Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

Two days to go. I hope you're looking forward to more $$$ to our Kakistocratic government. I believe Australian's love overregulation. Enjoy. x Smiley LOL

Thank these fellas.

papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2u2.jpg

1479175824636.jpg

Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

You are brave....it doesn't always pay to be quite so outspoken here.Smiley Frustrated

In 2000 I also went to a number of courses in connection with the GST...we had 2 businesses, one retail, that required me to deal with it from the word go.   It is really not that difficult if you take it one step at a time.

Message 31 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

marwi5023
Community Member
The reason anyone is rich that wasn't born into it is because they value money more than anything else.
Message 32 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

The reason most people aren't rich is because they think 'things' will bring them happiness and they waste their money.
Message 33 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

A person who works hard may be rewarded by achieving financial security, or - indeed - wealth.

Some people who work hard may - for various reasons - never be able to achieve that.

I cannot begrudge someone the wealth for which they've worked. I'm impressed, too, by Lyndal's mention of how she received extraordinary personal service by Gerry Harvey.

Of course, it's true that the Harvey Norman stores were the death of a lot of small retailers, and I bemoan that loss. There is something important that passes out of a society where large superstores kill off individual smaller retailers... but - like the whole global purchasing once the internet came into being - the genie came out of the bottle, and it's a done deal.

I'll continue to make purchases based upon what best suits my needs and wishes. There are many, many items that I'll only purchase from Australian sellers; there are other items (many, many of them) that I can't get in Australia - antiques, out-of-print books, old maps, Magimix parts that are NOT available in Australia (the UK Magimix had them), rPET fabric that I'm trying to get in order to make some reusable washable waterproof waste bin liners so that I'm not constantly using bin liners or rubbish bags - the list goes on and on. It's my choice how to go about my purchases...

I don't have a problem with buying from Harvey Norman stores. They say they'll price-match, and they did so with my last purchase. However, with quite a few other stores nearby, I'm not limited to HN. Whether or not Mr Harvey is rich doesn't affect my purchasing decisions.

Message 34 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

@marwi5023 wrote:
The reason anyone is rich that wasn't born into it is because they value money more than anything else.

OR . . . . they are hard working individuals who are cluey enough to recognise good business opportunities and go for it.

I find your statement rather judgemental and ill-informed.

I'll give one example that I think disproves your sweeping statement. Dick Smith identified an opportunity as a child.  He taught himself how to repair electronics and repaired radios and the like.  He then put together electronic kits for anyone to assemble . . . . . and he started Dick Smiths stores.  Later, he sold that for millions.  He has donated so much to charity, he has lobbied for causes he believes in, started Australian Geographic to help provide a quality resource about Australian subjects., and has mentored numerous Australians, he supported Aussie farmers by starting his own food line where he paid Aussie farmers a fair price for their produce rather than driving them into the ground like the big corporations do.

I do not think that he values money more than anything else.

Message 35 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

marwi5023
Community Member
The "things" I mainly turn my into are food, clothes that aren't full of holes and a roof over my head which make me happier than money in the bank.

The example of one "good" rich guy does not mean all the rest are like him.

Money is awful **bleep** and no one is going to make me like it or the people that love it
Message 36 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

**not sure what happened there.  Posting from a mobile is the only explanation I can think of **

Let me try and make it readable for everyone:

@marwi5023 wrote:

The "things" I mainly turn my into are food, clothes that aren't full of holes and a roof over my head which make me happier than money in the bank.

Money is awful **bleep** and no one is going to make me like it or the people that love it

--------------------

your blanket statement that said that rich people who were not born into money valued money more than anything else is sounding more and more like envy and jealousy every time I read it.

Why do you begrudge hard working people the good things in life and essentially label them all as greedy just because you choose to live like a simpleton?

Sure, I only gave one example . . . . . but that was all that was needed to debunk your 'blanket' statement about all rich people who were not born into money.

I don't see that providing any more examples would satisfy you as you would most likely say "but that is only two" and then "but that is only three" etc etc.

You post about a lifestyle based on the simple things . . . . so how about including respect for others?

Spoiler
That last bit is about you giving kudo to a post by a poster who shows little or no respect on these boards . . . . and by doing so you encourage the disrespect and tacitly approve of it.

Message 37 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

I should not have used the phrase "like a simpleton", I should have said "a more simple lifestyle"

Message 38 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

@marwi5023 wrote:

Money doesn't have anything to do with the kind of person someone is, all it does is enhance what is already there - whether that be through poverty or wealth. Plenty of people could be classified as living in poverty, and could just as easily be described as valuing money above all else (I've known a few of these myself, they'll never get rich, either). Conversely, plenty of rich people don't value money that much at all, they worked for what they have, and they give a lot of it away. All you have to do is look beyond your own bias or prejudice (or, google) and you'll find a lot more than one example.

It's in fact quite common for those who do not grow up with wealth, but found themselves in a good financial position later in life, to have simple, unassuming, generous lives (i.e. you wouldn't even know they were "rich" unless you got to have a peek at all their financials). 

Message 39 of 93
Latest reply

Harvey Norman Tax Time!!

It's not money that's good or bad, it's what you do with it.  Some people are rich because they've been generous and it's come back to them.  Proverbs 11:24  There is he that scatters and yet increases.  v25.  The liberal soul shall be made fat.

I assume from what you've said that you never want to have any money, even if means you could help others.  If that's your attitude, to only look after yourself, then you'll never have much, either physically or any other way.

Message 40 of 93
Latest reply