Seller sends wrong items.

tldv8
Community Member

I have had a pretty good run on eBay since 2003, its not hard, bid and pay promply if you win the auction.

In early Decemeber 2014 I was asked to purchase three dog beds as chosen by the wife.

Not a problem, I read the auctions that have measurements for Small - Medium and Large dog mat/beds and show her the sizes via tape measure, all is good.

I order and pay for one Medium and two Large.

I receive one Small and two Medium as per the auction sizes.

I contact the seller and they ask for them to be sent back  ( I keep one of the so called Large as it is infact a Medium)

I would add the three mats came in a used box that had broken wind screen glass under the internal flaps that i cleaned out.

The two wrong mats get sent back at a cost of $26 along with the completed return form.

Nothing happens so contact eBay.

The short story, I eventually get a refund for one mat but not the other so have to contact the seller again who does not want to reply until I contact ebay again, i had left feedback by then due to no contact and no refund for the other mat, ebay removed the feedback and closed the case so the seller then had the mat and the money payed for it ($43.90)

In the end the seller who had sent the wrong items finally payed a refund.

That being they refused to pay the return postage that I had to pay dure to their mistake.

The refund was partial ($27) as the postage to send me the wrong item was deducted.

Out of pocket over $40 and eBay it seems backed them up all the way.

Nice one ebay.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Seller sends wrong items.

tldv8
Community Member

I might add, not so much a moan but a head scatching moment, the seller seems to have got away with it and little I can do.

My question is, surely this is not something that happens regularly.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

This is why it is best to via the dispute process no matter how obliging the seller sounds and more so now with the ebay money back guarantee

It might take a bit longer but in the end if the seller does not refund you ebay will and then they add that onto the sellers next invoice

You must return anything with tracking and signature required and then the seller also pays the return postage when done via the ebay dispute

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

I had gone via eBay dispute because initially the seller had both wrong items returned and at that point I was some $76 out of pocket.

When I got the refund for one mat ebay closed the case, i then had to open another one (cringe)

Even ebay after looking at it said the initial feedback left was appropriate and then they removed it and all record of the auctions from my summary.

This is while one item was still not refunded

Basically the seller said even though they sent the wrong items no return post refund and take a partial refund on the other item or ......... and that is what they did refunded $27 (tonight) on a $43+ purchase.

I might try and phone eBay tomorrow, a waste I time I think but the principle.

I wonder if fee's from 20000 + feedback sellers is the priority, i might ask (haha)

I see the seller is collecting negatives for the same things, non factual discriptions and refund docking.

SHMBO says forget about it, its only money but did I mention principles .

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Sorry not $76 but $103 out of pocket until the initial one mat $33.90 refund which i might add was the amount payed for it. (They did not deduct their post cost as they did with the second)

I would think between the seller ( perhaps 6 emails sent ) and eBay 4 or more it is a lost cause.

End cost out of pocket  $42.90.

I might also add my first weeks wages (1976) was some $30 per week !

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@tldv8 wrote:

I might add, not so much a moan but a head scatching moment, the seller seems to have got away with it and little I can do.

My question is, surely this is not something that happens regularly.

out of interest, what was the item number. Do not give out the sellers ID. cheers

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

It would probably have gone better if you had just put in a dispute for not as described for all 3 and kept it as one complete transaction instead of keeping one and sending 2 back without doing it through the dispute, if ebay found in your favour then the seller would have had to pay for the return of all 3 and you would have got a full refund.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Item 351173348438  Item 351173348438

In the original auction the Large outside measurement was described as around 1100 mm wide, I like to think I am trusting for the most part so taking a screen shot of the auction never occurred to me.

When I contacted the seller, they asked that the wrong items be returned along with the returm form they emailed and they would then send the correct items (two large as payed for) at that point I probably would have been not worried about the return post if the correct items were then sent

Of course they then changed the future auctions because there is no large size of that measurement, the medium became the large by measurement.

I never heard anything back so had to open a dispute in January.

The dispute was on the 2 x large auction but eBay who knows how processed the dispute on the other single medium auction.

Remember since then ebay have removed both of these auctions from my summary along with any feedback left, I only have the Item numbers because they were in the first message to the seller.

In January I got a refund for the so called medium, all explained to ebay many times.

To recap.

$121 total payed promply to seller.

Items arrived stuffed in a pre used cardboard box.

Two are not the size as per the auction (the so called large is big enough for a small Pug) but the measurements match that of the auction Medium so keep one since I had payed for a medium regardless of its description and since it was technically correct had no reason to return it.

People make mistakes and they are sent back ($26 post) even the dispute progress update never happened.

Seller then says this month the policy for changing your mind ??? means no refund of return post and the delivery post is also deducted.

I had been dealing with the same person from the second message sent, they simply ignore the fact they sent the wrong items.

eBay agreed but simply did nothing and removed easy reply to them after each contact.

A $28 refund minus paypal fee was sent last night on the $43.90 purchase and that seems to be the end of it as far as they are concerned including eBay it seems.

I think when you are dealing with someone who simply will not listen the writing is on the wall, according to the seller they have done nothing wrong, I simply changed my mind !

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Here is the sellers own return policy that they kept putting in the latest mesages.

Full refund minus actual postage charged by Australia Post. To qualify for change of mind/incorrect choice refund/return the item must be in its original and saleable condition and unopened in the original packaging.

Refunds by law: In Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business for goods purchased if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match description. More information at returns - opens in a new window or tab.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Case closed.

I rang eBay for a polite conversation.

They could. not explain why they had removed the auctions from my summary.

They said the second dispute had not been esculated, I expalined eBay simply stopped contact after their initial responce and I had then had to go through customer service and had got a reply and then the same, nothing.

I then asked why the feedback on two auctions was removed when at that time the seller had two items returned and in their posession and the the payment for them,  they were very helpful and asked that I go on to hold while they looked into it  which I said  was no problem.

Elevator music and then the call was terminated.

Thanks for your time members who replied in this thread.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply