Occasional sellers penalised?

I'm an occasional seller so haven't been on Ebay for a while and am not up with their regular rule changes, but is this right?

I recently listed 6 items as BIN and was charged a small fee of 2.63 , they have been listed for a week and I sold 2 items .

Ebay sent me notification that they have added 'best offer' on my remaining items as they haven't sold in a week.

Are these the new rules where Ebay can run rough shot over occasional sellers.

By the way Ebay....sellers are buyers too...tick one off and you tick the other off too.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I am not sure about the best offer thing myself, however you are 100% spot on

Ebay is all and only about the buyer and seller's are treated like carp

They don't get the fact that no sellers = no buyers

Just remember if you have not sold for some time, there will be a 21 day hold on Paypal payments as they consider you a 'newie' (even if you have been buying recently) 

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

It seems pretty rude to me. I am a buyer mostly so didn't realise they would do that.

It definitely (from my point of view) should be an opt in feature. Is there any way you can untick that part on your listings, so they return to what they were before?

Of course, ebay can add best offer but you are under no obligation to accept any lower offer. That's not a real help to you though because as a buyer, if I see 'best offer' I assume that the sellers are open to close offers and it wouldn't endear you to a buyer who made an offer eg within a few cents of the asking price & got knocked back.  They would just wonder why you had it.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

The problem with these sorts of stories is it scares people away from investing too much time or energy into ebay. You can spend years, providing great service, growing your follower numbers and repeat client base.  Build up a great business, earn a full time living from ebay and then have it all taken away with one flipant decision by a faceless CS worker in an office somewhere who needs to clean up a few files before he goes to lunch.

It is THE SINGLE BIGGEST REASON I havnt gone back to full time ebay selling. My sales are slowly growing again after falling away for the last few years and I can see an  "Add on " business opportunity that would compliment my ebay business, completing the picture. BUT I have another unrelated business ticking over in the background, set up and ready to go in case something terminal happens to my ebay selling accounts. Spreading the risk and my emergency escape route as it where.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@shizam166wrote:

Ebay sent me notification that they have added 'best offer' on my remaining items as they haven't sold in a week.

Are these the new rules where Ebay can run rough shot over occasional sellers.

By the way Ebay....sellers are buyers too...tick one off and you tick the other off too.

You should be able to edit the listing and remove the best offer.

You shouldn't have too but eBay don't care if you get the price you want,(they only care that items sell so that

they can make more money).

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

@chameleon Your post is about me in a nut shell it's exactly what happened to me and when it happened it ruined our lives as it was 50% of our family income and it was taken away just like that.

But I'm paying ebay back for what they did to me don't you worry from right under their own eyes Woman Wink

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

If I manually relist an item, the 'make an offer' box is automatically ticked. I just untick and proceed.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

As eggles said, when you relist singly the 'best offer' is ticked. Untick it.

If you're doing BIN why not do 30 days? And tick the 3 free auto-relist option. When they roll over they won't/shouldn't have 'best offer' selected.

I hope the fees you were charged were sales fees. Any non-store seller gets 40 free listings per month, so you shouldn't have been hit with listing fees.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

I had listed my items as BIN no best offer...... then Ebay changed it to best offer after a week and sent me a notification  "We've allowed buyers to make offers to help you sell"....I have since revised them.

The invoice reads insertion fee @ 26.40 

Total saved  -   26.40

Total taxable amount @ 2.28

GST @ 10%              @ 0.23

Total owed              $  2.51

So it seems I owe them tax and GST on an amount that I didn't have to pay in the first place.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

You said that you sold 2 items would that amount owing in fees be the FVFs?

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply