Waiting for USPS Priority Package from the US to Australia

Hi,

I had bought an item from the US to arrive in Australia.  The seller used USPS priority because USPS Express had some restrictions due to the value of the item.  Anyhow, I was given the tracking number and the last update on the USPS site says it has been processed through sort facility on the 21/09.  There have been no scans showing that it has arrived in Australia.  It is now 15/10. I am a bit worried and contacted the seller last week and they have lodged an inquiry with USPS.  USPS have said that they will investigate and if the seller does not hear back from them within 24 days to call back.  Just wanted to know if anyone has experience delays receiving USPS priority mail.  The seller was told  it would take 6-10 days and it's way past now.  The seller has been great communicating with me so don't have any bad feeling about them.  They have been great.  I was also wondering how long should I wait in case it hasn't arrived to file a dispute. 

Message 1 of 76
Latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

That's a real worry and thanks for shedding some light.  I did a search for Chicago sort facility problems and found that you're right that it has been known for long delays and missing packages.  I hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones and it eventually turns up.  This is the tracking info I have with no further updates.  It's now close to 4 weeks.

Processed Through Sort Facility, Sep-21-12, 14:18 PM, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)Arrived at Sort Facility, Sep-21-12, 14:17 PM, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility, Sep-21-12, 11:48 AM, CHICAGO, IL, 60688Dispatched to Sort Facility, Sep-20-12, 17:04 PM, OZARK, MO, 65721Acceptance, Sep-20-12, 10:06 AM, OZARK, MO, 65721

Message 11 of 76
Latest reply

Oh dear, Chicago Sorting Facility is notorious for being a black hole into which ebay parcels disappear, never to be seen again.

Just make sure you do not miss the cutoff time for opening a dispute.

Chicago sorting facility? :_|

My granddaughters dolls went MIA in that place for weeks before suddenly appearing in Sydney customs.

Message 12 of 76
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is just on 12 months since there were numerous threads appearing on the boards about overdue parcels from the USA and the one common denominator was Chicago.

I had several parcels take a lot longer than usual but the best one was a Christmas cookie jar that was sent at the end of October which turned up in mid February.

Message 13 of 76
Latest reply

The US system either works brilliantly - or not at all.

My last shipment through USPS took almost 4 weeks to arrive, the normal wait time for me is 10 days, occassionally 14.

That last parcel sat in the sorting facility (I think NY?) for over 2 weeks....

Hang in there, it might still turn up!

Message 14 of 76
Latest reply

Maybe thats why on one of my orders from the states,  i have been quoted a shipment time of over a month!   Crazy.

Message 15 of 76
Latest reply

My gosh that's so long.  I don't like waiting.  Did the buyer file a dispute to get their money back. 

Message 16 of 76
Latest reply

There is no surface mail from the US so no parcel should take longer than 40 days, I would probably open a dispute after 28 days then give it another 19 before escalating to a claim.

There is surface mail from Canada so it is feasible that some US sellers who live near the border may use that service.

However the seller is posting and no matter where it is coming from you need to open a dispute before the 45 day deadline.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 17 of 76
Latest reply

I had a USPS priority mail international large box take a month longer than usual recently. Just turned up in the end. It was from LA. I did get something heavy sent surface from the US and it took 3 months to get here but was very cheap postage and made it worth it.

Message 18 of 76
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It must have been a very long time ago John.  There has been no surface mail from the USA since 2007.

Message 19 of 76
Latest reply

Happy to say that my package finally arrived today.  All up it took a month.  I was also lucky that the postman knew me from previous deliveries he has made because the seller had the wrong house number for the address and he picked up on it.

Message 20 of 76
Latest reply