Issue with address, agreed to cancel then re-list, sold to someone else...

negan
Community Member

This is more to vent as I know there is nothing I can do.

So, 1 of a kind card for auction. There is no others like it, this is the only one.

I win the auction.

I pay for the item. I realise after paying that the estimated delivery time is after I move out of my then current address.

My fault.

I contact the seller about it. They say they don't know what to do. A week later after no correspondence the item is marked as posted. I contact the seller about it. They say they didn't post it they just marked it as posted so they wouldn't get a warning. They still say they don't know what to do. They then message me again a few days later saying that I had to submit a cancel request so they could re-list the item for me to buy again. As it was marked as posted I couldn't submit a cancel request.

I woke up this morning to a message from the seller saying they unmarked it as posted, cancelled the item and re-listed it and I just had to send in the offer.

I was asleep when these messages were sent at 4:30am due to timezones.

As I expected I went to go put an offer on the item and it has been sold to someone else.

The seller has not replied to my 5+ messages regarding this.

I put it so much effort and apologised so many times for my error to make sure I got this item to the right address and the exact thing I tried to prevent happened. Now some other buyer gets the card that I've been monitoring for weeks to resolve.

I know there is nothing I can do now but leave negative feedback, I just wanted to vent and see if anyone else has had similar situations.

Again, if I had changed my address to being with, I would have gotten the card, it is ultimately my fault, but I believe I remained very professional and did everything I could to resolve the issue and the seller decided to do the wrong thing.

Message 1 of 61
Latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

negan
Community Member
eBay checked and saw it hadn’t been posted yet, that’s when they offered to ask to talk to them
Message 21 of 61
Latest reply

Quite simply, the error was your fault, not the sellers, and as such it was your responsibility to find a solution or Pay.  The seller

is required to send to the address  you have specified via Paypal.  As I stated earlier there was a very easy and cheap solution

available  to you.  A  second and even cheaper solution,  You could have paid for the item, and requested the seller hold the item

until a specified date, then when your move was completed, update Paypal Address, Then confirm address with buyer and request

item be forwarded..  But you offered No solutions, failed to Pay, put the Blame on the Seller  for your FUp, and then have the gall

to intend leaving negative feedback.

Message 22 of 61
Latest reply

It was paid for. Seller wanted trans cancelled for new addy.

image host
Message 23 of 61
Latest reply

negan
Community Member
Wow I wonder if you kind of people would talk like this to someone’s face. I stated I paid for the item. My money sat in their account for weeks as they delayed responding to me for days. What solution could I have done, flown to their house and picked up the item?? I could do nothing as they marked it as sent so I could not put in a cancel request
Message 24 of 61
Latest reply

@negan wrote:
Wow I wonder if you kind of people would talk like this to someone’s face. I stated I paid for the item. My money sat in their account for weeks as they delayed responding to me for days. What solution could I have done, flown to their house and picked up the item?? I could do nothing as they marked it as sent so I could not put in a cancel request

The problem was initially caused by YOU. Everything that happened after that is, ultimately, YOUR fault. You claim the seller has negs for the same thing. He must be unlucky to have so many people buy from him and not realise they are moving.

Leaving a neg for the seller is, at best, petty.

Yes, I would tell you to your face. I realise your 18 sales over several years qualify you as an expert on both sides of eBay, but there are those here more qualified than you.

And, you're the one who came to the boards in the first place. To have a rant - meaning you were looking for validation of your postion.

Message 25 of 61
Latest reply

negan
Community Member
Omg. How many times did I say it was my fault! I apologised to the seller at least 10 times but when similar issues happened in the past it was an easy fix. The seller did not respond to days, I thought they were going to run away with my money. What else was I supposed to do??? The negative comments all state that the seller is extremely unresponsive and not cooperative and has cancelled items and relisted at a higher price. I stated to the seller that I would cooperate in anyway to make it right and get the item to my new address but they relisted it and accepted a best offer at a higher price, if anything because of what I did I made them more money!
Message 26 of 61
Latest reply

Negan, a lot of members come here reading the OP then reply without reading the whole thread.

Many members may be repeating what has already been said.

Just ignore posts you don't feel a need to reply to.

image host
Message 27 of 61
Latest reply

negan
Community Member
You are right, i’m very defensive and an aware none of this would have happened if I’d realised I needed to change my address before paying but I believe I did everything I could to cooperate and assist the seller who in turn to me, seemed to take advantage of the situation to make more money.

Thank you
Message 28 of 61
Latest reply

@negan wrote:
I realise from my short statement it would seem the seller was cooperative but as stated, it took me weeks of pestering them to respond to my messages. They have at least 12 negative feedbacks, I have none.

I was chatting to the eBay representative and they actually gave me a lot of more genuine answers than I have ever experienced on eBay. They even told me they were a top seller and somewhat probably more information than they're supposed to give.

Fair enough, I didn't say the seller acted perfectly (rather, I stated they acted imperfectly), but I have the luxury of approaching this situation:

A. knowing I'm only getting one side of the story

B. understanding there are reasons beyond sc**wing over buyers that could have lead to this

Staright off the bat, the seller could have been sketched out by the situation (buying then messaging about address issues is a common sign of an impending buyer scam). You also stated you hounded the seller with messages, which could have made them even more uneasy and the situation of a new, problem-free buyer that much more appealing. 

Did the seller manually accept a higher offer, or did they have any default auto-accept parameters? (If you don't know the answer to this, neither you nor eBay can say with any degree of certainty that selling to someone else at a higher price was done on purpose - IMO if they intended to shaft you, they wouldn't have messaged you about the new listing at all and just cancelled the transaction to be done with it). 

Like I said, both parties handled it imperfectly, and I don't think the seller is in the right here, what I am saying is that a situation was created, and then handled badly, but none of us are in a position to make assumptions about the motivations behind everything the seller did. 

Message 29 of 61
Latest reply

negan
Community Member
Look it didn’t make sense to me cos they messaged me at 4:30am my time saying they had re-listed it, then another message at 4:40am saying I just had to put in my offer that I paid for it. It would have been 7:30am by the time I woke up and saw the messages, so when I did I immediately went to the listing which said it was no longer available. When I checked it out it said “best offer accepted”. I doubt there was the confusion that the seller thought I was whoever put in the best offer as you can see the buyers handle. I then immediately messaged the seller and asked them what happened, why did they accept a higher best offer from someone else after they told me to make the same amount of the purchase price I made...it didn’t make sense to me why they would do that...I didn’t receive a reply to my messages but received a refund from my original payment made, giving me the realisation that the seller disregarded our agreement and was going to go ahead with the new higher buyer. Yes I believe if I had received the message when I was awake things would be different but it is just extremely discouraging that I offered to do whatever I could to assist in the situation for weeks without hearing anything from the seller even thoigh they already had my money and then it just going to someone else...
Message 30 of 61
Latest reply