How bad is Pitney Bowes (Global Shipping Program)?

For those curious about eBay's default international courier, Global Shipping Program (aka Pitney Bowes):

- they've managed to lose two of my parcels coming from England in the last two months, In the second instance, on 18 August 2020, they backdated a tracking entry by 23 days alleging delivery at 2pm on July 26 which (ahem) was a Sunday!!

- they automatically charge import duty on electronic items to Australia, even though there is no import duty payable in Oz on electronic items costing less that AUD1000. I'm guessing that money goes straight in their pocket - as Arthur Daley would say: "nice little earner"

- they charge express rate shipping costs and then turn around and use an economy shipping method.

- for those wondering what sort of feedback they get generally, check out this website

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/business/pitney_bowes.html

Why do eBay persist in using these scoundrels? As the old saying goes, follow the money. I'm guessing their commission from Pitney Bowes is lucrative enough to have them ignore outdated concepts such as keeping buyers and sellers protected from poor and shockingly overpriced delivery service. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: How bad is Pitney Bowes (Global Shipping Program)?

International sellers and shipping companys, are allowed to charge any amount they like for collecting GST and  Remitting it to the ATO.  And normally this charge is just invoiced as duties. 

Why would you expect an International entity, to collect and remit taxes to  ATO  free of charge.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@1076johnw wrote:

- they've managed to lose two of my parcels coming from England in the last two months, In the second instance, on 18 August 2020, they backdated a tracking entry by 23 days alleging delivery at 2pm on July 26 which (ahem) was a Sunday!!

The chances are that the "delivery" was when DHL passed the package on to Australia Post. I have one on the way and the same thing is happening to that parcel.

- they automatically charge import duty on electronic items to Australia, even though there is no import duty payable in Oz on electronic items costing less that AUD1000. I'm guessing that money goes straight in their pocket - as Arthur Daley would say: "nice little earner"

When you buy goods through eBay or  any other selling platform you will pay 10% GST on all items if they are under $1,000. Once you go over the $1,000 threshold you will be paying import duty at a rate depending on the goods.

EDIT. This was covered a couple of years ago in this thread that you were active on :-

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Phantom-import-duty-charges/m-p/2209692#M97865

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@1076johnw wrote:

they backdated a tracking entry by 23 days alleging delivery at 2pm on July 26 which (ahem) was a Sunday!!

I think we have had deliveries the last 3 Sundays from Australia Post and a couple of courier companies,  not sure if you have noticed therre is a pandemic happening and courier companies are deliverying every day of the week.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Please don't confuse import duty with GST - the two are completely different.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@1076johnw wrote:

That's a laugh, you were.....................

FYI Pitney Bowes term the charges as "Import Charges".

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@1076johnw wrote:

I am not confusing anything.    If an international entity is required to collect GST on behalf of the Australian Tax Office.  then unlike Australian businesses, they are entitled to charge you any amount they like for doing so, and they can invoice this charge to you under any term they wish,  duties/charges  etc etc etc.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

This may be an old post, but I wanted to put my thoughts in………..

When I purchase from eBay’s RIDICULOUS Global Shipping program, I discovered it’s just a scam to rip buyers off and for eBay to profit more.

Pitney Bowes is run the U.S. So more money for the U.S., how lovely is that! 🤦🏼‍♀️

You purchase a $5-$10 item and they manage to make you pay over $50 in the end due to their so-called Global Shipping program.

For buyers, GSP SUPPOSEDLY provides access to more international products, with the full cost including shipping, duties and taxes provided upfront.

HOWEVER, eBay buyers are paying EXTRA with GST.

Taxes are INCLUDED in the Global Shipping program, yet eBay will add MORE GST to rip buyers off more!

The whole GSP is nothing but a SCAM!

They also claim Sellers have seen sales increases of up to 15%, which is a lie! Buyers cannot afford the outrageous extra charges on the Global Shipping program.

I have 2 accounts. And my Seller account, I REFUSE to use the GSP!

I mail out my sold packages MYSELF!

I wrap the item, put the name on the boxes and go to my local Post office. Then fill out customs forms and pay for shipping.

In the end………. International buyers get MY packages that I shipped FASTER and at cheaper shipping rate.

The Global Shipping program run by Pitney Bowes is nothing but a greedy, slow process for receiving packages.

When I personally purchase anything from this idiotic GSP, I wait DOUBLE to TRIPLE the time to receive a package!!

Not to mention my items I bought have been man-handled by the non-seller.

I had one package from the Global Shipping program take 3 MONTHS to get to me!

How disgusting is that!!!!

I hate the GSP and I will NEVER sell my stuff through it.

The World is getting poorer, with jobless people.

And yet eBay is profiting off of buyers using GSP.

It should permanently be removed from eBay!!!!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply