first the greyhounds now the horses

Mass slaughter and abuse of racehorses undermines industry's commitment to animal welfare

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welf...

really makes me wonder about the mentality of those running the 'industry' when they all saw the fallout from the exposure of the greyhound 'industry' and yet did nothing to get their own garden in order!

i couldnt watch after a few minutes of seeing live horses being slaughtered, how have we allowed this?

how have we believed they were finding loving homes for all the 'wastage' from this 'industry' when we knew how many horses were being born every year to feed this 'industry' with new blood?

not after we were exposed to what was happening in the greyhound industry.

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: first the greyhounds now the horses

Thank you for sharing that Lyndal.

Your daughter was indeed fortunate to work with Gai...met her at the Wellinton Boot...she signed my Gai Waterhouse Racing Stables cap...a great trainer & a wonderful person.

We are only bush battlers (lucky enough to have had a mare who won four races in town) & our horses are treated better than ourselves.

The Abbatoir work was a case of necessity.

Certainly no mistreatment of livestock...foreman,meat inspectors &vets saw to that.

Funnily enough one of my sons married the daughter of one of the meat inspectors...nice fellow...both he & I had the misfortune to be laid low with Q Fever at the same time...great for weight loss...I dropped 14 kilos in two weeks.

That said I deplore any mistreatment of livestock...however to condem the entire racing industry over this report is painting with a very broad brush.

Message 61 of 128
Latest reply

LOL - I deserved that one. 

Message 62 of 128
Latest reply

How racehorse Absolutely Win once bought for $180,000 ended up at Queensland's Meramist Abattoir

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-19/how-racehorse-absolutely-win-ended-up-at-the-abattoir/1161578...

remember, these horses for the most part are not sick, old or injured

just unwanted

they dont deserve to die in a horrible way

just because they are surplus to requirement

we saw terrible things the greyhound industry were doing out of sight

have they cleaned up their garden?

i hope so but i doubt it as money is the over riding item here

the industry knows there is a problem

their answer is to dispose of the problem as cheaply as possible

that goes for all the industrys that use animals for making money

i would think the rodeo industry has some goings on we would also find sickening

Message 63 of 128
Latest reply

I googled this abattoir and I found this old article from 2013

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/but-meat-scandal-may-rein-in-exports/news-story/3c577...

it says that the abbotoir is Belgian owned and that the horse meat is exported for human consumption.. I also noted that on their website, there is absolutely nothing about horses or horsemeat.

the footage was sickening and disturbing...  why are they killing 3 yo colts?  

Message 64 of 128
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

General reply to all...

Have any posters been involved in the thoroughbred or standarbred industry?

No involvment with the horse racing industry at all. 

Have any posters been employed in an abbatoir?

No never employed in an abbatoir. I have toured one of Australias largest abbaoirs and seen the full process first hand. I  have to admit even for a seasoned farmer it was confronting. Have two cousins who have many years experience working in an abbatoir, one currently as a foreman.

I qualify on both counts...50 years with horses & five years in the knocking box weilding a captive bolt pistol.

I have had to destroy many hundreds of farm animals over the years and still do the chore regularly. ( including earlier this week ) As the only larger scale farmer with experience in the job and a property set amongst smaller hobby farms in a near city location, I am sometimes asked to put down stock for neighbours as well as my own. 

Happy to answer any questions.

Imo the issue here is a rogue abbatoir & not the assumption that these practices are  widespread....they are not.

It seems to be glaringly obvious that many of the people responding to this thread have not actually watched the ABC programme in full and are relying on 30 second grabs from other news sources as they have not grasped what the premise of the programme was actually about.

The programme used footage from several hidden cameras set up in a pet food processing abbatoir over an extended period of time and showing the final moments of the horses life in very graphic detail. Over that entire period the cameras where in place and many thousands of animals processed there was only a couple of instances captured that could be claimed as cruelty ie, the hitting and kicking of animals. Two or three instances is two or three too many, but the programme did not claim mistreatment was an indemic or regular occurance at the abbatoir... 

The cruelty claim relates to the fact that ex race horses are sent to the facility to be turned into dog food in breach of racing industry policy. It was the programme that made a point of the dog food thing, not me as they showed footage of dog owners including some from the greyhound racing industry picking up product from a shop front at the facility. What they didnt directly tell viewers though was that the vast bulk of the product, ( based on production figures quoted in the show ) ends up in the supermarket dog food isle. That is what the abbatoirs function was.... to produce pet food.

The show was not a general critique of the horse racing industry and general practices of training and racing, it was a critique of ex race horses ending up at a pet food facility in breach of industry guidelines.. That being the basis of the cruelty claim. ( rather than animals actually being habitually beaten, kicked etc. )  Its unfortunate that some of the anger people feel regards the horse racing industry in general has been directed at me for simply explaining what the programme showed, uncomfortable as the truth may have been for some.

Message 65 of 128
Latest reply

I watched the whole program and found it quite disgusting, even one act of cruelty towards any animal is one act too many.  As a meat eater I have no problem re cattle, sheep etc being slaughtered for food. I do have a problem if it is NOT done humanely and follows  state and RSPCA guidelines

I get the whole pet food industry "thing" but under the act it excludes race horses for being slaughtered for this purpose

As for dog owners having their animals killed 'cause they are feeding them horse meat.   What a load of garbage!  I have owned GSD's most of adult life and have NEVER bought a can of dog food in my life.  My dogs are fed dry food and given that ALL the ingredients must be listed on the bag, I have never once seen horse meat mentioned on the list.  I am also very fussy re the type of wet food I use for my dogs and have never once fed them horse meat.

Yes there are times when farm animals need to be slaughtered but ethical farmers do this in a VERY humane way, that causes no further suffering to the animal. They are not kicked, beaten and general abused before they are killed. 

To those who like support horse/dog racing, good luck to ya, I dont and I never will

Message 66 of 128
Latest reply

gai waterhouse is a MAGGOT

Message 67 of 128
Latest reply

@bimberiretrosystems wrote:

gai waterhouse is a MAGGOT

Why?

Message 68 of 128
Latest reply

because a worm like her is well aware of what has been happening

Message 69 of 128
Latest reply

I get it with the MAGGOT'S and GRUBSLUG'S, but worms are kinda nice.

Message 70 of 128
Latest reply