How to report a seller who wont sell?

tomfrh
Community Member

The seller is refusing to sell because he's not happy with the final price. He cancelled the sale before I could pay and then relisted it.

How do I report him? The ebay report seller links don't seem to go anywhere.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: How to report a seller who wont sell?

As an aside, it's only the second page if that's what your settings are.

I'm still on the first page      smiley-with-glasses35.gif

(edit: note to self....type faster)

Message 31 of 50
Latest reply

tomfrh
Community Member
Iโ€™m not interested in pursuing it further with the seller. Itโ€™s no great loss. But the guy broke a contract and should be reported as sellers like that undermine the eBay system.

I followed the report a seller link but it just loops around in circles. I canโ€™t find the actual page to do it.
Message 32 of 50
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Is is sad to see that people are so quick to judge another who is complaining because they don't stand in their shoes or have forgotten the feeling of disappointment,and would minimize and ridicule someone else's disappointment. One small problem can seem huge at the moment to the recipient, but when seeking some sympathy, it is so sad to see how many would beat the person down rather than try to lift them up. Someone once said there are only three types of people in this world, those who are up but would beat you down, those who are up and will try to lift you up, and those who are down who will drag you down too. This whole thread has been a real eye-opener to me. Just how mean spirited some can be, while others admit they would renege on deals also. Is it in any way honourable or right to beat someone down when you do not stand in their shoes?

I wasn't trying to be mean spirited, although i am the one who admitted that if I were a newbie seller, listing something at, say, 99c and it was worth a small fortune, I'd probably renege on the sale too.

In all my time selling, I never did back out of a sale though, for the simple reason I listed at the lowest acceptable price.

But some sellers don't. I don't know why. Maybe they believe the ebay hype that a 99c starting point will generate interest and they'll be sure to get a good price, then they get a shock. Maybe some never read the terms & conditions before they list and don't take account of fees or actual postage costs.

Whatever. Mistakes are made.

I totally agree with you that this can be disappointing for a buyer when they are let down.  Even small problems in life can be annoying and off putting. And it doesn't mean small problems should necessarily be ignored.

In fact, it's not a good look for ebay itself when this sort of thing happens. It's not what they would want to happen either. They want their customers to be happy campers.

As far as I can make out, there are only a couple of ways a buyer can actively address the problem.

The first is in feedback. I think any seller who backs out of a sale probably deserves a neg if they get one, whether they are new or not.

The second way may be by reporting a listing or seller & I think someone here earlier gave some links to do that.

But the bottom line to me is that ebay is unlikely to kick a seller off for a first offence.

If the seller does this sort of thing too often though, I think they suffer some problems with their account? If their service or whatever falls below a certain standard? I am not sure as I don't sell anymore but pretty sure I have read that on the boards. So that is a consequence.

As a buyer these days, if a seller did this to me, I'd just quickly give the factual feedback and move on. Life's too short.

Message 33 of 50
Latest reply

Feedback is there for the purpose of warning other potential buyers what a seller is like. That will be much more effective than ebay giving a seller a slap on the wrist for not honouring a sale.

The other alternative is to ring ebay and complain about the seller, if it's that important to someone.
Message 34 of 50
Latest reply

@tomfrh,

You can report a seller by phoning eBay. Link is at the bottom of the Help page.

eBay have recently removed the button to report sellers for all except specific transaction-related problems. I suspect (but of course can't confirm, as I'm not an eBay employee or representative in any form) that this is due to abuse, mis-use and/or over-use of the report-seller button.

If you are determined to report the seller, phoning eBay is your only option at this point. It is not likely to result in the seller being boiled in oil, but they may be given a warning or have their nether region lightly tapped with a feather boa.

Were I in your situation, I would probably have grimaced, sighed, rolled my eyes expressively towards heaven, perhaps muttered "Well, that's another fine bargain-missing situation you've gotten [sic] me into!", and then looked for the desired item from another seller.

I wouldn't have considered my waste of time - not in the context of this world being full of traffic lights, electricity failures, late arrivals, and so on. All of us have to wait, and all of us have our time wasted, just as (do we not all hand our head in shame?) sometimes we waste the time of others.

If your point is that "the guy broke a contract and should be reported as sellers like that undermine the eBay system", I would urge you to think about the following:

• Have you ever placed a bid and then retracted it because you realised that you didn't really want the item?
  • Have you ever asked a seller to cancel a purchase?
  • Have you ever decided not to pay after winning an auction?
  • Have you ever decided not to pay after clicking onto Buy It Now?
  • Have you ever marked a seller's stars down (less than 5) for postage time when the seller posted within their handling time, because the item arrived later than you expected?
  • Have you ever given fewer than 5 stars for postage cost (because the cost of postage was high) when the seller charged you roughly the cost of delivery/actual postage, associated packaging costs, and any extra such as insurance and signature on delivery?
  • Have you ever given fewer than 5 stars for item description (because you didn't really like the item or find it satisfactory) when the seller's description contained the relevant information?

If so, then strictly speaking you have "undermine[d] the eBay system" and - in some of the above - broken a contract.

• Every time that a buyer retracts a bid with a specious reason, they misuse the bid retraction process.
  • Every time a buyer requests a purchase cancellation, they not only break a contract but actually cost the seller money. (The seller can receive a credit (not money back) for the Final Value Fees, but they're out the actual listing fees, and they're out the PayPal fee which is not credited back to them.)
  • Every time that a buyer doesn't pay, they break a contract and breach eBay policy. The seller must spend time on reporting the non-paying bidder or - for fear of a retaliatory "Yes, all right, I'll pay for this, but I'm going to report Not As Described and report you and mark down your stars and neg you and make your life hell" on the part of the buyer - simply offering a cancellation. The seller also loses the listing costs and must spend time on relisting and adjusting stock quantity.
  • A seller's DSRs are now not quite as vital as they were at one time. However, giving a seller a low DSR because of events or issues outside their control is unfair and would certainly "undermine the eBay system". If a seller posts on time, but the item doesn't get to you within the Estimated Delivery Date, how is that the seller's fault? The seller neither promised a delivery by such-and-such a date, but the seller CANNOT promise such a delivery date. It is Australia Post (or a courier) who do the actual delivering. Furthermore, these deliverers are sometimes impacted by events outside their control (e.g., bushfires, COVID-19) or - as springyzone said - "stuff happens". A great many buyers punish the seller by giving fewer than 5 stars for postage time... when postage time is specifically stated by eBay to be "How quickly the seller posted the item", not "How quickly you received your item".
  • Every time that a buyer gives fewer than 5 stars for postage and handling charges, just because the P&H cost was high, it's an abuse of the eBay system. The only reason for giving low stars for this would be if you as the buyer knew that the seller was charging well above the actual cost of the postage method used plus all packaging materials plus a reasonable charge for the actual packing/handling of the parcel (which involves thinking about hours @ wages) and any associated postal charges such as insurance and SOD. Simply because the postage component of the purchase was high is not a reason to mark down the seller's stars for this.
  • Every time that a buyer gives fewer than 5 stars for item description, just because they were disappointed by the item, it's an abuse of the eBay system... unless the listing did not accurately describe the item. Sometimes we as buyers can build an expectation of the item, or be unreasonable in our assumption of the item... yet if we look at the actual description, it was accurate. I reserve fewer than 5 stars for item description for instances where the seller failed to include relevant descriptive information, e.g., overstated the condition, didn't include mention of marks, posted a knock-off, gave incorrect measurements, mentioned features that aren't included, etc. As another example, if I had bought a cookbook and found upon its arrival that there were fewer good recipes in it than I'd expected, that the photos were not as clear as I'd like, and that some of the pages included rambling thoughts by the chef rather than recipes, I wouldn't mark down the seller's DSR for item description unless the seller had written in the listing's description, "Has x number of recipes, and the photos are superb!", assuming that the number of recipes was less than x.
  • Every time that a buyer states than an item arrived later than the EDD (Estimated Date of Delivery), but it's clear from the postmark that the item was posted within the seller's handling time, the eBay system itself is set up to punish the seller. While that may not be undermining the eBay system (if we assume that sellers are being coerced into using expensive postage methods even when the item cost doesn't justify it, and punished when they do not), that's certainly undermining fair trading and unjustly affecting sellers. Buyers do not have to answer that question - and I deplore that question as it is inherently unfair. eBay's EDDs are a fairytale based on a maybe floating in a sea of whatifness.

(sweetkiss.gif, k1ooo.)

Message 35 of 50
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Nah, I'm a bit basic I am afraid. Our resident expert with words is countess.Smiley Happy

But thanks anyway.

Springy, I just noticed that countess quoted you in her latest novel post 

You really have made it to the big time Woman Very Happy

Message 36 of 50
Latest reply

tomfrh
Community Member
Thanks for the information.
Message 37 of 50
Latest reply

I'd leave a neg for the sod, detailing that he refused to honour the sale, and move on...

Message 38 of 50
Latest reply

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

I'd leave a neg for the sod, detailing that he refused to honour the sale, and move on...

It seems he already has. Inexperienced seller with 47 feedback and one sale. I would have hoped there'd be more detailed feedback rather than just "fraudulent seller", That doesn't tell anyone anything.

Message 39 of 50
Latest reply

@tomfrh wrote:

The seller is refusing to sell because he's not happy with the final price. He cancelled the sale before I could pay and then relisted it.

How do I report him? The ebay report seller links don't seem to go anywhere.

Hi tomfrh, I'm seeing and hearin this ,more often now with sellers not geiing enough for their auction and coming up with amazing stories about how they've just discovered that the item has become faulty, accidentally dropped on the floor and this boken, and somehow goe missing. This just makes eBay seem like an uncool place to buy from.

Sellers often start auctions at a low bid in the hope of attracting more bids ad getting a higher price for their item. In many cases it works and they can end up getting $300 for something they paid a dollar or two for in a thrift shop. The best case scenario is having a bidding frenzy going on and having a mega profit. 

One example is a of an iconic (but not mega famous) jazz rock type of band. The LP is on sale now and quite a few copies up ranging from around $11 to $30. The seller a few years ago started it on a low bid and got a few bids over the week. Then at the last minutes, a barrage of bids cae in and he got heaps for it. I had a crack at it too. Seller got a nice tidy sum. Gee, this was around 15 years ago and it was quite exciting too.

Anyway, you won the item fair and square and you should get it for what you won it for plus the stated postage costs. OK, the seller isn't coming up with the classic ....  "Oh, it dropped on the floor and broke, or it's gone missing excuse" so that's something. But the seller needs to honour the auction and if it's what I think it is, the seller would be getting a tidy sum anyway.

Message 40 of 50
Latest reply