Has anyone else been completely shafted by ebays ridiculous policies?

eBay restricted my account due to sending someone my number to discuss freight options, not to discuss outside sales. After this was explained, eBay STILL REFUSED TO LIFT RESTRICTIONS ON MY ACCOUNT.

On top of this, I cannot pay for any items that I have committed to purchase in my cart and will likely incur unpaid item strikes on my account.

disgusting policies and customer service, especially when they make a killing on selling fees.

Very unhappy!

any other suggested platforms for selling goods besides this rip off site?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Has anyone else been completely shafted by ebays ridiculous policies?

I was also banned 7 days for giving someone my telephone number.  Obviously thought they were going to miss out on some kind of commission?  I was only trying to arrange for a local pickup - they just wont listen.  I believe that sellers have no rights whatsover they always take the side of the buyer, I explain to the girl on the phone - not her fault she just works there - but without us sellers there is no Ebay and guess what - no pay for you!  does it change anything - never!!

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

This I belive is THE most stupid change Ebay has just about ever made, after all isn't that what ebay "used" to be about ?

I have had potential clients disappear when I mention they HAVE to purchase the item first BEFORE they can have a look at it.

Ebay = MORONS

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I am trying to downsize my house and no-one will buy my furniture without looking at it first !!

Yes, yet another KICK IN THE GUTS from eBay. No-one is allowed to exchange contact info because eBay don't want any chance they might lose a few dollars in sale fees - when they charge like wounded bulls in any case. They make out it is to protect the buyer. If the buyer actually sees an item in person, then they are happier about buying and don't need protection.

I have been a seller since 2002 and I have seen things get progressively worse to the point where I wonder if it can get any worse than it is already. But STILL IT DOES.  Sale fees on postage was nearly the last straw for me. With what eBay, PayPal and Australia Post gouge from a sale - there is nothing left for me in any case. NOT WORTH THE BOTHER ANYMORE!

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@dazzle_me_do wrote:

I am trying to downsize my house and no-one will buy my furniture without looking at it first !!

Yes, yet another KICK IN THE GUTS from eBay. No-one is allowed to exchange contact info because eBay don't want any chance they might lose a few dollars in sale fees - when they charge like wounded bulls in any case. They make out it is to protect the buyer. If the buyer actually sees an item in person, then they are happier about buying and don't need protection.

I have been a seller since 2002 and I have seen things get progressively worse to the point where I wonder if it can get any worse than it is already. But STILL IT DOES.  Sale fees on postage was nearly the last straw for me. With what eBay, PayPal and Australia Post gouge from a sale - there is nothing left for me in any case. NOT WORTH THE BOTHER ANYMORE!

many would argue that buyer protection has nothing to do with it . . . . . . and it is solely concerned with ensuring that eBay do not miss out on fees due to off-eBay sales

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

all you need to do is then encourage the buyer to click "commit to buy" or purchase the item - and then they can come and look at it. if they don't want to buy it after attending, you can cancel the transaction and relist the item. if you're worried about losing any watchers you might have - turn the "out of stock" option on - so that when the quantity goes to "0" the listing is still active, but no one can purchase. then, if you have to cancel the transaction, change the quantity back to "1." 

ebay has certainly made it more difficult when it comes to in-person purchases and the exchange of contact information - but it's something everyone is ruled by, not just some.

if you're looking at selling furniture with local pickup, there are more friendly sites on the internet to do that. 

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

When it comes to larger furniture items, you're right, some buyers may want to have a look & you can't arrange that on ebay. But you can on other sites such as FB Buy swap sell etc

So you could list on the other sites, see how you go.

Ebay probably gets you better exposure though, so if you still want to list on it, I would suggest

-include measurements. That seems basic but a while back I was looking up desks & just about every second ad had no measurements. I wouldn't even be keen to come have a look (After seeing an ad on any site) unless I knew the approx measurements beforehand.

-lots of photos.

-clear, upfront descriptions with close up photos of any faults.

-details about if the item comes apart or if it is heavy, how many people may be needed to move it etc

If you do all that, you might get people who are happy to buy sight unseen. My daughter once bought some furniture that way on ebay & I've sold furniture on ebay for hundreds of dollars (with a lot of bidders, none of whom asked to view) so there are customers out there.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply