Buyer emailed me directly

Hi

I’ve recently had a buyer email me directly an hour after a purchase. They sent it straight to me personal email, not through eBay.

Has anyone had this happen before or have a suggestion as to how on earth they got my email address?

Both eBay and PayPal have said they don’t ever give out the address. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whether as buyer or seller, if you click on "View Paypal Transaction" for the relevant purchase/sale in your Purchase History or Sold listings respectively, it takes you to Paypal's specific "Transaction Details" page, and that page shows, inter alia, the other party's email address.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Did the buyer pay through PayPal, and is the email address in which you received their message the same email address that you use for PayPal?

If so, then the buyer would have probably got your email address from the PayPal invoice information.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Yeah they paid through PayPal, but PayPal don’t put sellers email on their payment notification emails.

They also emailed me from a different address then their PayPal one

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

I was just going to ask the same question

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Odd because all my emails confirming paypal payment have the seller's email address on them

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

The sellers email will appear on their PayPal notification email, but not on the buyers. 

Paypal confirmed to me that there is no way a buyer can get the sellers info and the only way they can contact is through eBay messages 

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Well, as a buyer (me) I have the seller's  (theirs) email address very clearly displayed on every paypal payment  receipt email I have

I am confirming to you this is the case with mine and will post a screen shot (obviously blotting out the main part of their email address)

Regardless of what Paypal say

yes. they SHOULD only contact people via ebay messages, that part is true 

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Some of my emails confirming payment even have the seller's email address in the actual 'subject line' of the email also

This on the Paypal receipt itself, near the bottom

(Gmail being the seller's email, NOT mine) As I said, my receipt has their full email address, I blotted out the address before the @gmail part to post here

153282842546841156.png

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks for that.  I have had a look at old purchase emails and I see that some have the address and some don’t.  I was only looking at my recent purchases and they don’t have any email address included. 

any suggestions as to how to change it so the email doesn’t appear?

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

I'm afraid I'm not sure on that one

I have'nt bought very much lately, but of my last two purchases

One from 2nd July does'nt have their email address

One from 29th June has their email adrress in both the subject heading and on the email receipt itself

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply