices in Xero accounting) and then breaking down all the fees will be an absolute nighmare. I don't see Xero taking on board a whole new reconciliation 'eBay' portal any time soon when they've not implemented other, more important features for more than 7 years. This is going to be an absolute nighmare for small to medium businesses using eBay if they are forced to take on board this new payment procedure, hence why we wouldn't want to do so.

Message 17 of 699
Latest reply

I've had no emails about this at all. Is this for everyone? IE. Does it apply to all sellers? Can you opt out? 

Sorry to ask silly questions but I really don't understand anything about it. Sorry to be dim. 

Message 18 of 699
Latest reply

You can do refunds, but they'll only reimburse fees if a full refund from a request or cancellation. ๐Ÿ˜•
Message 19 of 699
Latest reply

This all sounds like a nightmare. 

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 20 of 699
Latest reply