Buyers repeadetly not paying for offers

I've been selling some products to get rid of them, and I've had offers enabled to hopefully get quicker sales. But about 3 times I've received a reasonable offer and accepted it, but around 1-2 days later the buyer contacts me and says something like "I bought it by mistake" or "I didn't know I have to pay when I make an offer". Most of these accounts are old ones that have bought and sold with positive feedback. Is it possible they've been hacked? Next time I'm turning offers off, but is there anything I can do if anything like this happens again? I'll post some of my messages with these buyers. 

Many Thanks

jess9251_0-1708211852598.pngjess9251_1-1708211899654.png

jess9251_2-1708211916589.png 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Thats life it happen.

Just cancel the prder,  they get a strike against their name.  Block them, and turn on block buyers with strikes.

Dont get upset move on, the world is a funny place, they may have made multiple offers and took a better one, or some other reason.

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

'I bought it by mistake' means they have changed their mind. It's hard to buy by 'mistake'.

If someone doesn't pay, don't go sending messages or re-invoicing them. From what I have read, that latter action simply extends their due date to pay.

If they don't pay, make an ebay claim for an unpaid item as soon as the system lets you.

I think when you have 'make an offer', you might sometimes get people who aren't dead keen on buying but they are tempted to 'maybe consider it' if they can get it cheaper.  As a buyer, I think make an offer is great, but then, if I make an offer it is because I really do want it. What helps though (from a buyer perspective) is if a seller has their limits pre set. That means if my offer is under what they want, I will get an immediate rejection & if it is acceptable, I also get an immediate answer, so I know where I am.

I can't see any harm in you continuing with "make an offer' if you have those things set up. If you do want to personally consider each offer before deciding, you need to be able to give a reasonably quick reply. Within 2-6 hours would be ideal.

As to whether the buyer accounts have been hacked, hard to say. Probably not. There are plenty of people who have been on ebay for years but have never read up on all the Terms & conditions.

Don't worry about it too much, just make a cancellation asap. Quite honestly, if someone has had an offerr accepted and hasn't paid within 2 days, then I think they are unlikely to and you're just wasting your time writing tto them.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

I think eBay gives buyers 4 days to pay so wait 4 days and then cancel with the reason "buyer did not pay". This way you will be refunded fees and item will automatically be relisted( I think? Maybe a seller can confirm). But more importantly the buyer will get a strike against them.

Make sure you have your buyer requirements set up so that anyone with more than 2 strikes cannot buy from you. This will weed out serial offenders.

You could of course cancel before the 4 days is up (using buyer requested) but the non payment reason will not be there and therefore buyer will not suffer any consequences and I'm not sure what happens with fees in that case.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

' Quite honestly, if someone has had an offerr accepted and hasn't paid within 2 days, then I think they are unlikely to and you're just wasting your time writing tto them.

Exactly,  its the same if they do a BIN,  send the original invoice (if they havent paid), but dont send anymore.  Ebay send reminders,  and you are just stretching out the 4 days and 1 second till you can open a not paid case if you keep sending invoices.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

@cam-2793 wrote:

I think eBay gives buyers 4 days to pay so wait 4 days and then cancel with the reason "buyer did not pay". This way you will be refunded fees and item will automatically be relisted( I think? Maybe a seller can confirm). But more importantly the buyer will get a strike against them.

Make sure you have your buyer requirements set up so that anyone with more than 2 strikes cannot buy from you. This will weed out serial offenders.

You could of course cancel before the 4 days is up (using buyer requested) but the non payment reason will not be there and therefore buyer will not suffer any consequences and I'm not sure what happens with fees in that case.

No the item isnt automatically relisted,  but doesnt take much effort

I am reasonably certain , if the seller cancels as ''buyer request'' the buyer can still leave negative feedback,  so you are running the risk, that they planned to pay on day 3 or 4,  and will give you a neg.  Safer to wait the 4 days

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

@jess951,

Sadly there are tyre-kickers out thereโ€ฆ but when a buyer doesnโ€™t pay, youโ€™ll help yourself most by taking a professional approach to it.

1. Definitely do not message the buyer saying that if they donโ€™t pay, youโ€™ll cancel. Of course if they donโ€™t want to up ahead, theyโ€™ll seize on that. Just let the 4-day period go by without any further reminder or communication from you; eBay already send a payment reminder. Once the 4 days has passed, the option to cancel with the reason โ€œBuyer didnโ€™t payโ€ appears. (Previous to the 4-day period passing, the cancellation options donโ€™t include that.) Select that option; the buyer will receive a well-deserved invisible NPB strike. (Non-paying bidder/buyer.)

2. Make sure your buyer requirements are properly set up. In particular:

โ€ƒ

Buyers with Unpaid Item strikes
โ˜‘ Block buyers who caused   โ‘ก  cancellations of unpaid purchases within   โ‘ซ   month(s)  

Buyers in locations to which I don't post
โ˜‘  Block buyers whose primary postage address is in a location I don't post to.  
This requirement can help you avoid buyers who agree to purchase your items without realising you don't post to their location.

โ˜‘ Apply above settings to active and future listings.
Existing bids will not be affected.

โ˜‘ Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me.
Buyer wonโ€™t see the โ€œContact Sellerโ€ button on your Q&A page.

3. If you do need to communicate with a buyer, itโ€™s none of their business (and of no interest to them) how many people have won items from you and failed to pay. Donโ€™t overshare, and donโ€™t think that threatening to cancel or explaining youโ€™ve been let down before will induce a buyer who doesnโ€™t want to pay to do the correct thing and pay you.

4. You might be best off listing as Buy Now with a firm price and immediate payment required. 

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Try doing a small counter offer instead of accepting their offer which can help weed out buyers that won't pay and keeps the item still listed. 

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

And - if they accept your ' small ' counter offer. ??

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Just an up - I'd keep it a little more professional than - hey dude - hey mate - mate. 

Not good to waste your time - so don't.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply