Buyer's child bid on item....

Hello all,

I have a situation where the buyer's child bid on an item and won the auction.The buyer has messaged that " you can raise a resolution if you wish as I do not wish for my daughter to have this "item" - pretty or not. I hope that we can resolve this like two adults and avoid any resolution action however I am prepared to stand my ground on this. " after I sent the invoice.

What are my options? On one hand, I sympathize with the buyer's situation where the child inappropriately bidded.On the other hand, I am irked by the fact that there is an irresponsible ebayer who has let the child access the ebay account and has made no apology for it.

I am also a newcomer to ebay and hence feedback would be important to me.Is this buyer able to leave negative feedback is things do not progress their way?What are my rights?

Thank you

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Buyer's child bid on item....

colkym
Community Member

Congratulations- you did make the right decision.  I do wonder if the $650 amount is all the "shopping" that the "child" did combined, IYKWIM?  If there are other sellers who do as you have done, that buyers ebaying will be severely curtailed or even stopped completely.  This is why sellers need to have the buyer blocks in place to stop these tossers bidding.

I particularly liked her "I am prepared to stand my ground"comment- what a laugh!  I hope you sent her a link to the non paying bidder info on site ๐Ÿ˜›

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

Great to hear that you got a good outcome!  Her attitude in her emails saids it all!  And I'm glad to see she didn't get away with it! Hopefully she will think twice next time. 

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

Hopefully her account will be NARUed and there won't be a next time. ๐Ÿ˜

Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

I had this problem earlier only I was the buyer I was showing my young cousin ebay I bid on some items and Got called in to work, when I got back he's bid on the items way higher than I could afford, I contacted the seller saying I needed to retract my bid he said contact ebay, there were 2 days left on the listings, I removed the bid, then emailed him apologising, he sent me about 5 abusive emails, I can understand why he's upset I would be as well, but he's saying he's going to get me removed of eBay, what should I do can he do this? Iv contacted ebay to let them know, any advice would be great
Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

Firstly - start a new thread rather than draggng up one that is more than 2 years old.

Secondly - this is the 'selling' board, not the more appropriate 'buying' one.

Thirdly - if you were able to retract your bid you didn't break any of eBay's rules and no sactions will be applied. Except that you will probably never be able to buy from that seller.

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

The buyer isn't going to pay so ignore her and open a strike. End of.
Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

I was pleased to hear of the positive outcome for the seller.

You know, there is one thing I have learnt from being on these boards and it is that if someone bids and then decides not to buy, I think it is better to just put in an unpaid items dispute than simply risk a cancellation. It seems to be the best solution on so many levels.

I did see someone post a while back about the email they sent with this, where it was very polite and said to the buyer not to worry, they didn't need to respond and the seller understood they did not wish to go ahead, but they were going  through the process with ebay to get their listing fees back, that is all.

I think i would always do this instead of a mutual cancellation because then the buyer can't leave feedback and they get a strike.

I really don't care if a 7 year old bid on an item or if a person just changed their mind, the fault is theirs. My sister just sold a bedroom suite, pick up only and got a breezy message next day-sorry, not going ahead, haven't got transport.

She sent back an email to say in future the person should not bid unless they intended to follow through as they were wasting everyone's time and now she (my sister) was up for selling fees. I said she was very brave, risking telling off a seller and she said she didn't care, tell it like it is. They deserved it.

I have told her no ifs, no buts, block the buyer and go with an Unpaid item dispute, these buyers need a wake up call and a consequence.

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

I've had three children accidentally but my things on eBay in less than a year.

Having dealt with the seller fees I accrue I just open a non payment case. Parents need to show their children that they lose money over this or something bad happens otherwise it'll just keep happening!

I now have no tolerance for it, there's a pop up that tells them they're committing to the purchase... They should be changing their payment settings if they know their kids are able to do it and save the sellers the fees!
Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

Great another thread dragged up from 4 years ago?

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

It was on it's way down the page.

You've successfully bumped it after 6 hours.

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply