eBay is dead to me I guess nothing last forever thx GST

I'm one of those who don't care for any Announcement. I buy a lot of cheap items here almost 5 days a wk. So you can imagine my eyes popping out when each transaction, say 10 items, on top of it was added $10-20. I cancel my CC long time ago because these tiny cents charges are a no no with me. Looking at my bank statement, terriying too because these GST was charged after these items i bought from eBay. Not happening MAD AS HELL Goodbye eBay.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

@4channel (not going to quote all of your post because that would make this post too long)

With all due respect my friend, you're wrong there, I totally disagree. What you believe or what some politictian dictates doesn't mean it's right or just. I stand on what I say. Second hand items bought from overseas should not have GST charges attatched. This only happened this year and it's an unjust thing.

All legislation in Australia is subject to amendment as times change.  The Australian retail market is vastly different now to what it was when the legislation was drafted before July 2000 . . . . . . and other aspects of life/attitudes in Australia are also in a state of flux.

As an example far removed from GST on eBay items, the government has recently said it will no longer apply GST on tampons and other sanitary items.  In my opinion, this is a long overdue change to GST legislation.

I have posted before that when the GST was introduced e-commerce was just about unheard of.  With the rise in e-commerce comes a need to look at the GST on imported goods.  Having exemptions on 2nd hand overseas items would invite tax evasion on a huge scale.  Imagine the many false customs declarations stating that the items are 2nd hand or personal items from ordinary folk.

If the GST was introduced at a time of high volume e-commerce then I am sure that GST on low-cost imports would have been included in the legislation.  As it is, the recent changes for low-cost imports is just a catch up change that was planned to start in July 2017 but was put off for one year to iron out the difficulties of collection method.

Are you against any changes to the original GST legislation or do you feel that it should not ever change?

Spoiler
using ”plaster of paris moulded garden figure of a PM” instead of “garden gnome” is really a bit childish.  Just call him “former PM John Howard” for goodness sake.
Spoiler
and please stop using the references of “my friend” and “amigo” when replying to me.  Although you have not used amigo in this reply post you have used it in reply to me before.  We are not friends and I am sure that you and I are not Mexican, well I know I am not.

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@4channel (not going to quote all of your post because that would make this post too long)

All legislation in Australia is subject to amendment as times change.  The Australian retail market is vastly different now to what it was when the legislation was drafted before July 2000 . . . . . . and other aspects of life/attitudes in Australia are also in a state of flux.

As an example far removed from GST on eBay items, the government has recently said it will no longer apply GST on tampons and other sanitary items.  In my opinion, this is a long overdue change to GST legislation.

I have posted before that when the GST was introduced e-commerce was just about unheard of.  With the rise in e-commerce comes a need to look at the GST on imported goods.  Having exemptions on 2nd hand overseas items would invite tax evasion on a huge scale.  Imagine the many false customs declarations stating that the items are 2nd hand or personal items from ordinary folk.

If the GST was introduced at a time of high volume e-commerce then I am sure that GST on low-cost imports would have been included in the legislation.  As it is, the recent changes for low-cost imports is just a catch up change that was planned to start in July 2017 but was put off for one year to iron out the difficulties of collection method.

Are you against any changes to the original GST legislation or do you feel that it should not ever change?

Thanks for your post cobber. I do apreciate your time you took.  Yes you have a point, exempting second hand items from OS could encourage tax evasion. But if you weigh that up against the current govt's pandering to lobby groups, wealthy business  elite and giving tax cuts to the super wealthy as well as changing laws that  perks such as banking executives getting 50 Million dollar goden handshakes (Our bank fees pay for that), I think the few that would rort the system pales in comparison to what's going on in the "officially allowed" scene.

I am against GST full stop. It was brought in to scrape more money from the workers of Australia. So what do I want, well, I want to see exemption for buying second hand items from overseas.

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Spoiler
using ”plaster of paris moulded garden figure of a PM instead of “garden gnome” is really a bit childish.  Just call him “former PM John Howard” for goodness sake.
Spoiler
and please stop using the references of “my friend” and “amigo” when replying to me.  Although you have not used amigo in this reply post you have used it in reply to me before.  We are not friends and I am sure that you and I are not Mexican, well I know I am not.

Spoiler

I hear you, I know you don't like it. To be honest, the man (And you need to see 20 lies of John Howard and counting which was on the ALP or AWU website for years) is a not a good man.

I honestly do think it's better I refer to him as that or "A figuine that you can purchase at Bunnings for your garden" than what Mark Latham, Senator Bob Brown or former leader of the Australian Labor Party, Mr. Simon Crean (A real decent chap IMO) have said about him. I'm not sure what Senator Doug cameron  and former PM Malcolm Fraser have said so I won't quote them. But believe me, my references to Howard are much more kinder than those by Latham, Brown and Crean! So which do you prefer?

OK, I'll just refere to you by name then

Spoiler
All good k1ooo-slr-sales  Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

And Latham is credible because?

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

And Latham is credible because?

Latham not credible. Bit too much of a redneck for me. More credible than  the GN though. Just mentioning that theye have choice names for that guy. Crean is credible as is Malcolm Fraser and Doug Cameron.

Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

Non-core promises did it for me.

However, regardless of your politics, at least you knew what he stood for.

I defy you to name one current politician (except from the loonie fringes) who stands for anything.

Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

I know the value of the collectables that I buy, including LP and 45 records. I don't know who you're buying from overseas, but even with the GST applied, I'm still picking up records and other collectables I want for way less than what I could buy them for here. I don't want to sell them, because I want them for my collections. I'm paying a fraction of their worth. I could make a killing if I did decide to sell. If I do decide to sell, I'll let you know. GST free of course!

I guess the difference between you and me is, I look at the overall price. You look at the purchase price and then think you're being ripped off because you have to pay GST and GSP or other postage costs. I suppose $10 with $20 postage sounds so much worse than $30 with free postage. It does, doesn't it? Regardless of how the seller sells it, you're paying the same price. 

Sometimes though, us collectors have to go.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, that's a rip off, and close the page down. It happens unfortunately. Sometimes that item is the.....I.....must......have.....that......item.....at......all.....costs........ But the overall cost is outrageous. It hurts. Oh boy, it really hurts at times, but you just have to hit that X and move on. If it's still there in a years time, then contact the seller with an offer (sometimes that pays off).

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

@4channel

Thanks for your post cobber. I do apreciate your time you took.  Yes you have a point, exempting second hand items from OS could encourage tax evasion. But if you weigh that up against the current govt's pandering to lobby groups, wealthy business  elite and giving tax cuts to the super wealthy as well as changing laws that  perks such as banking executives getting 50 Million dollar goden handshakes (Our bank fees pay for that), I think the few that would rort the system pales in comparison to what's going on in the "officially allowed" scene.

I am against GST full stop. It was brought in to scrape more money from the workers of Australia. So what do I want, well, I want to see exemption for buying second hand items from overseas.

Spoiler

I hear you, I know you don't like it. To be honest, the man (And you need to see 20 lies of John Howard and counting which was on the ALP or AWU website for years) is a not a good man.

I honestly do think it's better I refer to him as that or "A figuine that you can purchase at Bunnings for your garden" than what Mark Latham, Senator Bob Brown or former leader of the Australian Labor Party, Mr. Simon Crean (A real decent chap IMO) have said about him. I'm not sure what Senator Doug cameron  and former PM Malcolm Fraser have said so I won't quote them. But believe me, my references to Howard are much more kinder than those by Latham, Brown and Crean! So which do you prefer?

OK, I'll just refere to you by name then

where to start?

Thanks for your post cobber.

Now you are really being disrespectful and childish, d!ck !

The banks . . . . . . what have the banks and exec bonuses got to do with GST on eBay imports? Answer: NOTHING, you are going off on a tangent solely to have a go at the Government . . . . . . the real target of your angst.

The difference between what Mark Latham, Senator Bob Brown, Simon Crean, Senator Doug Cameron and former PM Malcolm Fraser have called John Howard and yourself is that NONE of those men you mentioned post here on these boards, but you do.

Regardless of your personal feelings against John Howard, when you use childish derisive name-calling you lose credibility in my opinion.  Attack his record, not his appearance or mannerisms.

Spoiler
I don’t have any personal admiration or loathing of John Howard and his achievements (both good and bad) as Prime Minister.  I just feel that the action of name calling and belittling him is a distraction tactic that would be used by someone who does not have a strong case for their stance . . . . . playing the man and not the ball so to speak.

Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Sometimes though, us collectors have to go.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, that's a rip off, and close the page down. It happens unfortunately. Sometimes that item is the.....I.....must......have.....that......item.....at......all.....costs........ But the overall cost is outrageous. It hurts. Oh boy, it really hurts at times, but you just have to hit that X and move on. If it's still there in a years time, then contact the seller with an offer (sometimes that pays off).

I saw a Georgian inkwell by a very famous maker, in perfect condition. The seller had it listed for something like £900.

Even though I wanted that inkwell as a goat wants to chew up newly washed underwear on the line, I resisted, although my tears were bitter. It was very, very, very beautiful. It took enormous self-control to hold back.

(And some other collector bought it two months later. May his tongue turn to cardboard and his eyes to custard.)

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I know the value of the collectables that I buy, including LP and 45 records. I don't know who you're buying from overseas, but even with the GST applied, I'm still picking up records and other collectables I want for way less than what I could buy them for here. I don't want to sell them, because I want them for my collections. I'm paying a fraction of their worth. I could make a killing if I did decide to sell. If I do decide to sell, I'll let you know. GST free of course!

I guess the difference between you and me is, I look at the overall price. You look at the purchase price and then think you're being ripped off because you have to pay GST and GSP or other postage costs. I suppose $10 with $20 postage sounds so much worse than $30 with free postage. It does, doesn't it? Regardless of how the seller sells it, you're paying the same price. 

I remember the good old days when we didn't have GSTattatched to second han items from people selling off their unwanted items or the massive inconvinence of Global Shipping and the need to navigate around it.

My beef is that GST on these items which should not have GST attatched to them has made it harder for me.  And if I were to never buy off eBay again and could find an alternative source, I'd still be highly annoyed as I don't like to see other people suffering. No normal person does.

BTW: and if you look at what this thread is about, you'll see the original poster (kessendra ) started it because they are suffering.

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

where to start?

Thanks for your post cobber.

Now you are really being disrespectful and childish, d!ck !

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whoah, hang on a minute k1ooo-slr-sales , I WAS NOT being disrespectful and how dare you throw that at me!

I call people mate cobber etc on often occasion and you have no call to come at me with that. And FYI, up until a short while ago, I thought  of you as a kind of an allright sort of bloke (assuming I'm right there)

The banks . . . . . . what have the banks and exec bonuses got to do with GST on eBay imports? Answer: NOTHING, you are going off on a tangent solely to have a go at the Government . . . . . . the real target of your angst.

The difference between what Mark Latham, Senator Bob Brown, Simon Crean, Senator Doug Cameron and former PM Malcolm Fraser have called John Howard and yourself is that NONE of those men you mentioned post here on these boards, but you do.

Regardless of your personal feelings against John Howard, when you use childish derisive name-calling you lose credibility in my opinion.  Attack his record, not his appearance or mannerisms.

Credibility or no credibilit in your eyes, my referring to Howard as a garden gnome was the kindest thing I could call him.  He is not a PM in my eyes, and never was!  And certainly not a  good man either. Malcolm Fraser disconnected himself from the Libs and part of the reason why was his disgust at the racist bigotry within.. The point I was trying to make about that so-called PM was that I could call him what Crean, Latham and Brown called him, but the GN tag was a lot milder. That's all!

d!ck !

My name is not Richard!

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply