Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know that the cost of living has risen over the years, but sharply in the latter half of 2022, so I thought we could post helpful tips for easing these costs.

I don’t want this thread to become a blame game about who caused what to increase the cost of living, just hints to help those who may be struggling.

Post your suggestions here, or post your experiences if trying the suggestions.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Re: Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know a lot of people are allergic to peanuts.

My granddaughters have had to have allergy tests and the older one is highly allergic to cashews but only slightly allergic to some other type of nut (forget which, I must check. Mainly I just avoid giving her anything at all with nuts).

I was surprised to see one of the chocolate advent calendar thingies available in K mart actually had a hazelnut filling. These days with so many allergies, I would have thought they would go for a more neutral filling. My daughter bought two and the 'boy's' one didn't have that filling but the 'girl's' one did.

Anyway, I see I am off topic. Often happens to me! I would be interested in your butter recipes if you have them in a doc format at all and it is easy for you to send.

In the interests of getting back on track, one other hint I have found works for me is when I read a recipe and there is something in there that I don't have and which I would only use a little bit of (with the rest going to waste, maybe), I google to see what can be substituted or what I can make instead.

Last time was for a tiramasu dip that called for 2 tablespoons of Kahlua.

No way I was buying kahlua for it so I found an easy substitute online with ingredients I already had, with coffee and cocoa if I recall.

Same with herbs and cheeses. There's usually a substitute or you can make your own mixes.

Message 21 of 91
Latest reply

Home appliances that run all the time (fridge, freezer) create an unavoidable cost, so it makes sense to have those appliances in particular the most energy-efficient model possible. Ditto for appliances or electrical items that run quite often (and especially if they’re likely to be used during peak energy times), such as air conditioner, heater, TV, computers, oven, stove.

If you have any of these needing to be replaced soon, try creating an Excel spreadsheet where you work out the total cost (including running costs) over the next 5 years at least, and compare that price between different models.

(See https://www.energy.gov.au/households/energy-rating)

It may well be that the bargain-priced model of something doesn’t work out to be such a good buy in the longer term. Those running costs can really add up.

Message 22 of 91
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Mobile phone plans

Want a mobile plan that is greatly discounted, or free?  Read on.

Last week I saw a ‘story’ on the google search page about a lady sharing a savings tip for mobile phone plans.

I don’t normally read the stories on the google search page, but I did read this one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/lifehacks/article-11463387/How-save-money-food-Mums-little-known-...

In short, if you are a WW shopper who uses WW as your mobile phone provider you can get 10% off one shop per month (up to $50 saving).  You can also get discounted WW gift cards.  Pay for your shopping using a discounted gift card and you save even more than 10%.

I waited until just a few days before my Telstra payments were due for the next month of mobile before activating the WW Mobile SIMs on our mobiles.

It was a pretty easy activation.  We were able to keep our mobile numbers.

The whole switch took about 20mins (including number transfer).

Message 23 of 91
Latest reply

The Woolies SIM cards are PAYG, so, not for me.

As for other Woolies discounts - I saved up for months on the Rewards Programme and also had a voucher and a gift card - all saved for the big Christmas shop.

At checkout (online shopping) I used the points from the Rewards Programme...all good

Then I used the voucher for 20% off...all good.

Then I put in the number for the gift card, and the site went into melt down.

I had the COD -circle of death - happening.      Refreshing didn't help. I just don't think it liked 3 lots of discounts.

It just spat the dummy at the gift card every time, so I gave up.

Computer says NO

I'll just have to use the gift card this week for NYE booze.

(And I don't think the gift card is the problem, but the Woolies site itself.)

Message 24 of 91
Latest reply

Late evening shopping seems when often half price cooked food items are offered , but have to be at the right place at the right time 

Message 25 of 91
Latest reply

What - a cooked - chook.??

Message 26 of 91
Latest reply

k1ooo, re the 7 Eleven fuel app. For people that don't know, it scans your closest 5 servos. The 5th servo could be hundreds of miles away depending on where you are. The lock in is valid for 7 days and can be used anywhere in the country, but only once. My best saving was 90c/litre. I decided to check the prices at my destination location and they were horrendously higher. So, I filled up here, then locked in the cheap price, knowing I'd need to fill up to come home. The servo attendant was very impressed by the saving! On Thursday, I saved 19c/L. I was happy with that! Better than 4c at Woolies.

Countess, while we don't use the Woolies insurance, we changed over to Woolies Mobile for the phones a couple of years ago. It also means we get 10% off each month. Sometimes it can be quite a significant saving and it definitely adds up over the year.

k1ooo, re your mention of the Woolies mobile. We both switched over a couple of years ago. It runs on the Telstra network, so mostly reliable. Only had one time it go down, and that was for about half an hour. We have prepaid phones. We get 16GB of data and unlimited phone calls for $20 a month. Even without the home NBN, there is no way we'd get through 16GB in a month! Any unused data carries over to next month.

Spingy's mention of the herbs. Yes, it's awesome to have fresh chemical free herbs. BUT, NEVER put them in your garden. Herbs are essentially weeds, and grow that way. My, what once were beautiful, raised garden beds have been completely over run with herbs. Rosemary and Sage are generally OK, but most will take over everything, so leave them in pots. Especially Marjoram, Thyme and Oregano. As for the coriander Springy, it needs to be planted in winter. By around mid December, it starts to go to seed. Collect those seeds in Jan/Feb for next year's crop! I live in a cold climate that gets heavy frosts and occasional snow. I plant my coriander seeds in July. Oh, and case you didn't know, celery can be frozen! I have my step daughter to thank for telling me that.

From me: Turn your blasted lights off! I have been to so many homes where every single light is on, when it's not necessary. Once dinner is over, we have the light in the rangehood on in the kitchen, and a low voltage smart light lamp in the loungeroom. I don't get the need for lights blazing right throughout the house well into the night.

For cars, refill up when the tank gets to half. A car will use more fuel per KM once it's under half. No idea why, but they do.

If something is on sale, buy extra. You'll use it. If it's perishables, freeze them. Yes, you can freeze celery!

As far as energy bills go, we now pay an amount fortnightly to avoid bill shock. At the moment we are $1200 in front with the gas, and $900 in front with the power. Apparently we are 2 years in front with the land rates! I have the payments set up as a Bpay in my bank, so I'm not physically having to remember to pay them, it happens automatically every fortnight. It's only a small amount each fortnight, but gee it's taken the pressure off. Yes, I can get the excess money back from the utilities if I want it, but I'd rather stay in credit. I have reduced the fortnightly payments so more stays in my bank, while staying in credit. I no longer dread utility bills!

Message 27 of 91
Latest reply

That’s a very good tip about Bpay for regular expenses (including being in credit), s&d. It will also mean no % surcharge by using credit or debit card.

Worthwhile things to do or about which to plan ahead:

reduce heat loss / heat gain during cold weather and hot weather respectively

This is all about making your house as energy-neutral as possible. If your house is well-sealed - yay! Unfortunately most Australian houses leak more badly than a political office when it comes to heat. There are things we can do such as the type of curtains used, putty-filling those little areas open to the outside, using properly sized door snakes anywhere where draught may enter or warmth escape…

Make full-size screens as a project if you have large rooms and can heat just a section of the house.

Is it worth trying the neighbour thing (again) and perhaps having a couple of days a week where cooking is shared to lower costs? (May not be practical, I realise…)

Is it worth considering whether you can rent out a room or two to bring in extra money (with the bonus of reducing pressure on the rental market)? Again, I realise this may be impractical for many.

Unfortunately I can’t think of any way to reduce most of the consistent and very substantial bills that will keep coming in - rates, water, fuel.

Message 28 of 91
Latest reply

I'm on Aldi mobile and when I joined a few years ago (when virginmobile stopped) I was able to port my number across. Top up 15 bucks once a year.

Message 30 of 91
Latest reply