what would you do?

hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post, but anyway, here goes...

i had an item listed for auction that ended on the 18th. one person bid and won. i sent an invoice when the auction had finished to the buyer.

now the problem is they sent me a message last night saying that they had forgot they even bid on the item,  and if its ok with me they will pass on completeing the purchase. if not i will have to wait til the 29th for payment. 

what are my options? ebay has already charged final value fee to my account, and im a bit worried if i make the buyer proceed with payment this could lead to negative feedback. on the other hand, why bid if you dont intend to buy?

so what would you do? 

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

what would you do?

Wait the 4 mandatory days for payment. Then open a unpaid item dispute. message the buyer to say ignore the UPI dispute request for payment and that you will close the dispute in another 4 days to get the return of the fees you have paid on the item. This way buyer cops a strike for being a numpty and you don't risk getting a defect on your account for cancelling.
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

thank you for your advise, much appreciated!

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

If you don't know how to open an unpaid dispute go to My ebay > sold folder. over on the right hand side of the page click on the more options drop down menu. choose resolve a problem. a new page will open click on I sold and item and buyer didn't pay (can't remember what it says exactly) then follow the prompts.

Don't forget to go back in exactly 4 days and close the dispute to get your fees back. Do this by going to my ebay click on the account tab then click resolution centre. It will bring up a new page with the dispute make sure you choose the correct option.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

Why not ask your buyer if they would prefer to 'cancel the transaction.

They can open a 'cancel' case from their end.

You agree to cancel - no 'defects'  - you get your FVF refunded - as the buyer asked for and opened the case.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

Sorry, I meant to answer your post.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

then the buyer gets off scot free without any penalty to do the same thing over and over and the seller risks getting negative feedback. not ideal in my opinion.

At least if they don't pay any negative feedback will be removed and the buyer receives a strike too many of them and it limits their buying teaching them it's not ok to buy and then change your mind.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

But that is assuming (read somewhere - the mother of all stuff ups) the buyer is a serial non payer.

In this case the buyer offered to pay on a certain date so wanted to complete the sale.

To offer to the ability to cancel & the buyer takes up the offer this negates any repercussions on the seller  - the buyer cannot leave feedback at all.

Not sure the 4 day unpaid item thingo goes down well - buyers who end up paying  get 'huffy' - then leave the 'huffy' feedback.

Of course it is necessary for those that don't intend to pay.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

Hi Helen,

I didn't know that the buyer could open a transaction cancellation request. I thought that was only for a seller to do.

This would be much better for us when a buyer requests cancellation which is always the case for us.

We can just tell them to do it and we will agree.

Could you give me a link that decsribes where a buyer goes to do this please? I'm sure they will ask how they can do it.

Cheers

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

what would you do?

When you cancel a buyer can still leave negative feedback.

The buyer said they will pass on completing the purchase.Who cares whether the buyer is a serial non payer or not. If they aren't then one strike isn't going to hurt them, if they are then after a few strikes it will limit their buying or they may stop purchasing thinking they can just change their mind and cancel on a whim or if they find something cheaper.
Message 10 of 23
Latest reply