If you do something outside the rules do you think there really be any repercussions from ebay

like adding a 2nd catrgory so customers could use the promo code for that category to get 10% off.

For instance a tennis racquet bag and then put it in health and beauty to get access to the current 10% off PREP10 code.

eBay item number:  112567727696

I suppose a bag could be considered health and beauty but so could car tyres if driving makes you feel relaxed.

First you would need to be caught - which is a stretch.

Then I suppose your seller level would determine if they did anything.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If you do something outside the rules do you think there really be any repercussions from ebay

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Make sure your listings follow these guidelines. If they don't, some or all of your listings may be ended or not displayed in the eBay search results. You may also be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account. If a listing is in the wrong category, we may move it to a more appropriate one (the listing fee may be different) or the listing may be ended.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/search-browse-manipulation-policy?id=4243&st=... and browse manipulation policy

A suitcase in Vitamins and minerals???

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

as the rules say MAY a lot I presume you just need to be unlucky to get the book thrown at you.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

In ebay speak the word MAY translates to DEFINITELY WILL happen if we get wind of the indescretion.

All you need to do is post about it on the boards....if it is seen by one of the Trolls who read but do not post you can expect it to be reported to ebay in double quick time.....there are members out there who take delight in reporting others.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Geez I love your thread topic lol and if there are repercussions when you do something within the bloody rules then there will definitely be when you do something outside of the rules.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Personally I would not intentionally do anything that could put my business at risk

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@the_2nd_zoo wrote:

as the rules say MAY a lot I presume you just need to be unlucky to get the book thrown at you.

You obviously dont know how ebay's computer monitoring (robot) systems works.  I have accidently crossed swords

with ebay on a couple of occassions, would not recommend doing it deliberately.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I can't won't provide links for the following, because you seem to be more concerned with getting caught than whether it's permissable or anything else, so I suspect the only thing you'll pay attention to is stories from people who either were, or were not caught breaking the rules and I'm not trawling through the help pages to find a link that'll probably be ignored....but - 

Sellers are expressly not permitted from colluding with buyers or listing items incorrectly in order for the buyer to take advantage of eBay promotions - this includes things like like listing in incorrect categories, or editing a listing that was originally something like $50 +$10 postage, to be $60 free postage, so that a discount applies to the total of $60 (since most eBay promotions do not include postage).

Secondary categories don't count when it comes to category-specific discount codes, AFAIK.Not 100% sure on that. 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If you're going to do it, I wouldn't go advertising it openly.

People here sometimes say the boards are not monitored by anyone on ebay but I wouldn't 100% count on it.

But if you're asking on your own account, have a good think about why you would want to do it. There's not a thing in it for you.

There's a slight possibility it might incline a customer more towards a sale, but that's by no means certain.

That bag item you showed us-was that just an example of the sort of thing you mean or was it actually one of your items?

It looks to me as if that bag is listed as a slight mark down anyway. And on the negative side, the seller of that bag is not just an occasional seller so if they get caught or if ebay catches them deliberately trying to grab a discount on the house (as i presume ebay pays the difference for some of these promotions) then they may suffer some penalties.

Personally, I'd keep within the rules. If the customers want that bag, they'll buy it as long as it is competitve with prices on other online stores.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@the_2nd_zoo

My view - and I'm an eBay buyer rather than an eBay seller - is that dodgy practices by a seller make me less inclined to buy from them.

A few months ago, there was a seller who listed Breville coffee makers; you know those gorgeous automatic ones including Barrista and Oracle? This seller had each model listed in two categories: one the correct category, the other an incorrect category. The incorrect category was one to which a current promotion was applied.

The seller even stated on the listings that buyers would pay only $xxx because they could apply the discount code.

It actually seemed like not a bad deal, but it had the rank taste of overboiled coffee in my mouth, metaphorically speaking. If a seller was trying to get an unfair advantage and as good as admit that he was taking advantage of the eBay promotion offer, what sort of after-sales service could I expect? What sort of integrity drove him as a seller? I didn't feel comfortable buying from him, either, and being party to the whole thing.

In terms of being reported... I don't believe in the Thought Police mentality. No seller should be drawn and quartered for what they contemplate or think about (in my opinion). However, the distance between thought and action is both immeasurably wide and immeasurably narrow...

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply