I Don't Know Why I Bother

I had a buyer buy 7 items tonight. She sent a request for total. Normally I'd just send the invoice with the reduced postage cost, but when I added up the weights, they might go a bit over 500g when packed. I sent her a message thanking her for buying and I would send her the invoice tomorrow once I'd packaged everything up and got an accurate weight and postage cost. I also said I wouldn't be able to post Monday due to having to go to the city. 10 minutes later, I got a notification on my phone, PAID.

THEN, a few minutes later she bid on another 3 items which finish tomorrow night. So, instead of paying (probably) $8.20, she's paid nearly $58. That means I've paid over $5 in fees for the postage instead of about 80c. Yes, I can refund the difference, but she's going to get a bit snakey if I keep the $5 for the fees she's caused me to pay. Then if I do what I'm supposed to do and post tomorrow nights item separately, she'll probably get even more snakey

Why would you send a request for total, then go ahead any pay anyway? Waste of her time, and a waste of my time sending the message saying I'd send it tomorrow. It's nearly 11pm, I wasn't going to start packaging everything up now just to send an invoice.

Rant over.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: I Don't Know Why I Bother

Well it's great that you have such a good buyer! Of course buyers are buyers and mostly not sellers and probably they don't care all that much and thinnk that ebay is a big brain who takes care of everything it's not. I think ebay should improve when it comes to multiple sales. The design of the site is not great here.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

I sympathise, I had a similiar situ very recently. request total, you reply will respond shortly, (you can't always do the combining etc on an iphone) then pays anyway. 

and then there was the one who bought 13 items, and I had to do 13 unpaid items disputes. and then I needed 13 more listings to relist - there goes my 40 free and missed the buyers I could have had in the waiting to pay/ dispute period.  As you say its a time thing too.  we all have a life.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

smlviolin.gif

On my other account I had a buyer message me last night asking if I could drop the postage cost on one of the

listings by half,(I received the message three minutes before the listing ended),Angry head bang.gif

I messaged back showing them how I arrive at what it costs me to post the items,(I sent the message with one

minute to spare),good.giftease.gif

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

TBH I have always sent revised invoices ASAP, every moment delayed is a moment that a buyer can get impatient. I would have guessed a 3kg satche, and sent it in one any way, even if it would have snuck into below 500gm.

Quick, simple  and convenient is important to buyers.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

You could fit 100s of items in a 3kg satchel so that would be a waste of a 3kg satchel

in tippys case anyway Woman LOL

Honesty, is important to sellers Woman Happy

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

She did it again tonight with the other items she bought. I wasn't in a position to send an invoice as I was driving back from Sydney. First time, call it a seniors moment. Second time, she needs her butt kicked!

Scrambler, most of my items are on the larger side, so I'm only be able to fit 3 items, mayby 4 at a push. If I've sold some plates and teacups that I want to fit into a satchel, I can normally only fit one. If I try to fit more in to a box that will go in a satchel, they won't be packaged adequately. Most of the firgurings I sell are smaller, so would be able to fit quite a few of those in there.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

I know you do auctions so this probably doesn't apply, but since the cart was introduced and the "request total" link started appearing there, I think sometimes buyers think the request function provides an automatic update to the total, a bit like how on other sites you can press a "calculate shipping" button and then go through checkout immediately with the correct, updated total ('request' in all reality isn't really conducive to that concept, but it's a plausible theory, still Smiley Very Happy _.

But, at the same time sometimes there is no helping someone - I sent several messages in a back-and-forth exchange with a buyer who specifically wanted to know how to checkout all items at once with combined postage (to get discounted rates).

I explained it in very simple, easy to follow instructions (after confirming the device she was using), and then...

5 separate payments.

sigh

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

I sent her a message this morning letting her know I'll hopefully get her stuff posted today. I also said to PLEASE wait for an invoice in future because eBay charges fees on postage and it can take a lot of effort to get them refunded when you have paid excessive amounts of postage, even moreso when it's 2 transactions. She's only got about 100 feedback, so far from being very experienced. I did say that most sellers are happy for you to keep bidding over multiple days because they can see that you have bids on. Then when done, send a request for invoice and WAIT until the invoice is sent.

I had to do a refund of postage about 3 weeks ago and even though I only refunded excess postage, the items are showing as not paid and the buyer is getting reminders to pay. I checked PayPal and their payment is there, as is the $25 refund for excess postage, so I definitely didn't accidentally do a full refund. There is nothing to suggest anywhere that I refunded in full. My balance only went down by $25.

If this happens again with this buyer and she gets reminders to pay, she's just as likely to pay again.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

Awww c'mon!   100 fb and she doesn't know yet?        What a doofus.

Hate to be you Tippy

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

I've only got 80fb so I must be an almost newbie.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply