ATT SELLERS POSTING TO OR WITHIN AUSTRALIA

jeamwe
Community Member
Hi, just a genuine plea to those who sell to or within Australia, please please stop using Australia Post as your delivery choice, they have become unreliable, incompetent and inefficient. Apart from charging high prices they loop deliveries in circles before they get to their destinations. They have been very inconsistent with scanning items lately, so you have no idea where your item is. They are extremely slow. And it just keeps getting worse but dont take my word on it, check this out https://www.productreview.com.au/p/australia-post.html

Please as least take this under consideration.

Im sick of receiving items in an unreliable and stressful manner.
Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: ATT SELLERS POSTING TO OR WITHIN AUSTRALIA

I think AP is at their worst when it comes to their major sorting centres (Sunshine West, Chullora etc).  If they could clean up their act re those black holes of disaster, we'd all see a marked improvement in AP.

Couriers are also a double edged sword.  I know of at least two (local often used as sub contractors for my area) that if you miss the delivery, they don't redeliver and their opening hours to collect your parcels are absymal...a lot worse than the post office.

Sellers can offer whatever they like but with many listings you don't get the whole picture.  That's my pet hate.  They might say AP standard delivery when they actually mean Registered Post, or they use a courier than sub contracts the delivery and it ends up takng twice as long.  As a buyer I hate having to guess from a listing what the seller is actually going to do re the delivery of my purchase.  Would it cost some of you to actually spell it out?

My regular postie is very good and so is the AP (contractor) parcel delivery guy.  Sunshine West sorting centre however....sigh.

So my UK parcel is still missing and it might be AP's fault....but it could just as easily be Royal Mail or it's been stolen at some point between the UK and Oz.  All I know is, if it eventually turns up I know my local AP guys will deliver it.

Message 41 of 44
Latest reply

@jeamwe wrote:
Ive never posted overseas so i didnt know international sellers didnt have a choice. But thanks, learn something every day. That also sucks though

You seem to have misunderstood my post.  

The title of this thread is "sellers posting TO or within Australia".  If they are posting TO Australia it means they are overseas.

If they are overseas they cannot post items by Australia Post....they have to use the postal service (or a courier service) that is available in their own country.  That means in the USA the sellers would use USPS or the UK sellers would use Royal Mail.

Only once these items arrive in Australia would Australia Post get these items to deliver.

I doubt that many overseas sellers would even consider using international couriers on a regular basis....it would be cost prohibitive.

Message 42 of 44
Latest reply

When I was doing the sums though, I did make up a speadsheet lookup by postcode to work out which service to choose.

This sheet was AP vs CP but should work for any or multiple options (all you really need is a courier companies cost by postcode list).

I doubt that you would ever get a courier company cost by postcode list except for the few smaller companies which do pickup/deliver one off parcels.

All the big companies quote by volume and have account customers only.   For example, Cusomer A may have a flat rate of $10 per parcel on a contract of 100 items a week but Customer B may have a flat rate of $5 per parcel for 300 items a week.   When you get up to thousands of items a week the rate could be as low as $2 or $3.

That is how companies like Sendle can send parcels at a competitive rate....they may have a contract with a large company for XXX number of items at $8 per item.  They then turn round and accept a one off item from an ebay seller for example and charge them $16 to deliver it.
Message 43 of 44
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

When I was doing the sums though, I did make up a speadsheet lookup by postcode to work out which service to choose.

This sheet was AP vs CP but should work for any or multiple options (all you really need is a courier companies cost by postcode list).

I doubt that you would ever get a courier company cost by postcode list except for the few smaller companies which do pickup/deliver one off parcels.

All the big companies quote by volume and have account customers only.   For example, Cusomer A may have a flat rate of $10 per parcel on a contract of 100 items a week but Customer B may have a flat rate of $5 per parcel for 300 items a week.   When you get up to thousands of items a week the rate could be as low as $2 or $3.

That is how companies like Sendle can send parcels at a competitive rate....they may have a contract with a large company for XXX number of items at $8 per item.  They then turn round and accept a one off item from an ebay seller for example and charge them $16 to deliver it.

Nearly all Couriers have a list of costs by area as the rates vary dramatically by distance and volume.

CP have a base rate plus additional tickets to areas that are less profiatble for them

If you're being stuck with a flat rate Aus wide then that particular company is doing an AP and using overpriced metro deliveries to subsidise remote locations.

Either that, or they'll have a long list of areas they will not deliver to at all (which is a defacto list in itself)

The main reason I was looking at couriers in the first place was to try and get a shipping price advantage and as far as that went, when I compare CP rates to AP, local is really cheap, other metro was a better deal than using AP, while deliveries to regional or remote were much dearer.

Hence the rate differential lookup table - I input a postcode and it lets me know which service is cheaper to that location.

Ultimately though, it was just too difficult to implement under ebay's system and would likely have adversely affected my AP discount structure so the whole idea just found its way to the too hard basket.

Message 44 of 44
Latest reply