How I do protect myself against a chargeback? - Buyer claiming item faulty

Okay I need the big guns here to come out and help!

I thought I did absolutely everything I could to protect myself...sold an expensive piece of electronic equipment that copies VHS to DVD (allows people to convert their old VHS to digital format).

Sold for near $200, packaged it EXTRA WELL, did SIGNATURE and tracking, proof of shipment, AND I insured it against loss or damage. I tested it completely before sending, it worked PERFECTLY

Now 2 weeks later they write and say it has a faulty button or something, can't get it to work.

I am concerned they are scamming me, - as they may have used it to copy all their tapes and now don't need it anymore. They want to return it for refund (they are happy to pay return shipping and signature, as it was only $20 total for this).

Do I have any leg to stand on? Even if paypal asks them to provide proof of it not working, they could easily damage the machine and then get someone to verify it's not working.

Then send it back (or even send a ROCK weighing the same weight back to me - with proof of shipping - and wouldn't even have to send the real thing back?).

WHERE or HOW can I cover myself, as I did NOTHING wrong?

Help! What do I do?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How I do protect myself against a chargeback? - Buyer claiming item faulty

Forgot to say I sold it using a different account than this one.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry. No theres nothing you can do. paypal will find in the buyers favour if they return the item. Further for all you know they will post you back a rock. They will still find in fvour of the buyer! Thats Payal

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I mean thats PAYPAL

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

A funny coincidence.

An elderly person I arranged a combo unit (vhs/dvd) for said many functions don't work.

Well, had a look and they simply didn't know how to use it properly.

Turned out that everything works on it but they couldn't figure out needing to change between vhs and dvd as well as channels not being tuned in properly by installer.

image host
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I sent it with a manual and it's a younger person. Hmmm. I will try to talk them through it anyway. I still feel it's a scam waiting to happen though. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Keep all emails from the buyer in case you need to supply Paypal with them. If they open a dispute and return it and it isn't faulty phone Paypal to tell them and ask them to not give a refund.

TCT
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Asking Pay Pal 'not to give a refund' ????!  Won't happen from my experience, sorry.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Asking Pay Pal 'not to give a refund' ????!  Won't happen from my experience, sorry.

As a buyer or as a serial pest ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

elvie, If you are confident it doesn't have any faults, you could explain that if they want a refund to return it and if a fault is found you will gladly refund. However if no fault is found they will need to pay for the postage to get the item back.

image host
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply