Sneaker authentication

I purchased a pair of shoes covered by ebays authentication program.  The seller took quite a while to send them and when I went to email the seller asking how long they think it would be until they send them I see I cannot ask the seller any questions. Super annoying but anyway. I then got an message saying they had been sent to the authenticator. 

So now it’s been nearly 2 weeks and it still just says ‘item has been sent to authenticator. 

My question is does this mean it’s at the authenticator still waiting to be dispatched from there to me, or is it lost in transit? Does it get scanned when it arrives at the authenticator? 

There is a serious lack of communication and it’s past when it was due to arrive and I’m inclined to open a item not received case, but if I just knew the process was happening I would be a bit more patient and understanding that there’s a delay. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Sneaker authentication

The Delta variant is ravaging NSW, and there are no signs of the Delta outbreaks in Melbourne getting under control, either. This variant is so viciously infectious that there is no room for any error or "let's wait and see if this sniffle is anything but a sniffle" or "I'm a sovereign citizen and I want my freedom". If we were all 100% compliant, I could see Victoria snuffing out these outbreaks, but if the compliancy is even 90%, it's too little to control Delta. E.G., there are persons working in the Sunshine area as essential workers who are infectious, but who have not stepped up to be tested. The wastewater results make it clear. It only takes one person to ignore the call to get tested, or to ignore a runny nose (on the grounds of "Meh, it's just a runny nose") for Delta to beat us like cake batter.

All of this means that ... yes, throughout all of Greater Melbourne (and through regional Vic as well), we are in severe lockdown; we can't try on shoes or clothes, which is just another ongoing frustration in all of the many frustrations that lockdown imposes. Online purchases are the only ones we can make.

However, we can still purchase from the big shops / shopping centres / local stores, and in many cases click and collect is available. (REAL click-and-collect, not eBay's weird idea of it.) Authenticity won't even be an issue if you purchase from a recognised authorised footwear or sportswear seller. dave's advice about avoiding risky purchases online is really based on avoiding those purchases through unknown and possibly unauthorised sellers on eBay  or other online marketplaces rather than through the big box sellers' own websites or their presence on eBay. (And of course he also mentions the benefit of actually trying on shoes or clothes. While we can't do that in Melbourne during this latest horrible lockdown, almost every clothing or shoe seller that I know will accept returns for items that, when you receive them, do not fit, and we can then ask for the next size up or next size down (as appropriate) to be sent. Australian sellers really are doing everything they can in most cases to help buyers deal with the restrictions.)

As long as the seller is a legitimate business in Australia, with an ABN and good reputation, authorised to sell the desired sneakers, the purchase is not going to encounter the difficulties or delays that you've mentioned, OP. Of course, your purchase could still go smoothly (even if there's a delay) - but buying online, especially in a pandemic, means that you need to accept that there will probably be delays because of the very thing that is driving more people to buy online at this time. C'est la vie.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Yes, it does sound as if there is a distinct lack of communication. If you knew for sure they were with the authenticator you would have some peace of mind. It would make sense if customers were kept informed every step of the way.

I can't confirm for  you where the shoes are or whether authenticators do send out messages to clients to keep them in the loop so my only advice to you would be to note the estimated due date (which you mention has already passed) and add on 30 days from there, because if you are to open an ebay item not received claim, you'll need to do it before that deadline.

It is hard, because Aus post currently has a lot of workers self isolating and I presume deliveries are going to be running way behind. However, your problem isn't the delay, if I read it right. It is the lack of information.

If you don't get any notification of any kind as to where your parcel is in the system then I think you'll have no choice but to cover yourself and make a claim. But perhaps you could give it a few more days.

Even if you can contact the seller, unless they can give you relevant tracking information, I think you'll need to go ahead with a claim.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Thank you for the response. This is the most relevant response and you’re obviously aware of the authentication program through eBay. 

So yeah, that’s exactly how I feel, I just wish there was a notification saying, the sneakers have been sent to the authentication centre, the authentication centre now have them and they are awaiting authentication, please expect some delays as they are busy. Or something like that, just some reassurance. 
At this point all I know is that 3 weeks ago the seller had sent the shoes for authentication. 
I think I will just put in a claim. I really still want the shoes and I’m happy to wait a few weeks if I know that they are just delayed. But yeah, I have to assume at this point that they have somehow become lost in transit or something. 

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Perhaps it would help if you'd read the link I put up.

How long will the authentication process take? How long until I get my item?

After you purchase your eligible item, it is sent to eBay's authentication partner, who will inspect your item within two business days of receipt. Once authenticity is verified, the item will be sent on to you with free, tracked delivery.

How do I track the status of my item?

Once your item has been inspected, you'll receive an order update email with the next steps. You can check the status of your order throughout the Authenticity Guarantee process in your Purchase history.

Is signature confirmation required upon delivery?

Signature confirmation is required for all deliveries. Please note that we are unable to deliver to PO boxes.

More info here -

eBay Authenticity Guarantee for Sneakers | eBay.com.au

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

This is exactly what happened to me .. ordered yeezys on 8th .. and ordered it just to make they will be authentic.. 

Bought it on 8th and there are no updates after 9th .. Tried tracking them they are at the same location since.. 

Ordered it here after seeing all the ads everywhere.. again as you said serious lack of communication when it comes to your queries.. 

didn’t know the service was going to be so poor .. lemme know if anyone here provides any actual help apart from the same articles and buying sneakers in stores suggestions.. 

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

The listing says 7 - 10 business days for delivery it is still only 5 business days since your purchase - patience is a virtue..................

Edit. Their handling time is 3 days as well so that could be added to the total. Remember once they print a postage label, eBay will mark the item as "sent" even if it is still being processed.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

It's also worth bearing in mind that Australia Post have had to furlough quite a few staff lately, and a temporary suspension on parcel collections has created a significant backlog. Some postal centres have been closed. There are flow-on effects from the COVID-19 Delta variant outbreaks in Sydney and Melbourne especially, affecting deliveries Australia-wide as a result.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Really, countess?

People should realise that COVID might affect their deliveries?

Right!!!!

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

I'm just mentioning it as a possibility, dave... just a little possibility in the alphabet soup of life...

RoseColouredGlasses-girl(Aiwan).gif

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply