Ebay sellers breaking australian consumer laws when some goods sold are not fit for purpose.why?

I recenty bought a product thst lasted 20 seconds before it broke...ebay did not honour australian consumer law which states that a item must be fit for purpose...it clesrly wasnt..... how are they getting away with this? Has this happened  to anybody else? Anybody taken ebay to consumer affairs? What was the outcome? 

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Ebay sellers breaking australian consumer laws when some goods sold are not fit for purpose.why?

But he has the law on his side, so all is ok. If someone blocks him due to his neg history, then the law will fix it.

Message 31 of 40
Latest reply

@itsjohnny1wrote:

Thanks for that deep insight. Lol

if you look the feeback is over a period of time .. i only bother to leave negative feedback because ebay is a farce.. most transactions are fine but the ones i left negative feeback for were shockers. 🙂 

itsjohnny1, of course you have the right on eBay to leave whatever feedback you want (unless the feedback contravens eBay's rules). However, if you only ever leave negative feedback, you are part of a widespread problem endemic to this whole feedback issue, because you are skewing feedback results, as has been said by a few posters above.

Feedback on eBay is percentage-based. That means that sellers (especially - and crucially - small sellers) need positive feedback from buyers when the transaction deserves good feedback, if negative feedback is always given when the transaction doesn't deserve good feedback. That is, if the negatives keep on being issued to a seller, while the same seller never receives a positive (although deserving of positives), the total number of his/her feedback grows only by the number of negatives, which means that the seller's percentage becomes lower and lower and lower, showing a very unfair and skewed result. If a seller performed to the highest possible standard 1000 times, but only ever received feedback for the 5 times that the seller was at fault, his feedback will look unjustifiably bad.

It's evident that most people will leave negative feedback when something goes wrong - sometimes buyers will even leave negative feedback when something in the purchase is not the seller's fault. It's also demonstrable that many buyers will not leave positive feedback for a problem-free transaction - simply because they don't think that the transaction needs any comment from them. (We are as human beings almost always loud in our complaints, but sometimes silent in our satisfaction - metaphorically speaking.)

If your approach to leaving feedback on eBay is that you'll only ever give negative feedback, it is possible that you will be silently added to many sellers' blocked bidders list, as they see no benefit in your potential purchase (no positive feedback, high possibility of negative feedback for perhaps no good reason in their view). The way in which any buyer leaves feedback forms part of their overall reputation on eBay as either a good buyer or a bad buyer. If you don't leave feedback for transactions that are fine, you are also skewing your own results. Sellers will see the negatives you've given out, note the dearth of positives given by you, and class you as a problematic and bad buyer. If your negatives are truly given for "shockers", then that reputation would be unfair to you, surely... and could easily be remedied by your giving a quick positive for transactions that are fine. That would demonstrate that the negatives you have given are indicative of a bad transaction rather than a bad buyer, perhaps.

But I do note that you have left some positive feedback for sellers in the past... "I like to encourage good service" was an encouraging positive from you. But I respect your right to leave no feedback if you don't wish to do so; eBay makes the rules about feedback in their playpen.

Message 32 of 40
Latest reply

@countessalmirenawrote:

It's evident that most people will leave negative feedback when something goes wrong - sometimes buyers will even leave negative feedback when something in the purchase is not the seller's fault. It's also demonstrable that many buyers will not leave positive feedback for a problem-free transaction - simply because they don't think that the transaction needs any comment from them. (We are as human beings almost always loud in our complaints, but sometimes silent in our satisfaction - metaphorically speaking.)

If it is not the seller's fault, for example if AusPost loses something, I think most buyers will give feedback based on the help or response they get from the seller. I only had small and cheap parcels from China gone missing, and usually sellers cooperated.

As for reviews, I know what you mean. If you look at ProductReview for example many xompanies have very low ratings for this reason. On eBay though most sellers still have mostly positive fb. Sellers often don't leave fb either because they say it is meaningless considering they cannot leave neg or neutral fb, but then I see that many still look at a buyer's feedback...

I have no idea if it is the same, but years ago I bought a couple of items on iOffer and at least back then the fb only became visible when BOTH buyer and seller had left it. I think it was a good idea. If eBay was concerned about sellers taking revenge when they got neg fb, and that's why they now cannot leave neg or neutral fb, this would solve that problem too.

Message 33 of 40
Latest reply

@papermoon.ladywrote:

I have no idea if it is the same, but years ago I bought a couple of items on iOffer and at least back then the fb only became visible when BOTH buyer and seller had left it. I think it was a good idea. If eBay was concerned about sellers taking revenge when they got neg fb, and that's why they now cannot leave neg or neutral fb, this would solve that problem too.

Then sellers will have no negative and neutral feedbacks, as they can simply refuse to leave a feedback when a buyer has left a neg/neut.

Message 34 of 40
Latest reply

@itsjohnny1wrote:
Horrible attitude lol omg lol...

Seriously because i left accurate negative feedback fro geeting ripped off i have the bad attitude because i wasted my time and money..

Lol ive never laughed so hard

LOL me neither because you've jumped the gun.

Seriously, I saw your post and thought 'horrible attitude'? Can't remember saying that. And i never did. That was someone else.

In fact, if you read my post properly, i was defending you to some extent, i said the negs were spread out over a fairly long period.

I've no problem with people leaving negs as long as they are warranted, fair and not just a string of abuse. The most useful negs (to me) are those that outline what the problem area was.

Message 35 of 40
Latest reply

Well if your in NSW don't ask Fair Trading to help, a company on ebay based in China sold us fake fuel injectors that did not work $1700 worth. fair trading did nothing simply let eBay roll them over like a road roller! ebay is antiquated and we will not use it anymore. As far as we are concerned ebay are as criminal as the people that sold us the fake injectors and fair trading are a laughing stock

Message 36 of 40
Latest reply

NSW Fair Trading has no jurisdiction over an overseas company.

What did you expect them to do?

Did you at least open a case with ebay for Item Not as Described to get a full refund under the Money Back Guarantee?

Learn how ebay works and it will work for you.

And this thread is 5½ years old.  You should have started a new one.

Message 37 of 40
Latest reply

Your are the person who chose to buy from a dodgy seller in China

You're right, Fair Trading are not going to do anything about an overseas seller 

Very glad to hear you say you are not going to use eBay any more and I do hope you mean it

The less people helping dodgy sellers stay in business the better

And stop blaming everywhere else for your choice to buy from and support a seller in China selling fakes 

Message 38 of 40
Latest reply

@dubbocakedezines13 wrote:

Well if your in NSW don't ask Fair Trading to help, a company on ebay based in China sold us fake fuel injectors that did not work $1700 worth. fair trading did nothing simply let eBay roll them over like a road roller! ebay is antiquated and we will not use it anymore. As far as we are concerned ebay are as criminal as the people that sold us the fake injectors and fair trading are a laughing stock

not sure what is worse,  buying fake fuel injectors,   or opening up an old old forum post to have your whinge about what you shouldnt have done

Message 39 of 40
Latest reply

@dubbocakedezines13 wrote:

When you say fake, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean they were labelled and advertised as a specific brand or do you just mean they were a no name Chinese copy that you bought, that they were fuel injectors but just did a poor job, weren't up to expectations?

Whenever you buy something, from ebay or anywhere else actually, you need to examine the contents asap, within the month at least.

Then if the item is faulty, you have some hope of returning it.

On ebay, you get 30 days after delivery and you can open a claim for an item that is faulty or not as described. That way you would get a refund, in all likelihood.

You are right to be wary of buying this sort of item from China, it often ends in tears.

Message 40 of 40
Latest reply