why do you hold my funds for up to 21 days now?

i have never been so furious at a website in my life.

the seller has bought AND payed for the item, yet i cannot access it because EBAY and PAYPAL are holding my money for no good reason! i have sold three items recently and have had to message the buyers saying that i cannot SHIP their item BECAUSE I HAVE NOT GOT THE MONEY TO DO SO. 

i dont get who the hell started this STUPID policy, but i expect you to change it immediately. it has to be illegal taking people's rightful money and keepinging it for yourself.

ebay epects me to sell another 19 items before they can 'trust' me enough to give me my money. I DONT HAVE 19 THINGS TO SELL!

i expect these payments, summing up to around 130$ to be released immediatley or i will not sell on ebay every again. Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 90
Latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Re: why do you hold my funds for up to 21 days now?

@sha.ki4 wrote:
AGREE THIS WHOLE THIS SUCKS. Lost faith in ebay. Once an item.is sold the money is rightfully yours. i dont see any other company do this rubbish. you now have to afford postage off your own back of get the **bleep** off ebay. I dont like it. a buy pays for the postage costs and yet we have no access to the funds to cover those cost....any normal business transaction certainly doesnt look like this ebay. h paypal staff are rude and just tell you the funds will be available in 7 days....well **bleep**ing guess what. its that dat as promissed and guess what....funds are still pending. useless backwards system. and in 7 days a biyer can use your item....break it...and claim it came that way
...clap clap ebay, way to take a step backwards. Im expecting ebay to become extinct.

They can do that whether you have access to the funds or not. And Paypal will refund them with your money, regardless.

Seems you need to read up on eBay and/or Paypal protection.

Message 21 of 90
Latest reply

so i guess you will be cancelling your ebay account?

or is this just a rant and you feel better now?

this subject has been covered many times, ebay will not be changing this process any time soon.

its a once off hold, no one likes it but once youve done it you dont have to go through it again.

just wait the 21 days then move on. ebay doesnt care you dont like it.

Message 22 of 90
Latest reply

Given it can take up to a week to transfer money from PayPal to your account, one would hope that you aren't waiting for those funds to transfer before sending the parcel. That's going to upset buyers who will then take their frustrations out on you.

If you want to speed the process up, upload the tracking numbers into PayPal as well as eBay. That way the funds should release automatically within a few days of the parcel being marked as delivered. If it doesn't, ring PayPal, stay calm, get them to check the tracking number and they will release the funds while you are on the phone. If you call them ranting and cursing, you'll get nowhere.

Message 23 of 90
Latest reply

Another unbelievable action by this monstrosity that calls itself Ebay. Same happened to me when opened a second account. My original account turns over approx 100k per year but the new account still had funds held for 21 days, even though they were both linked to the same Paypal account. If thats not a money grab I dont know what is. Funny thing was, even when the account had reached and passed all the restrictions put in place and money was not being held, the transactions having the funds witheld still did not have the money released until 21 days. Thieves.

Message 24 of 90
Latest reply

Did you ring paypal and point out that the funds should have been released?

Rather than just blindly blaming paypal did you ever ring them and point out that you had another account that was active and did not have the restrictions?

Many sellers here had restrictions on their newer accounts but when they pointed out their other accounts the restrictions were lifted.

Also, a call to the Ombudsman usually saw money released very promptly.

Message 25 of 90
Latest reply

This is bloody outrageous! The seller centre says, "most sellers won't ever experience a hold on their paypal funds...", suggesting that the practice is random.
Further to that, regardless of any rules they may decide to loosely define as necessary to abide by, they're asking sellers to post items for goods, which they have not in fact been paid! It is unreasonable to expect items to be mailed to buyers, who may also be as dodgy as eBay are suggesting the seller to proposedly be.
It might be acceptable if they actually released the postage portion of the funds but further again to that, if the buyer doesn't leave feedback, as many don't bother to, if your item wasn't mailed with tracking id, you can't prove it was posted or delivered. Supposing the buy decides to close their account or dies after the purchase, how would you prove you ever posted it.
My recent sale wasn't advertised with trackable postage. It would cost more to post with trackable postage. Some items can be mailed for very small costs.
It seems to be that the practice is in violation of australian law and should be brought before a court.

For example, if a landlord asked you to sign a document allowing him to visit your property every day of the week, or even once every week. You could sign that document voluntarily but it would still be in violation of australian law and regardless of the willing signature, it would be voided. You can't just make a rule and expect people to abide by it if it's in violation of australian consumer law.
The shortsighted view is also relevant, that there are some pretty dodgy buyers out there and it's just as likely you will encounter one of them, as it is a dodgy seller.
I'd like to bring it before consumer affairs and believe it should be. Granted there maybe circumstances to suspend any ebay account, either buyer or seller motivated but intelligence would suggest allowing room for brief investigation into each case, to allow room for exceptions - or idiot computer generated decisions.
Like I said, I think it's a situation which needs to be publicised and brought before a court.
It's unreasonable to expect goods to be paid for to be posted, when you have not received the funds provided for it in your sale, what's more, for 21 days!
Message 26 of 90
Latest reply

This thread is old. There are many newer ones about this.

They all say the same, though. If you think eBay has breached the law, then you are at liberty to take legal action yourself.

I doubt anybody here will throw money away chip in, so I hope you have deep pockets. Although if you did, you wouldn't be worried about a MAXIMUM 21 day hold on your funds. You could always try selling on the 'many' other sites available for online trading, or even set up your own website.

Message 27 of 90
Latest reply

As soon as the buyer leaves feedback or as soon as the online tracking shows that the item has been deliered you can ring paypal and usually get the funds released immediately.  If you choose not to send with tracking you have no seller protection anyway.  

If paypal does not release the funds after you prove delivery a call to the FOS wwill fix that in double quick time.

The holding of funds is not random....it only applies to new sellers or sellers who have not sold for a long time.   Sometimes sellers who open a new account in addition to a current selling account will have funds held but a call to paypal can soon fix that.

Why would you want to waste your time taking paypal to court....or even trying to for that matter?

Do you really think after all this time that other members have not already tested the legality of the holding of funds?

Message 28 of 90
Latest reply

Actually Dave, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to go before either small claims or consumer affairs an since I'm a blind pensioner, it'll probly be waived. Wasn't suggesting a class action **bleep**. Mind you, that'd get eBay's attention.
Message 29 of 90
Latest reply

*sigh*   The Pensioner card seems to get rolled out for anything and everything these days.

Message 30 of 90
Latest reply