Sellers lying as to their location Why hasn't ebay done something about this ebay is complicit

1joe53
Community Member

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Sellers lying as to their location Why hasn't ebay done something about this ebay is complicit

You will need to ask eBay

Easy enough to see where a seller is registered and their feedback

Or look at the estimated delivery date

And their feedback will show if they lie about where the item is located 

If  a buyer(s) avoided buying from sellers who are lying, they also stop helping them stay in business 

Simples

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Re: Sellers lying as to their location Why hasn't ebay done something about this ebay is complicit

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If you care to notice, each and every listing has this notice -

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Well, I agree its a problem. Sellers claim to have Australian stock and then its ten days from order to Australia Post actually getting the goods. That says very clearly to me its NOT Au stock.  More likely overseas, its picked, packages and addressed overseas and shipped, in bulk to Au. And then dumped at AP's door step.

I order from non EBay supplier and I get my delivery, consistently, in a quarter to a third of the time. Still from Australia Post.

While not EBay's problem officially, it is destroying my faith in EBay as a dependable service.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

The last seller you left feedback for is registered in China and their feedback is horrid

No surprise buying from such a seller will result in disappointment 

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

The last seller I left feedback for claimed the item was in Sydney Australia. I have to rely on the seller being truthful.

And they have 96% positive feedback.

Sandy, do you dispute either point ?

Davo

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

No, you do not 'rely on the seller', not if you care about who you are buying from and what you are buying

Of course a seller will say whatever they need to to make themselves look good and get the sale, especially  a dodgy one like this

You only need to look at their feedback and see that many other buyers have had problems

96% positive is awful for a high volume seller

Worse than awful

100% dispute both points

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

My point was that this sort of thing is making me loose faith in EBay as a reliable platform. I click the little box, left hand side, that says "Australia Only", its not unreasonable for me to assume I am now being shown only sellers in Australia. EBay, not the lying seller, provides that filter box to tick, EBay, not the cheating seller, applies a filter and chooses which seller's page to show me. And most overseas sellers disappear when I click that box !

Ebay manages the platform, EBay apparently does not care that the seller is "tricking"  EBay into being a party to this lie.

Perhaps EBay needs to provide another filter tick box, one labeled "Really Australia Only" - they obviously know who is and who isn't lying, that have that data on record. Yes, I just found it, click on "Seller Information" link. I have never thought to look for extra conformation  !

I take your point that 96% is not good, sounds pretty good to me but I will now regard it as horrible. I once got 96% for a physics exam, I thought that was pretty good....

Davo

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

The problem is not confined to ebay, in fact it is not even confined to online.  The exact same problems can and do occur with  B&M stores.  

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@591dawnb wrote:

My point was that this sort of thing is making me loose faith in EBay as a reliable platform. I click the little box, left hand side, that says "Australia Only", its not unreasonable for me to assume I am now being shown only sellers in Australia.

eBay defines "Australia Only" as the seller having their stock in Australia, obviously some sellers will abuse that criteria when they do have a warehouse in Australia but not all of their goods are actually there.

That is why it's important to look at their feedback page and note where they are registered as well as looking at their negs and neutrals to see if there's any indication of them drop-shipping.

I take your point that 96% is not good, sounds pretty good to me but I will now regard it as horrible. I once got 96% for a physics exam, I thought that was pretty good....

Most responders here see 99.5% feedback as the lowest percentage for a high-volume seller as the point where you need to be aware that there could be problems with the transaction.

Edit/ G'day GP.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply