Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Two days to go. I hope you're looking forward to more $$$ to our Kakistocratic government. I believe Australian's love overregulation. Enjoy. x Smiley LOL

Thank these fellas.

papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u2.jpg

1479175824636.jpg

Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

LOL
Message 21 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

She does. Queen bee you see. 😉
Message 22 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Perhaps if HN and other retailers like JB Hifi etc bothered to make the effort to source items that the Yanks and Brits can get then they would be doing a justice.....
Message 23 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

@amlagonda wrote:

Mr Norman filled the pockets of our dear leaders to bring in this disaster of a tax/

*Citation needed.

Message 24 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Gerry Harvey has been publically pushing for GST on internet purchased goods for a very long time.

Now think about this.... He's a BILLIONAIRE, perhaps multi billionare. How did he get that wealth?

Until international internet shops sprung up aussies thought they were getting a "good deal" from companies like HN but really they were ripping aussies off blind... We just didn't know better.

As a billionaire too much is obviously never enough..... I hope he rots...

Message 25 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

So.... How did he make a record profit last year, as others have been saying?

I mean, internet shopping is hardly new anymore, and people have plenty of opportunity to shop overseas, now, and come to the same "realisation" that they're being ripped off by Harvey. Plus, this tax was going to be introduced a year ago, but it was deferred, which means many people knew this was their last year to shop overseas with no added GST. So, how did he do it in the face of that, I wonder?

Message 26 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

What nobody seems to grasp is the fact that the majority of the Harvey Norman stores are franchises.

Gerry just sits back and watches the franchise fees roll in with no action needed on his part.   The only variable is how much he can collect from each franchisee as the percentage of their turnover.

For the record Gerry Harvey was a very good salesman who gave excellent service....I dealt with him personally back in the 1970s when he was co-owner of Norman Ross at Arncliffe.   I also had a bathroom renovation done through them and when there was a problem (caused by their salesman) he was on my doorstep quick smart and personally oversaw the rest of the job.

There are 3 HN stores near us whohave the same franchisee in the computer section.   He is fantastic....I have had 3 laptops from him and will not hesitate to go back again.

Message 27 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

@c_mount wrote:
Perhaps if HN and other retailers like JB Hifi etc bothered to make the effort to source items that the Yanks and Brits can get then they would be doing a justice.....

I suppose you'd be expecting them to sell them at a loss just as a service to you? 

The reason Gerry Harvey is rich is because he got off his butt and had a go.  There's nothing to stop anyone else doing the same thing but most people are too afraid to have a go, or they expect everyone else to do everything for them.  Most people are too afraid of failure to try something different, but they complain when others take a risk and are successful.  Most successful people have had failures in business but they learnt from them and had another try.  Many have lost a lot before they were ultimately successful and if it wasn't for people like this then we'd have no shops with the goods that we need. 

Some people would never risk opening a business themselves but they're happy to complain at the cost of things when others go into business.  They wouldn't work for nothing themselves but they expect others to.  There are a lot of small businesses who make less profit than what their employees make in wages, yet the employees are quick to complain if they look like losing their penalty rates and other benefits, as well as complaining about the prices their employers ask.

I don't blame GH for complaining.  It's no different to some of us sellers complaining because ebay favours some sellers over others for no reason - it's not a level playing field but is slanted in favour of a few sellers, many of whom are worse sellers or are breaking the rules.  It's no different with GST - why should those who support Aussie jobs have to pay the GST but not those who support jobs in other countries?  Many of those who complain are on pensions that are paid by Aussie employees but they don't spend that money in Australia and support the people who are working to pay their pensions, so I see no problem with the govt clawing back some of that money to help ease the burden on Aussie workers.

Would people blame us (the non-favoured sellers) if we lobbied ebay to get the same deal as the favoured sellers?  It's no different with GH and other b&m businesses.  Why should they have to pay tax on imports but nobody else does?  It's not the b&m businesses who ultimately pay the GST (and other customs duties) on their imports, it's the people who buy from them.  Their customers are disadvantaged by paying GST so why shouldn't everyone pay GST instead of just the few who choose to keep jobs in Australia by buying within Australia?

Businesses stock whatever will sell and make them a profit and you can't expect them to stock things that don't sell or make them money.  I'll bet all the complainers wouldn't stock non-profitable goods if they were running a business, but they'd never get off their behinds and have a business in the first place!  Much easier to let someone else take all the risks and just front up every week for your pay. 

Plenty of sellers on ebay sell for minimal profit but that's because they don't know what they're doing - you can't EXPECT them to do it.  The ones who know what they're doing do their best to ensure that they get a return on everything they sell.

Message 28 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Very well said!!!    I fully agree with all you have said.

Now sit back with me and wait to be slammed for daring to stand up for HN etc.Smiley Frustrated

Message 29 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

I won't sit back and wait with you, I'll STAND up and be counted!  I'm not afraid of the grumblers because they don't want to feel positive about anything and they don't want anyone else to feel positive either.  In fact, if they were happy they'd be miserable about it. They're too stupid to realise that happy, positive people live a lot longer and are a lot healthier.  They're too afraid to do anything themselves and they're jealous of those who do so they try and tear them down to make themselves feel better.

For those who buy overseas but aren't pensioners, I wonder how they'd feel if they lost their job because everyone was buying overseas just to avoid the GST, rather than buying from their business and paying GST. 

From a lot of vitriole aimed at the govt on these forums, I assume some would be happy for the Australian economy to collapse and to become slaves to the Chinese.  If the Australian govt can't collect taxes, and if we buy everything from overseas, the Australian economy WILL eventually collapse.  Just think about Greece - nobody wanted to pay taxes but they didn't like it when the govt cut back on benefits either, and now the Greeks aren't allowed to buy ANYTHING from outside their own country.

When the GST came in the price of a lot of goods came down quite drastically because of the sales tax being reduced, but some prefer to conveniently forget that.  I did a very comprehensive tax course in early 2000 and I was a lot more aware of the differences in prices because of it.

Message 30 of 93
Latest reply