Refusal to send mother of pearl knives

Every time i try to bid on a pocket knife with mother of pearl handles im told it cant be sent to Australia because of customs restrictions. Absolutely ridiculous ive bought at least 6 knives with m.o.p. handles in the past before this g.s.p. **bleep** came in. When i got in touch with ebay 'help' (contradiction of terms) the best they came with is that the knives were 'gravity knives' and illegal here. Absolute load of cods wallop, all they are is small pocket knives that ive never had problems with before. There must be an angle here but i csnt work it out.
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I've never had any issues importing knives from overseas individual or in quantities. Neither the seller the postal service nor customs would be aware of the buyers age.
Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

Neither have I Cupboards......but I have never bought them from a seller using the GSP.

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

Just saying there are hassles with selling knives in Australia, some sellers will plead ignorance, others like myself will decide it is not worth the hassle.  As for Pitney Bowles or whoever they are I am sure they would be looking at their own accountability re supply

of a restricted item.   Just because ebay,telstra etc, customers are supposed to be over 18, does not mean they are.

One thing we are all agreed on, is that mother of pearl has nothing to do with it.

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

If you read the Customs site you will find that there are a very limited number of knives that are restricted for entry to Australia.

Pitney Bowes just takes the easy way out and will not bother to ship any knife.

Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

Not quite so.  But at least they lifted the restriction on one handed opening knives in 2015.   I sell some items that are fine here, but restricted in many other countries.  I have had items seized and destroyed,  once you start getting items seized and it starts to cost you money, you become a bit wary.  I wont sell to quite a few countries  and often advise buyers that I will only ship items if they can either provide proof that they are permitted to import  a specific order, or that they accept full responsibility for any issues, loss or costs associated with there relevant customs departments.  Most buyers then wont take the risk which they expect sellers to take.

Buyers dont give a rats if an item is seized as long as the costs and loss is born by the seller.

Just one example (nothing to do with me)  Related to the seizure of a BUTTERFLY HAIR COMB  (You read that right)  Reasoning being that it could be converted or used for parts to construct a Butterfly knife.

There is also considerable confusion and varying interpretations as to what constitutes  a double edged blade

Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

This discussion is about Pitney Bowes not sending knives.

Totally different to what Australian Customs will allow.

Pitney Bowes will not let ANY knives be sent to Australia.

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

somewhere the OP, which does not mention Pityney Bowes, but does mention customs restrictions, has been lost in Translation.

Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

from the Opening Post:

โ€Absolutely ridiculous ive bought at least 6 knives with m.o.p. handles in the past before this g.s.p. **bleep** came inโ€œ

GSP = Pitney Bowes

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

Something certainly seems to be getting lost in translation.

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Seriously they can confiscate it? if thats true it would explain something that happened a few months ago. I bought a small (and angain pearl handled) knife, it left the main depot in the U.S. and the just dissapeared. The seller couldnt find anything out and we just put it down to one of those things that happens. thanks again, il make sure i dont go through them again

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply