Ebay plus a joke

I know it's early days, but based on what I see, there is no way in hell I'll be paying for Ebay Plus. I buy a lot and have a large watch list and have noticed that the only sellers offering it.... are those that had free shipping already! lol and of course we know there is no such thing, it's factored in to the price.

So it's all a farce to get people to pay $29, $49 after the first year to get free shipping off sellers who offered it prior to Ebay PLus anyway. Not only single seller I use who charges postage now has the Plus. And here was the Ebay chief saying they were doing it to increase online shopping. Yeah whatever dude....

Message 1 of 127
Latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: Ebay plus a joke

yeah they are so NASTY to give late ebayplus starters a better deal than early adopters.

I joined as it was only about $20 and I figured if i searched very hard I might get that back over the year -not looking good as too many pretend "free post" so far.

ebaynoplus

Message 71 of 127
Latest reply

@justcruising49 wrote:

I am getting tempted with my bribe/free gift -a google mini. But can I opt in and keep my listings as normal with postage charged, or will they get changed to ebay plus?  or is it taking too big a chance?

Depends on whether you offer change of mind returns. 

Message 72 of 127
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been buying items from a favourite seller for a couple of years I had to pay for shipping of these items . Since having eBay plus I no longer have to. 

Message 73 of 127
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys I was reading this as I thought Ebay Plus offer FREE Post for sellers as well if not then is Busted

I am surprised what ebay is trying to do

I thought ebay is Auction site and not delivery site

They make seller pay for the shipping fee, money which they should not take is as does not belong to them

If I charge someone $20 postage which is right and ebay system knows charges , as is linked to AU post website

they charge me $2 shipping fee

so we are automatically out of pocket for something which has nothing to do with Ebay as ebay does not do deliveries

I guess because of that many sellers offer free post to encourage buyer  as that fee is eminent either way

'charge postage and get charged by ebay or include it in price and get charged final fee same thing'

but second one works better as many buyers are tempted with free post anyway

Now they are trying same game for buyers just different way

well they might  get a lot of victims as they have nothing to lose, 'they are trying'

Someone mentioned above the tracking and protection as well and as far as I know even Regular post now has Tracking number

It starts with an Leter R

it is much better than signature as you can use $3 signature money to pay $200 insurance instead

signature does not cover more than $50 but Insurance does $200

I always now send item regular with extra insurance rather than signature

same you can do with Satchels

Message 74 of 127
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Being careful about what services a seller offers was exactly my point - I am not offering anything, eBay is, but it has the potential to cost me regardless of the initial expenses eBay cover. And the bottom line is, I do not want to attract or encourage that behaviour to my shop. 

I'm not saying I advocate the system where people can order 4 then return 3 completely free of charge.

Just trying to point out that if that sort of service is offered to customers, then they will use it. They are not being bad people as such, but my experience in life has shown if people are offered something they will take it and after a while, get to expect it as their right.

At the moment, ebay may be picking up the tab for free returns but that won't last forever.

I understand what you mean by the items being out of circulation for up to a month. Some clothing stores though do offer exchanges within the month so are in the same sort of position-but with one major difference. If you front up to a store (real or online) for an exchange, they will often examine the item for tags etc before they refund a cent. Ebay of course doesn't do that.

Ebay plus being offered on goods should be an opt in system for sellers, not imposed.

It's interesting watching each new thing ebay does in the effort to win customers but the bottom line with 'free returns' is someone, somehow has to pay for it and that basically is going to be all the customers. It is better to have some charge on the actual ones who use the service.

Message 75 of 127
Latest reply

Sorry springy, I misunderstood where you were coming from but I think we pretty much agree on most points.

I accept returns because I don't want to take that option away from my buyers by default, so have had to come to terms with it being a 30 day window (would prefer max. 14), and really don't like plus being offered on my items (especially since ebay has put in on my more expensive fashion items), so I might be a little sensitive to the issue.
Message 76 of 127
Latest reply

Was it my imagination that ebayplus was discounted to $25 and a Google Home Mini including postage?
I was just about to buy one at HN for $57
I also have to post back an item that I bought from an ebayplus listing (but I wasn't an ebayplus member at the time of purchase).

If it only costs $25 to join in the first year and you get a Google Home Mini gifted, it is worth it if you were going to buy the GHM, if I can also send an item back without paying the postage, then the membership has already paid for itself twice.
Message 77 of 127
Latest reply

This was the original promo.
Free 30-day trial and only $29 for your first year (then pay $49 every year)
So you save $20. but if we compare this deal to the new one, $29 and a Google Home Mini bought at Harvey Norman would cost $88

Is now replaced with Free 30-day trial and get a free Google Home Mini valued at $79 (except they really cost $59 or less anywhere) and then pay $49 every year.
So if you are about to buy a Google Home Mini for $59, then you can save $10 on that purchase if you are willing to be in the ebayplus database for one year.
Message 78 of 127
Latest reply

I've had to cancel 5 sales this week because apparently when the buyer puts an offer on your item, it cancels the eBay plus out and of course, then the buyer doesn't want it anymore
Message 79 of 127
Latest reply

I signed up for Ebay Plus after umming and ahhing about it, missing the $29 option... but when my sone started selling his toys, I thought I may as well get the Google Home Mini, and help him sell... and after seeing all those specials on the launch, thought there would be loads of benefits! ...and of course get more hlep when needed.
Since joining I have spent MORE time on help chat than ever!!!!  Nothing ws explained properly,..  Just because you meet all requirements for ebay plus listings, and have signed up for ebay plus..doesn't guarantee your items will be... read between the lines..
As for the Google home mini... my son has waited at the door for the parcel everyday.. it's been two weeks.
They havent' even sent it!!! 
...oh no hang on..t hey don't know if they've sent it after speaking to 3 people about it I have to wait to be notified tomorrow hopefully.
No more special prices that I've seen...  
Regret it. 
Don't do it! 

Message 80 of 127
Latest reply