Right or wrong to yell at someone's screaming kid at a restaurant?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/owner-of-marcys-diner-in-portland-praised-for-yelling-at-screa...

THE owner of an American diner who yelled at a screaming child is being praised on social media for taking a stance against parents who ignore their children when dining out.

“Allowing your child to carry on and disrupt a restaurant without any consideration of others, is classless!!!!! I also doubt their child is traumatised. Kid is probably in shock from hearing another adult act like an adult in charge.”

“The owner is an absolute lunatic and screamed in the face of my almost two-year-old child because she was crying ... You have a problem with a child crying then you are not suitable to run a business,” she wrote.

“If it bothers you so much you should have spoken to me and not traumatised my child by screaming in her face. May karma bite you in the a**.”

Choose a side. Go

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Right or wrong to yell at someone's screaming kid at a restaurant?

I can't even imagine my 2 year old girl screaming and carrying on in a restaurant.   When my daughter was 2 years old she was very aware of what I was telling her as well as I was aware of what she was saying to me.

A 2 year old has words.  Screaming and carrying on isn't part of the scheme.  Use your words.  Want your pancakes?  Silly, me for forgetting to cut them up for you.  Problem solved in 30 seconds, not 40 minutes.

Communication.  A 2 year old can talk and screaming and carrying on in a restaurant is not acceptable.  Parents need counseling.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

The mother said crying. Darla said screaming for 40 mins. Darla said she told the child "this needs to stop" Mother says Darla screamed in child's face. Darla now says she is not sorry she told the child to "shut up"
So....... my money is on mum being the one to tell the truth.
Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

Children should be banned. Like asbestos. Or at least banned in public places like that other noxious annoyance, smoking. Maybe 'children' and 'no children' sections in public places.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

Maybe the kid was acting up. But I still think that B-word of an owner had no business screaming at the kid--which is exactly what she's admitted to doing in interviews. Not yelling at the parents--yelling at the kid. 

She's also called the kid on her facebook page a "beast" and a "monster",

I've got the feeling she's a hot-tempered shrew and doesn't particularly like kids. She's also stated that the kid only went quiet for a while, then ten minutes later, she started crying again. So yelling at the kid may have made her feel all powerful but it didn't solve the problem, did it?

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

Not all 2 yr olds can talk.  Not all 2yr olds are obedient little angles either Man Wink

I think that folk forget what it was like to have a child in public.

My first born was a delightful beautiful little boy..... right up until his sister was born, then he turned into the devils spawn! LOL

Nothing has changed in 30yrs....   folk will either agree with or rudely disagree with, your parenting skills!

I remember what it was like to be a young mum, with a toddler and baby in tow, travelling the public transport (bus) and trying to cope with the trials of *going to the mall* (or grocery shopping, or clothes shopping, or the public restrooms!)

Gawd.....   some people just grow up to be crusty, cranky old folk!
If you want to take your business elsewhere, probably best to do it then. No-one wants to put up with cranky old people in shops!
Grizzling and griping about everything that annoys YOU... sheesh....

I was once at McDonalds in Lithgow (this happened quite a few yrs ago now). As i was entering the door, an angry woman was heading to leave the same door. She screamed at the top of her lungs EFFING HELL, SHUT THAT KID UP!!!!  and she left.
I could not hear any child making any unruly noise over and beyond what you would expect at a *family restaurant*.

Some children are just more vocal than others.
Some children are just more spirited than others.
Some children are quiet tiny little frail shy things.

And thats just my 3 kids!  Man Tongue

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

@artfulcreations4all wrote:

Maybe the kid was acting up. But I still think that B-word of an owner had no business screaming at the kid--which is exactly what she's admitted to doing in interviews. Not yelling at the parents--yelling at the kid. 

She's also called the kid on her facebook page a "beast" and a "monster",

I've got the feeling she's a hot-tempered shrew and doesn't particularly like kids. She's also stated that the kid only went quiet for a while, then ten minutes later, she started crying again. So yelling at the kid may have made her feel all powerful but it didn't solve the problem, did it?

Woman Surprised Looks like Marcy might be a big  fibber............. she deleted the post apparently but someone screen shot it....... she swears too!

11750736_413909622136168_1528875455006117039_n.jpg

11750736_413909622136168_1528875455006117039_n.jpg

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

Social media gone mad.

not really.  

the mother took it to facebook;

with millions of fb users - you'd 

expect replies  

(i've read a few of them on marcy's diner fb)

why did it end up on the news?

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

i think most of the support for the diner

comes out of frustration;  that is - being

in similar situations -

subjected to screaming kids in restaurants.

most of the time the owners won't say anything

and parents don't seem to care.

here is one that took control.

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

that's nothing compared to another

one i saw.  its still on their fb page atm.

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

If you want to take your business elsewhere, probably best to do it then.

lol if you want to have your meal

accompanied by screaming kids -

take a  picnic basket to a playground.

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply