Not sure what to do next

On another ID, a buyer purchased a BNWT jacket a couple of weeks ago, and left glowing feedback after receiving it. A few days later on 19/4 I received a formal ebay return request, on the basis the jacket was 'defective' because there were loose threads and a button came off. Among my choices were to accept the return or to give a full or partial refund (and the buyer keeps the jacket). I opted to accept the return and the same day sent the buyer a pre-addressed PO satchel for return of the jacket. The buyer lives about 40km away from me in the same city, so probably should have received the satchel by now.

I haven't heard anything since, nor received the jacket.

I emailed the buyer 3 days ago asking if she had received the satchel, and got no reply. Yesterday I requested her phone details (via advanced search) and when I tried the number, was informed it was disconnected. I googled the white pages, but there was no entry under the rather unusual surname at the address to which I had sent the jacket.

I have now received at least two emails from ebay stating "The buyer is still waiting to hear from you about their return request" and to respond by 24/4, otherwise "the buyer could ask us to step in and help by opening a case – this can affect your seller level". As far as I am concerned, the ball is back in the buyer's court, and I can't do anything more until I either get the jacket back (and you can be sure it will be missing all its tags, so I won't be able to resell it as BNWT), or I hear further from the buyer. Is there anything further I can do? 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Not sure what to do next

Hello, missmillerscat,

Have you tried contacting the buyer through the Resolution Centre? It almost sounds as though you have not done that, since you've received emails from eBay with "The buyer is still waiting to hear from you [...]".

If you haven't, then reply there now, stating that you have accepted the return request, etc.

I think you'd best contact eBay directly - using the Have us call you option (during business hours - 8 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week) .

The very last thing you'd want is for eBay to step in. That would be an automatic defect against your selling account.

Explain to the rep (during the phone call) that the phone has been disconnected, the buyer has not returned the item, there's no response to your messages / emails, you have accepted a return request and sent a satchel to the buyer, and the jacket received positive feedback at the time. In light of all these circumstances, you would like eBay to look at this case again.

But ... be very very careful about any suggestion on eBay's part that they step in or that you escalate.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

The advice from Couness is very good.

You should probably get onto CS and explain the situation with particular reference to the incorrect customer details and lack of communication.

I would personally use online chat as the CS reps seem a bit more knowledgeable and you'll get a transcript of the convo for file and future reference.

Make sure you mention that you've sent them a return satchel (I presume you've recorded it's tracking number?).

You MUST, as said before, make contact through the resolution centre (quote the return satchel number when you do this).

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

As I understand is that OP has gone through the proper channels as it is stated in their OP.

A formal request through ebay has been processed and OP is waiting for the reply.

But OP needs to wait and not send emails to the buyer or try and get their phone number,just be patient and don't ask ebay to step in.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

@ Kollector, the OP was not clear about whether or not she had gone through the resolution centre when replying to the customers return request.

She may have simply replied via eBay meassaging and sent a satchel to the delivery address.

Her methodology is unknown.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

Geez I thought an ebay formal return request is just that a formal return request from ebay?

OP was given options,surely these options didn't come from the buyer lol.

To me this all looks like the typical window shopping buyer that has used it and now doesn't want it and will some how end up with it and OPs money lol.

Ebay just doesn't get it when scam buyers try to rip off decent sellers.

It always has to come down to the seller being punished even when they do the right thing.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

Not sure about the pre-addressed, pre-paid satchel  (I am reading that as being addressed by hand but I could be reading wrong)

I was under the impression it was suppose be an ebay generated return label?

(or was that label stuck on the satchel in question here) ?

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

I'm thinking that the label was stuck onto the satchel,but hopefully OP comes back to clear things up for us.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

Was there not a tracking label on the pre-paid satchel? 

I'd go along with the previous responses - contact eBay via Chat, don't allow them to automatically resolve the dispute, but get it on record that you accepted the request, posted the satchel, and made numerous attempts to contact the buyer.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Not sure what to do next

@countessalmirena wrote:

Hello, missmillerscat,

Have you tried contacting the buyer through the Resolution Centre? It almost sounds as though you have not done that, since you've received emails from eBay with "The buyer is still waiting to hear from you [...]".

If you haven't, then reply there now, stating that you have accepted the return request, etc.

I contacted the buyer the same day I received her intial message requesting the return. Was this through the Resolution Centre? No idea. It was from the page that was linked to the ebay return request, so there is no record of it in my Sent emails folder. I used the option to 'Send the buyer a message' in which I told her I would send a prepaid satchel (I don't use ebay labels) to which she promptly responded and said " i will post soon as i get the bag thank you". .

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply