I received an incorrect item and the seller demanded I close the complaint before he would post the

Is this a valid way to deal?

I've returned the incorrect item already.

Ross

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: I received an incorrect item and the seller demanded I close the complaint before he would post

I would love for eBay to provide a proper option to send replacements without risking losing the item twice and getting a defect that can seriously affect my account, too. I would encourage you to maybe provide that feedback to eBay, about facilitating replacements, because they haven't listened to sellers thus far.

Just thought I'd mention as well that closing an ebay dispute doesn't have to leave you without any recourse at all, as PayPal remains an option if you didn't go there first and the seller can't prove postage.
Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: I received an incorrect item and the seller demanded I close the complaint before he would post

The problem here for the seller is that ebay doesn't give them any option to replace once a dispute is opened because ebay can always force a refund.  

So if a seller sends you a replacement, there isn't a button to allow the seller to close the case having sent you a replacement.  The only way to close the case is to refund.  If the seller doesn't refund and the buyer escalates, ebay will refund the buyer every time.  

This means that sellers are at risk of losing out by sending you a replacement because (dishonest) buyers can still get ebay to refund.

You've got to remember they don't know you - whether you are an honest upstanding citizen or a complete scammer.  This is the reason they want you to close the case before re-sending,  Likewise you can't tell if they are honest seller or not, so you can't trust they will send you anything after you close the case as there is nothing in the ebay process to force them to do so.  

As a buyer you only have two choices after you open a dispute.  Return and get refunded and then re-purchase - or just return and accept the refund.

It's messy but thems the rules.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply