Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Re: Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I've been trying to get some info on Elsie Lumb who I was told married James Rostron, and had four sons.

Her boys were named, Samuel. James. Frank and Stanley Rostron (Stanley was born in 1923) he was the youngest.

Its as though they never existed. Soooo frustrating at times.

I haven't joined any search groups,as I work long hours and only get one day off a week, to do house work and shop.

What state?

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1851 of 4,080
Latest reply

They got married in Lancashire, England in 1911. I will search for some more info later 🙂

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1852 of 4,080
Latest reply

ROSTRON, James England Yorkshire, North Bierley 1912

ROSTRON, Frank England Lancashire, Prestwich 1915

ROSTRON, Samuel England Lancashire, Prestwich 1918

ROSTRON, Stanley England Lancashire, Prestwich 1923

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1853 of 4,080
Latest reply

Kaya....you might need to provide some more information if you want us to search back.

I thought the names were unusual and it would be easy.......but these names are quite common in the Lancashire area.

If you don;t wish to put it here you can message either Punch or myself.

Message 1854 of 4,080
Latest reply

Kaya....you might need to provide some more information if you want us to search back.

I thought the names were unusual and it would be easy.......but these names are quite common in the Lancashire area.

If you don;t wish to put it here you can message either Punch or myself.

Flashie those births are the only results for Rostron with mothers maiden name Lumb, so it has to be them. Same with the marriage. Cant find when they came to Australia though. May have to wait until kaya comes back. Maybe they didnt all come over.

They got married just after the 1911 census, so it wont be as easy to trace back further, but I'm sure I"ll be able to. Will have a little play later on.

If you come back kaya, can you let me know what kind of work they did. I suspect Elsie was a school teacher.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1855 of 4,080
Latest reply

Punch.......I meant if Kaya wanted us to go back further.....as in Elsie and James parents we would need to know more.

The both would have been alive for the 1901 census.........possibly the 1891 one too.

Message 1856 of 4,080
Latest reply

Punch.......I meant if Kaya wanted us to go back further.....as in Elsie and James parents we would need to know more.

The both would have been alive for the 1901 census.........possibly the 1891 one too.

The elsie I found (school teacher) was about the right marrying age, living in the right area. I havent checked for James yet, there was more of them to go through. Having his occupation would help.

I could also check all the parents names, usually at least one child is named after their grandparent.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1857 of 4,080
Latest reply

Do we know where Elsie and James were born....I am presumign they were born about 1890.

Message 1858 of 4,080
Latest reply

Do we know where Elsie and James were born....I am presumign they were born about 1890.

I'll just go and check elsie again and have another look at passengers leaving the UK.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1859 of 4,080
Latest reply

The Elsie I found was born in 1892 in Lancashire. She is the only marrying age Elsie Lumb living in Lancashire for the 1911 census. her parents are William Thomas and Alice Ann, brother John Thomas.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1860 of 4,080
Latest reply