Bad seller not fair.

emalith
Community Member

Hello please advise me where to go on this. I have purchased 4 coins from a seller on Saturday.  I got them reasonably priced not cheap not expensive, they were bought as silver scrap as there not in very good condition.  He had 4 all seperate auctions and they went for just under $2 each bare in mind there worth max $4 ea for there silver content.  He had each one at $4 postage each so I just assumed he would combine like all small item sellers genrally offer. Well I had a feeling something was wrong straight away as I had to send several emails to get a response , well I got one today after again sending 2 more emails. 

Now this is simply not right 4 coins the size of 10 cent pieces that cost less $7 and he wants to charge me $16 postage $4 ea. really is this allowed that is just not right.  I mean all up there only worth$16 . Consider most other sellers charge between $0.60 - $1.50 for the same service.  Now I will pay just to leave 4 red dots as that is not on and should be stamped out. Sorry for venting but its just not fair. Thanks.

Message 1 of 88
Latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Bad seller not fair.

@lionsfourth wrote:
As taken aback as I am from dealing with this "scrapper troll" I have actually appreciated all feedback positive and negative. I can assure you that my listings were not intended as "fee avoidance" or "against the spirit of ebay" they were simply a result of sloppy listing from a novice ebay seller. I have taken the time this morning to finalise the updates of all of my listings based on this threads feedback. Prices and postage have been changed to reflect simple delivery with signature and prospective buyers are now instructed to message me before checkout if they want any extras e.g insurance at their own expense. Well done ebay community.

I hope you value the following, well-intended and constructive feedback...

@P&H for a single banknote should be based on stamp cost, envelope, any other packaging that may be used to protect it, registered post cost and insurance - which really should not be an optional extra on expensive items. Registered is $3.50, and insurance is $1.50 per $100 in excess of the first $100, even if we are being generous with packaging and handling costs, most people will still see $20 for a note or notes as a bit much, except for maybe the ones you've priced @ $800 (7 x $1.50 insurance = $10.50 in insurance, plus $3.50 reg., still leaving $6 for packaging and stamps)

I am glad to see your listings were updated to inform buyers of your choice not to combine postage, and perhaps not combining it is a strategy to deter people from multiple purchases for reasons of your own, or you intend to post all items individually, but the OP of this thread is not alone in their attitude towards sellers who will not combine P&H. This issue likely wouldn't have cropped up at all if not combining was common practice, but the OP expected it because it tends to be something of an anomaly when a seller won't combine without good reason (some sellers can not combine, due to items being stored and shipped from different locations, but if logistics aren't preventing you from combining postage, people will generally see it as postage piracy). 

Message 81 of 88
Latest reply

@lionsfourth wrote:
Not sure if this is a direct or hypothetical question? Would you post a 60 to 80 year old note that a collector wants in a 10 cent envelope and whack a 70 cent stamp on it? You also don't obviously run a business or see your time as important.

No it was a genuine question.     $20 seems a bit steep that's all.    On reflection, I see you would have to post it as a parcel - so with insurance for say $300

PostageSignature on DeliveryExtra Cover for loss or damageTotal#

$6.95
$2.95
$4.50

$14.40

Message 82 of 88
Latest reply

Yes these are first delicate items with any real value i have had to post so the last couple of comments have been useful 🙂
Message 83 of 88
Latest reply

@lionsfourth wrote:
Not sure if this is a direct or hypothetical question? Would you post a 60 to 80 year old note that a collector wants in a 10 cent envelope and whack a 70 cent stamp on it? You also don't obviously run a business or see your time as important.

No I wouldnt. But I would mail it in a 0.45 cent ( bulk price ) Australia post tough envelope, inside a 0.05 cent, A4 sheet protector, with a piece of free cardboard stiffener and $3.00 for Signiture on delivery. Insurance for a two or three hundred dollar item is only a few dollars so $10.00 should more than cover the cheaper bank notes you sell ( with an allowance for time ) . On the rare occasions some-one buys an $850.00 note, the $20 post fee may be justified, due to higher insurance costs. It may be worth noting ( using a bulk template ) in your listings that your postage cost includes Signiture on delivery and insurance costs. ( Thats assuming you offer these on all items ) This could avoid some of the "agro" and missed sales opportunities you will come up against in future, should you persist with the high postage charges.

Message 84 of 88
Latest reply

"Excess postage charges on items which are started at unrealistically cheap auction prices does not contribute to an open, transparent system and breaches ebay policy on excess postage and fee avoidance."

I agree with most of what you say, while it is probably fee avoidance, an issue for eBay, the system is open and transparent.  The Postage price is clearly stated, along with how the item will be posted ie regular and now the seller also states he doesn't combine post.  Perhaps eBay should introduce a tick box Do You Combine Postage Yes/No.  As stated before eBay should police excess postage charges, they don't because it obviously costs more to do that then they would collect, so use buyers instead.  If eBay Australia changed to either forced "Free Post" or Fees on Postage (which presents legal problems) my guess is they would lose all interest in what sellers charge for postage.  Probably even remove the stars for postage.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 85 of 88
Latest reply

@lionsfourth wrote:

PS:  no I am a buyer -  but if I was a seller who sold a note for $850 I would be so flabbergasted I would be happy to send it free postage and cover the postal costs and insurance myself.    Smiley Tongue

Message 86 of 88
Latest reply

The more expensive notes are already between 2 to several hundreds of dollars below valuation. Don't see why selling them would make me flabbergasted. Buying a can of coke at a music festival for $6, now that makes me flabbergasted. it is all relative.
Message 87 of 88
Latest reply

@lionsfourth wrote:
The more expensive notes are already between 2 to several hundreds of dollars below valuation. Don't see why selling them would make me flabbergasted. Buying a can of coke at a music festival for $6, now that makes me flabbergasted. it is all relative.

that's why I'm a buyer - not a seller of notes  - wow

Message 88 of 88
Latest reply