why use click and collect if still have to pay postage

I thought click and collect was free from postage costs, that's why a seller would use it.  I've just tried to buy an item using click and collect because I thought I would save on postage, but it has come up with the same price as the postage cost.  Why use it if I'm paying postage cost, may as well be sent to my home.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@trickcher wrote:

I thought click and collect was free from postage costs, that's why a seller would use it.  I've just tried to buy an item using click and collect because I thought I would save on postage, but it has come up with the same price as the postage cost.  Why use it if I'm paying postage cost, may as well be sent to my home.

I agree it is confusing.

I understand it all now as I've been on these forums & heard about it. I also understand about sellers having to pay postage to get their goods to the shop etc etc

But I remember the first time I saw click & collect in an ad, I was like you, totally confused & thinking this must be an alternative to paying postage & maybe that seller had business links with Big W or whichever place it was that was nominated for collection.

I think the confusion is because we associate collection with ebay pick up, which is usually free. And on most websites, if you buy something online & arrange to pick up at one of their stores, there is no postage cost.

I'd guess you're not the only buyer who has tried to buy on click & collect to save on postage & got a shock.

I'm like you-if i have to pay postage, it may as well come to my home, but I do understand some people may prefer to pick up in their own time as they are away at work.

But it is confusing because it goes against the way things operate on most websites. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

Not sure what has happened with the item you're trying to buy with click and collect because every single seller that participates with click and collect has to offer free postage with this service,as this is one of the policies implemented with click and collect.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

The seller still needs to send it to the collection point costing them postage.

The service came about for people not being at home much and don't want parcels left.

It also helps with those without a postal address in rural areas.

image host
Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

NO postage is free.

Either the buyer pays it with the postage added as postage cost or the buyer pays it when it is added to the item price.

WHY should a seller have to cover the costs for postage at their expense?

As K5 said it is there to make it easier for buyers to pick the item up.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Also allows collection outside office hours

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

It's offered solely as a convenience to the buyer. Free postage is when the listing specifically says, y'know, "free postage".

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

I am not sure why you think it would be free? the seller has to pay postage just like the would if they were mailing to a private home or a P.O. Box

if it was free it would say free postage

The seller does not get it sent to the place the buyer picks it up from for nothing, be it click and collect at a store or not 

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

@trickcher wrote:

I agree it is confusing.

I understand it all now as I've been on these forums & heard about it. I also understand about sellers having to pay postage to get their goods to the shop etc etc

But I remember the first time I saw click & collect in an ad, I was like you, totally confused & thinking this must be an alternative to paying postage & maybe that seller had business links with Big W or whichever place it was that was nominated for collection.

I think the confusion is because we associate collection with ebay pick up, which is usually free. And on most websites, if you buy something online & arrange to pick up at one of their stores, there is no postage cost.

I'd guess you're not the only buyer who has tried to buy on click & collect to save on postage & got a shock.

I'm like you-if i have to pay postage, it may as well come to my home, but I do understand some people may prefer to pick up in their own time as they are away at work.

But it is confusing because it goes against the way things operate on most websites. 

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

Not sure what has happened with the item you're trying to buy with click and collect because every single seller that participates with click and collect has to offer free postage with this service,as this is one of the policies implemented with click and collect.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

@kookakook wrote:

That used to be the rule when Click and Collect was first implemented but it is not so now.

Sellers can and do charge postage to send the items to Woolworths/BigW.

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply