eBay is dead to me I guess nothing last forever thx GST

I'm one of those who don't care for any Announcement. I buy a lot of cheap items here almost 5 days a wk. So you can imagine my eyes popping out when each transaction, say 10 items, on top of it was added $10-20. I cancel my CC long time ago because these tiny cents charges are a no no with me. Looking at my bank statement, terriying too because these GST was charged after these items i bought from eBay. Not happening MAD AS HELL Goodbye eBay.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Message 11 of 42
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

GST should not be applicable on any second hand items from overseas sellers.

I don’t think the ‘cheap’ items that kessendra posted about were 2nd hand items from small sellers. In fact, most of the nearly 1000 feedback for purchases on that ID were left by just one seller, and NOT for second hand items.

Why would you introduce the ‘GST on 2nd hand items’ argument on a thread that, until you mentioned it, had nothing to do with GST on 2nd items?

Spoiler
unless it is just a continuation of your self serving ‘anti-GST on imports’ stance.

You aren’t interested in how the GST on 2nd hand imports affects small time buyers, only in how it affects your ability to add to your collections of rare and one-off items.

I mentioned it because it gives a bit of breadth to the scenario.

I work hard for my money in a job that can be monotonous at times. I like to treat myself to a little something I like every now and then and what I can afford. GST has now made my enjoyment not as frequent. The addition of GST on the items I buy (most of them 2nd hand) is wrong and unjust. I also shouldn't be judged for what I spend my money on.

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

GST should not be applicable on any second hand items from overseas sellers.

I don’t think the ‘cheap’ items that kessendra posted about were 2nd hand items from small sellers. In fact, most of the nearly 1000 feedback for purchases on that ID were left by just one seller, and NOT for second hand items.

Why would you introduce the ‘GST on 2nd hand items’ argument on a thread that, until you mentioned it, had nothing to do with GST on 2nd items?

Spoiler
unless it is just a continuation of your self serving ‘anti-GST on imports’ stance.

You aren’t interested in how the GST on 2nd hand imports affects small time buyers, only in how it affects your ability to add to your collections of rare and one-off items.

If there was a GST exemption for items only available from overseas then that would open the floodgates to tax avoidance.

Spoiler
when people suffer” . . . . . . . . LOL, like collectors paying GST on second hand imports rates as “suffering”

I'm only talking about 2nd hand items, most of which are a fraction of the new goods that are bought from overseas

Message 12 of 42
Latest reply

That'll learn ya for bumping an old thread

Message 13 of 42
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I mentioned it because it gives a bit of breadth to the scenario.

I work hard for my money in a job that can be monotonous at times. I like to treat myself to a little something I like every now and then and what I can afford. GST has now made my enjoyment not as frequent. The addition of GST on the items I buy (most of them 2nd hand) is wrong and unjust. I also shouldn't be judged for what I spend my money on.

Oh for goodness sake, stop with the dramatics.  The GST is not that onerous.

For every 10 items you would have bought you can now only buy nine.  Big deal.
Message 14 of 42
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

That'll learn ya for bumping an old thread

this thread was at the very top of the thread list this morning when I looked at the boards.

As kessendra had forecast her departure from eBay, in quite a dramatic post, I thought it relevant to highlight that he/she is still buying on eBay, with most of that buying from overseas sellers.

The mods are busy moving threads from one board to another.

I wish they would spend half as much time locking old threads as they do moving threads around.

Maybe they are overworked!  More likely they have had no leadership shown to them by eBay following the (hollow) promise made by michelloz that old threads would be locked.

Message 15 of 42
Latest reply

now lyndal, that is not being sympathetic to another member who is clearly suffering!

Message 16 of 42
Latest reply

Very true....care factor zero.Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 42
Latest reply

I'm only talking about 2nd hand items, most of which are a fraction of the new goods that are bought from overseas

The only exemptions to GST should be food exemptions that currently exist, and some most essential items . . . . . . certainly not treats.

Not judging you on your interest in building your collections, just your attitude towards GST on non-essential low-cost 2nd hand imports.

Just out of interest, and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, just how much extra per year will the GST on low-cost imports cost you? I’m just curious.

Spoiler
I will mention that this is a loaded question that I have asked.  Loaded because if it is only a smallish $ amount like $50-$60 then I would say “ha, so much hoo-hah over such a small amount paid in GST”, and if it is a large amount like $500-$600 I would say “ha, so you are complaining that you have to pay GST on $5,000-$6,000 of indulgent treats purchases” 

Message 18 of 42
Latest reply

I managed to score a few collectables from overseas over the last couple of weeks. Even with the GST, they still came in way under what they are really worth. I did not begrudge paying the GST at all because I still came out in front. If I wanted to sell them, which I don't, I could make a shyte load of money. 2 of the items came via GSP and even with that cost, they still cost way under their true worth.

Spoiler
I guess mentioning both GST and GSP in the same post is sure to open a can of worms....
Spoiler
Sorry
Spoiler
I won't do it again
Spoiler
Just trying to prove a point.
Message 19 of 42
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

The only exemptions to GST should be food exemptions that currently exist, and some most essential items . . . . . . certainly not treats.

With all due respect my friend, you're wrong there, I totally disagree. What you believe or what some politictian dictates doesn't mean it's right or just. I stand on what I say. Second hand items bought from overseas should not have GST charges attatched. This only happened this year and it's an unjust thing. Almost like ......

__The PAY THE TROLL WHEN YOU CROSS THE BRIDGE Tax__

It's an extortion.

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Not judging you on your interest in building your collections, just your attitude towards GST on non-essential low-cost 2nd hand imports.

Just out of interest, and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, just how much extra per year will the GST on low-cost imports cost you? I’m just curious.

Spoiler
I will mention that this is a loaded question that I have asked.  Loaded because if it is only a smallish $ amount like $50-$60 then I would say “ha, so much hoo-hah over such a small amount paid in GST”, and if it is a large amount like $500-$600 I would say “ha, so you are complaining that you have to pay GST on $5,000-$6,000 of indulgent treats purchases” 

What I pay extra for GST on what second hand items I buy from overseas (some from people just selling off their posessions) is more than what I should pay! The amount of GST.

You might like to pay GST on things even second hand items from normal people selling their excess stuiff they no longer need then fine. If that's good for you then great. But not for me.

BTW: I would rather see my money going directly to help refugees in Africa and the Middle East, even help them settle here than GST going to cover what a privatsation mad govt has lost in revenue.

Spoiler
BTW: What do you think about that plaster of paris moulded garden figure of a PM giving tax cuts to the super wealthy or bank executives getting $$$$50,000,000 golden handshakes?

Message 20 of 42
Latest reply