ebay why don't you have any decorum? Received email...

You've turned out pretty great M, time to thank your mum!

Well ebay I lost my dear Mum in 1989!!! I would love nothing moe than to be able to speak to her...

Why not just send an email saying quite genericly... our Mother's Day sale is on etc....

not impressed...

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

imastawka
Honored Contributor

This is a member to member help forum.  

Ebay don't read here.

Sorry you lost your mum, but how is ebay supposed to know?

Message 2 of 60
Latest reply

@puppylove1958 wrote:

You've turned out pretty great M, time to thank your mum!

Well ebay I lost my dear Mum in 1989!!! I would love nothing moe than to be able to speak to her...

Why not just send an email saying quite genericly... our Mother's Day sale is on etc....

not impressed...

We totally agree - while I'm still lucky enough to have my Mum, my partner isn't.

We actually discussed how the wording could affect someone who has recently lost their mother.

In our opinion, the wording is very insensitive & not at all well thought out - and we're generally totally politically incorrect so this comment is not coming from that angle at all.

Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

This same email went out to Catherine Brenner, Andrew Antoniolli and Adrian Ernest Bayley.

I found the subject of the email odd. I suspect collusion with Santa Claus, since it clearly knows whether I've been naughty or nice.

Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

It surprised me when I received it.

Not so much now, but it would certainly have stung a bit if I'd received it in May 2011, or 2012, or even 2013.

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

somehow I think the world has become a little to sensitive.   My  Dad sent me a xmas card a few years back, one of those electronic ones, forwarded through some online mob.    But I was also fortunate enough to receive an electronic birthday card from my Dad

via the same programme  several months after his Death.    These things do happen, move on.

Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

Your Dad must have been thinking ahead.....you can set up these electronic greetings and say when you want them sent.

Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Your Dad must have been thinking ahead.....you can set up these electronic greetings and say when you want them sent.

Probably, but I like to think it was a bit more mysterious.  Especially as I was the only one who received any follow up cards.  Anyway

these things all  depend on how you choose to look at them, and out of all the cards I have ever received, I probably enjoyed that one the most.

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

A similar email was sent last year, and was met with similar chagrin. 

I don't think their marketing department is all that clued in on social norms, sensitivites etc, as most of their promotional subject lines are inciteful (in a bad way) and / or eyerollingly bad (eg if you so much as mistakenly glance at an item listed on eBay, a few days later they'll send emails like "What are you waiting for?". It immediately makes me not want to buy anything, - like when I'm just about to get up and do the dishes, and then some bright spark says "jeez, could you do the dishes?" so I immediately switch to "no, you"

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

The banks do it even better. A  few weeks after my mum died, her credit card and my dad's both expired and the bank sent out new ones - two separate envelopes, one addressed to him, one to her. As he knew what they were, he didn't bother to open Mum's envelope just wrote "Customer deceased. Return to sender", on it and sent it back. Fast forward a couple of months and he recieved in the mail some promotional material from the same bank. again there were two separate envelopes, one addressed to him and one addressed to "The Deceased Customer." 

Message 10 of 60
Latest reply