Can't get refund because eBay won't let me close a case

Seller dragged request for a refund out for a month, so I opened a case.

Seller then tried to refund and it failed because case was open (why on Earth would eBay prevent seller from solving the problem when a case is open?!)

Tried to close case, but eBay won't let me.  I select why I want to close the case, fill in the comment, and then hit "Close case".  Takes me to a "Page not responding" page.  It did this several times yesterday, and again several times today.

It suggests accessing the page via the home page directly, which I did.

It says to wait 15 mintues, which I have.

I also tried deleting all cookies and it still didn't work.

It says to check their announcement board to see if the feature is currently unavailable.  This link goes to a page that doesn't exist with a 404 error!

Get your act together eBay, this is a total mess.  You are actively preventing me from resolving a case!

A quick search shows many others have had exactly the same problem.  I'm yet to find any posted solutions though.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Do not close the case until you've been refunded.

Once you close a case, you can't reopen it, and the seller will effectively have snookered you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Do not close the case until you've been refunded.

Once you close a case, you can't reopen it, and the seller will effectively have snookered you.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller is having you on.....they can refund when a case is open.

The seller is aware that if you close a case it cannot ne reopened.

Do NOT close the case until you have the refund.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The seller is having you on.....they can refund when a case is open.

The seller is aware that if you close a case it cannot ne reopened.

Do NOT close the case until you have the refund.

I,m not 100% sure on this one, but I think the seller has to refund through the resolution centre, rather than just refunding through the normal ebay / paypal section. I,ve got a feeling the normal, non resolution systems of resolving stuff get locked up and everything goes through the resolution process. If this is right ( and I,m not completely sure it is ) the seller may be having problems if they dont know their way around all of the systems.

Its a long time ago, but I remember having similar problems resolving an issue once as the buyer went immediately to a case, rather than contacting me first.

Some-one else may have more information or corrections on this.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Chameleon, the first line in the OP tells me that it is a Chinese seller.....they are the most likely to drag out the process.

I strongly suspect they are also aware that if the buyer closes the case it cannot be reopened.

I do remember a few questions on the boards about refunds.....I believe if there is a problem the seller only has to contact paypal and ask them to do the refund.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Wow, OK thanks everyone.  Lucky eBays website doesn't work then.  I'll keep the case open for now.

Below is the last message they sent.  Not much to go on though.  [Edit: sorry lyndal, it keeps making the bit below look like a quote from you, even though I can't see it when editing, and I can't see any way to get rid of that]

@lyndal1838

• Dear friend,
    Greetings!
    sorry as you can see the picture, we tried to refund you but it failed, and we tried to refund you by the paypal but it failed too , could you pls close the case and we can refund you successfully?
    is it fine?
    Have a nice day.
    Best regards

eBayError.gif

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

The seller did the refund after I passed on what I learnt here.  Thanks to all.  I accepted the first reply as the solution, as the main thing was to not close the case.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Very glad to hear you got the refund Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply