does anyone know about sewing machines?

particularly pfaff like this http://www.sewingmachinewarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=358&pid=22

Is it overkill for an L plater?

How large are the alphabet letters?

Thanks, for any info.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: does anyone know about sewing machines?

The reason I asked is because I've been offered the pfaff one for half price and it seemed like good value.  

The one I've been using is mum's old one and it recently started to behave very badly and now attacks as soon as it's plugged in.

Thanks for your answers.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

At half price if you want a modern computerised machine and can afford it, go for it. With some if the money you've saved though, get mums machine looked at because it might be a great standby for things you don't want to risk ruining your new machine on.
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@*elizabeths-mum* wrote:
At half price if you want a modern computerised machine and can afford it, go for it. With some if the money you've saved though, get mums machine looked at because it might be a great standby for things you don't want to risk ruining your new machine on.

Yeah, she's a bit attached to it and won't let it go in the rubbish.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I bought something like that about 30 years ago; it was the top dollars and I ended up using my friend's Elnina(?), which was tine little thing that went forward, backwards (I think) and did simple zig zag.  LOL   Then I sold my Pfaff, losing about 1/2 what I paid.  Unless you really want to do some of the tricky stuff, do not waste your money. 

Few years back I bought Elna for about $500, it was the worst piece of junk; it leaked oil everywhere, and had all sorts of problems; the shop replaced it but the second one was the same.  friend who knows a lot about sewing (as a dressmaker all her life) told me to get Janome; I paid less than $200 and am very happy with it.  It still has more functions than I need. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

@karliandjacko wrote:

The reason I asked is because I've been offered the pfaff one for half price and it seemed like good value.  

The one I've been using is mum's old one and it recently started to behave very badly and now attacks as soon as it's plugged in.

Thanks for your answers.

BUY IT!!!  you won't be sorry if it is half that $1000 price tag! and don't forget to come back and show us what you make ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks everyone.  I'll let you know when I decide. If I leave it too long it will be gone and I won't have to decide  ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

@karliandjacko wrote:

Thanks for your answers.

BUY IT!!!  you won't be sorry if it is half that $1000 price tag! and don't forget to come back and show us what you make ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, I decided to buy it and it's very nice.  There's so much space in the area that is usually quite crowded and a very good light on the sewing area.  Best of all it sews over the thick seams in jeans without missing stitches.  I kept turning the hem until it got too think and that was on the 5th turn over.   ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

I am sure it will do lots of things you never expected! Lovely machine.

How big does the lettering go to?

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

I am sure it will do lots of things you never expected! Lovely machine.

How big does the lettering go to?

It's not large, maybe a bit over a cm high.  I'm going to see if I can make them smaller by adjusting the stitch size tomorrow if I remember.  Or else I'll be making huge labels for the kids school clothes.  ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Huge might be good, lol. My old Janome 8000 could do 4 sizes I think but there may be a smaller script for that labelling? as in text, not monogramming.

I have been sewing all day, making lap pillows. Can't believe how much I got done!

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply