Is proof of damage required?

Hi there

Really appreciate some advice on this one. A buyer emailed me and asked for a full refund because the item I sent was broken in transit. I responded with 'no worries, apologies, please send me a photo of the damaged item and I will supply a full refund'.

Buyer refuses to supply photo, sends another longer email saying doesn't have time for messing around with photos and has the item (smashed to pieces) in his drawer.

I again ask for a photo and offer to fully refund him upon receipt of photo.

Buyer opens a return request and says item was wrapped in "flimsy" bubble wrap and "thin padded envelope". Again, no photo. 

Does the buyer have to prove the item is broken or will eBay just refund them on the basis of their word? I want to do the right thing but there's something really off about this guy...aggressive and uncooperative.

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is proof of damage required?

Phone ebay now and tell them to read the messages of you telling them to send photos of the smashed item and a refund would then be given  and his replies of refusal to do so.

And as stated threats of neg feedback is a breach of ebay policy and will be removed if a neg is left so make sure the rep reads that as well.

Tell the rep you do not want them to refund till he can prove his claim

Record the name date and time of the person you speak with and what they say so if anything different to what they said happens call them back and tell them you want to speak with a supervisor.

If you can fight all the way as you have no way of knowing how often this stunt is pulled on other sellers.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

In the past with me, ebay just refunded the buyers on their lying words.

I'm so peed off with your situation because this buyer is refusing to send photos so to me that just smells of BS.

If the item was of value then stick to your guns and fight it until there is proof of the damage.

But these days ebay are a bunch of galahs and immediately side with a buyer so you just need to weigh up the situation and if it's worth fighting for then fight it out.

Perhaps ask the buyer to send the item back and once you have inspected it then make your decision.

And why would the buyer have it sitting in their draw broken?

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately it's not an expensive item. 

I received another aggressive email from him this morning saying I need to pay him or eBay will resolve it and he will leave me negative feedback. Still no photo.

In his return request, he says I can pay to have it picked up from his address. He's not offering to return it himself.

I think he's either lying or is just some kind of psychopath/troll. I wonder how often he's done this to people.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Check his feedback left for others.....you may find out that he makes a habit of getting refunds.

I would be inclined to let him open a dispute.....you are entitled to ask for a photo of the damage before issuing a refund.

Make sure you keep the email where he threatens negative feedback if you do not refund....that is a no-no.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

I received another aggressive email from him this morning saying I need to pay him or eBay will resolve it and he will leave me negative feedback. Still no photo.

Buyer is using feedback extortion and is a no no with ebay. If it was me, personally I would do as lyndal suggested. I would fight this as a matter of principle, Obviously your buyer wants a freebie & the more these freeloaders get away with it, they'll never stop.....

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Thank you. I checked the feedback he's left and its mostly just 'Thanks', which could certainly be for refunds.

I will fight it and let the forum know what the outcome is.
Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Phone ebay now and tell them to read the messages of you telling them to send photos of the smashed item and a refund would then be given  and his replies of refusal to do so.

And as stated threats of neg feedback is a breach of ebay policy and will be removed if a neg is left so make sure the rep reads that as well.

Tell the rep you do not want them to refund till he can prove his claim

Record the name date and time of the person you speak with and what they say so if anything different to what they said happens call them back and tell them you want to speak with a supervisor.

If you can fight all the way as you have no way of knowing how often this stunt is pulled on other sellers.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Totally agree with what the others have said

Sounds like this one is a Freebay shopper to me

Has time to send all the messages, they have time to take a photo. IMHO

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Don't let the buyer escalate the case, if you can help it.

Under the circumstances, it may sound counter intuitive, but if you don't get anywhere with eBay I'd personally approve the request because that puts the ball back in their court and requires them to return the item before a refund is granted.

If they are angling for a free item, they won't return it, but you have given the buyer the avenue to get a resolution.

There are a couple of ways this could backfire, so while I would take that approach to both call their bluff and avoid escatlation, refund without proof and a defect, the advice comes with that caution.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for this advice. I called eBay and they said they will not refund him unless they receive proof that the item is broken. It was a call centre in India and bad reception but hopefully will work. They also said, under the circumstances, they will remove any negative feedback he posts. Sounds good so far!

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply