recalled item

Hi all I recieved a message from eBay saying an item i purchaseda long time ago has been recalled. I have contacted the seller he told me to contact the help desk .?? Well the option is not there I just keep getting sent back to page one. this is the item..
Item details: 175150186923 - 300Mbps Wifi Extender Repeater Range Booster AP Router AU Wireless-N 802.11 HOT. Cheers Chris.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: recalled item

@rover_gunn wrote:

Hi all i seem to be getting is targeted by the members. by law if a product is recalled due to an electrical fault catches fire or can cause a person to be shocked. it comes back to the seller and the sellers supplier and it also falls back on eBay to make sure customers of eBay are contacted if an item has been sold through eBay. It is the same if you supplied an item to Coles and it was recalled for what ever reason you take it back to Coles and they in turn send the item back to the supplier.

All I am doing is asking a question so there is no need to be in an attacking mode.

sorry I asked.

No one here is trying to target you, but more trying to establish what happened. 

In your original message, you said, " I received a message from eBay ".

So we didn't know exactly how you received that message-via email, ebay messages, phone message etc

Okay, now you have clarified it was actually in your ebay messages.

You can contact ebay help but you won't be able to phone them. In business hours, you can get ebay chat, which is where you type back & forth.

Click on where it says ebay help in blue at the top of the page. It should open a new tab for customer service.

Scroll down tto the very bottom. All the top parts will be links to information pages because basically, ebay doesn't want to chat to you if they can help it, but they will as a last resort.

You may have to choose  a category. I am trying it out and clicked return an item for a refund.

A new page loads and on the left is an option to 'Chat with our automated assistant'.

Start that up. You'll have to persist. It will say that it will help you with your issue or connect you with an agent. This is what you want. So type in your question and if it asks you if it has solved it you have to keep saying no till a real person comes online. It may take a little while.

I personally don't know that this will get you the answers you are after. You need to find out what the issue is with the item & who you are supposed to return it to, since the seller is not co-operating.

You are right in that Australian stores such as Coles will sometimes issue a recall of products they have sold but the consumer laws for ebay purchases are a lot more murky.

Quite a few sellers on ebay are not registered businesses, quite a few sellers are located overseas.

Personally, if I received a message from ebay about a product that I had bought long ago, I'd be shocked. I was puzzled by the whole thing but after reading countess's summary, I suspect she may have pinpointed the reason. If ebay genuinely did send that message, then there is something seriously wrong with the product, it is highly dangerous, don't use it.

The only reason ebay would get involved is to cover their own backsides.

Good luck getting through and please let us know how you get on.

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

As you've been made aware there is a problem with the item, if you continue to use it and it causes damage to the home, it's likely your home and contents insurance be voided.

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

I am unclear why people are shocked that Ebay would alert buyers to  potential recall on a product they had purchased thru the Ebay system.

Ebay is a responsible corporate citizen, and they do actually block you from listing recalled items,  and if they have sufficient details in the Database about sales where a recall has being done, it is a simple DB query and the messages can easily be sent out to impacted buyers.

And I know you will all say that Ebay is not the seller,  true,  but they are a responsible platform, who will help out where possible.

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

I’m shocked because

• it’s unprecedented in my experience, and

• there is no such thing as a recall of an unbranded item sold by a Chinese seller or by an Australian seller on-selling or dropshipping electrical goods that haven’t been certified to Australian standards, unless the Australian seller of such an item wants to put itself under scrutiny for importing and selling such items (significant fines, possible imprisonment). No acknowledged manufacturer as there’s no branding, and it was churned out in China anyway so there won’t be any recall from the manufacturer. The only recall possible is by government order, and that means something serious has happened.

The item in question is still being sold on eBay by both Australian sellers and Chinese sellers. Why hasn’t eBay taken down those easily identified listings?

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

I'm shocked because

I can not locate anything remotely similar, recalled in Australia or on EU Alerts, could not be bothered trudging through US.

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I’m shocked because

• it’s unprecedented in my experience, and

This always makes me laugh,  because it hasnt happened to you it must not happen at all.

It appears in OPS messages so it's not a scam, and it was sent by Ebay.   So its real

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

Unprecedented in my experience doesn’t equate to “hasn’t happened to me”, but rather “I’ve not come across such an instance on eBay, either in person or to anyone else, anecdotally or otherwise.”

This is certainly an interesting scenario.

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

So if ebay knows the buyer, then they would also know the seller & let them know and you'd think if rover gunn contacted ebay help, ebay should assist with a recalled item then.

I think it is important for rover to contact help, if only to find out if the notice is genuine because it seems strange to me that ebay would send out a recall notice for an item with no brand name, or not that I can see in the title anyway.

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

So if ebay knows the buyer, then they would also know the seller & let them know and you'd think if rover gunn contacted ebay help, ebay should assist with a recalled item then.

I think it is important for rover to contact help, if only to find out if the notice is genuine because it seems strange to me that ebay would send out a recall notice for an item with no brand name, or not that I can see in the title anyway.

Re Ebay assisting, they are only a listing platform and not the seller,  they are being a good corporate citizen, and alerting the buyer,  for all we know they may also have alerted the seller.  The seller has the responsibility to resolve any recalls not Ebay.

Re your question is it a genuine notice,  if you had bothered to read through the whole thread, OP says there was also a copy in their Ebay messages.  So not a scam email

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

Yes, the OP did eventually say it was in their eBay messages

But only after accusing other members of 'targeting' and going on the attack'  due to being asked if they were certain it was really from eBay and members explaining why there were concerns over such an 'unusual' message

And then they compared buying something from Coles to their buying an unbranded knock off from a seller in China 

And the 'Australia law' quote that does not apply to sellers in China

Plus the recall cannot seem to be be found anywhere on the world wide webs thus far

I would not suggest any others who may face a similar experience just going ahead and doing whatever based on the OP saying there was a message in their eBay messages

Still many good reasons to advise to proceed with caution, I would think 

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply