Fifty years since pounds and pence

esayaf
Community Member
I was born in '67 so I have no memory of the old money.
Open day at the mint today. Special gold plated round 50 cent for those that visit.
I wish I was within driving distance to Canberra
Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

realy a year ago Woman Surprisedi wonder why its taking so long maybe it being on the news means its actualy going to happen ???

Message 21 of 49
Latest reply

Those old notes hanging on the wall would be worth a fair bit lol

Message 22 of 49
Latest reply

Like kopes has said that the new $5 note is on its way in september,perhaps by then the 5 cent will be on its way out?

Message 23 of 49
Latest reply

Purchases will be rounded off to the nearest $ when the 5 cent disappears,most retail outlets have already done this for example what used to cost $6.99 is now $7.

So items will eventually either be $6.90 or $7 as an example.

Message 24 of 49
Latest reply

@esayaf wrote:
I was born in '67 so I have no memory of the old money.
Open day at the mint today. Special gold plated round 50 cent for those that visit.
I wish I was within driving distance to Canberra

I remember when decimal currency came in.  Like most people of my age, I can still sing the song that got saturation airplay on TV.

The school tuckshop was very popular in the first week.  We'd go in with a 6d, buy a cream wafer biscuit (the cheapest thing sold) and get shiny new 2c and 1c coins as change.  I still have a 6in ruler somewhere - one of those lenticular ones in yellow and black, where depending on how you view it, would display the old currency one way and the equivalent in decimal values in another.  Odd to think it is now 50 years old and I still have it.

Maths (at least dealing with money) suddenly became a lot easier overnight.  Dollars and cents..pfft.  Try doing similar sums in pounds, shillings and pence, not to mention guineas and pence as small as halfpennies and farthings.  I don't miss those!

When hubby and I moved to Melbourne c1980, we were stunned to see a local butcher had his prices in decimal currency and in the old currency.  I don't know if it was because he was resistant to change (the sign about the shop said 'Scottish Butcher' LOL) or his customers were....or he didn't want to throw out his old imperial plastic labels.  I think the old prices finally disappeared a couple of years later.

Message 25 of 49
Latest reply

I can still sing the jiminy cricket song..Woman LOL

Message 26 of 49
Latest reply

Sometime this week, the population of Australia will become 24 million.  

It was 11.6million in 1966.

Message 27 of 49
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

Remember the butcher/greengrocer/grocer adding up a column of  purchases on butcher paper or brown paper bag in lead pencil ? 

They did give you a sort of calculater at the bank,(with the 1966 calendar on the other side).

I've still got this one, good.gif

Decimal calculator.jpg

Message 28 of 49
Latest reply