Return requested when they haven't received the item?

My brain is fried after a really long day, so please bear with me.

I posted an item today and the buyer has requested a return citing that they found a better item.

The item was sent in a trackable envelope (small size).

I accept free change of mind returns, the entire transaction is under $10 so it's more the principle, but ...

If I click "accept the return and print a label", am I right in assuming it'll only allow me to print a package label (which is minimum $8.65?)

So therefore ... I should just refund the buyer, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

yc_pty_ltd
Community Member

I cannot see how finding  better item is a reason for a return?

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Is it a proper return request or has the buyer just sent you a message?

EDIT: Nevermind, it obviously is a return request if you have the option to generate a label. Who pays the postage on a change of mind request?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

Is it a proper return request or has the buyer just sent you a message?

EDIT: Nevermind, it obviously is a return request if you have the option to generate a label. Who pays the postage on a change of mind request?

I do, which is why I don't think I should click on "accept return and print a label", because there is no option to request that they send it back via a trackable envelope like I sent it in, right? If I can only print a package label ($8.65), I won't bother getting them to send it back (although I hate that idea on principle).

I've actually never had a return request before.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

I have to ask the question. Why do you except change of mind returns? And doesn't the buyer pay for a change of mind return? You really are opening yourself up to scammers, probably one in action here by the sound of it. Who opens a return the same day it's posted? The current scammers are highly skilled, they know the system, how to find loopholes or seller vulnerabilities (example return postage not worth paying so they get refunded instead). Isn't that making it a little easy for them. I would pay the package label and make them return it before being refunded

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

I have to ask the question. Why do you except change of mind returns? And doesn't the buyer pay for a change of mind return? You really are opening yourself up to scammers, probably one in action here by the sound of it. Who opens a return the same day it's posted? The current scammers are highly skilled, they know the system, how to find loopholes or seller vulnerabilities (example return postage not worth paying so they get refunded instead). Isn't that making it a little easy for them. I would pay the package label and make them return it before being refunded

Because accepting free change of mind returns is better than having "scammers" declare item not described to avoid paying return postage when it's actually a change of mind.

Basically, my thought process is that scammers gonna scam, so ... why open myself up to false item not as described defects? Interested to hear other sellers thoughts on this, though ... especially anyone who stocks any low value items as this one is.

Thinking I'll print the damn label and get it back out of principle, but just wondering if there is another way to make them send it back via the same method (trackable letter).

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

Because accepting free change of mind returns is better than having "scammers" declare item not described to avoid paying return postage when it's actually a change of mind.

Basically, my thought process is that scammers gonna scam, so ... why open myself up to false item not as described defects? Interested to hear other sellers thoughts on this, though ... especially anyone who stocks any low value items as this one is.

Thinking I'll print the damn label and get it back out of principle, but just wondering if there is another way to make them send it back via the same method (trackable letter).

Okay fair enough, you're aware which is the main thing. Your question regarding return label for tracked envelope is a good question. I think they only print package labels. I've wondered the same myself because I use tracked envelopes quite often

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I'd message the buyer and say I'm happy to refund on return, but since it's still in transit, I can't action anything on the request just yet - ask them to RTS the package, and hopefully they will be happy to follow through with that.

I would be reluctant to accept or refund before they've even received - as then they can just keep the item for free, or cost you postage unnecessarily, and their actions were ignorant and careless at best, intentional at worst.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I'd message the buyer and say I'm happy to refund on return, but since it's still in transit, I can't action anything on the request just yet - ask them to RTS the package, and hopefully they will be happy to follow through with that.

I would be reluctant to accept or refund before they've even received - as then they can just keep the item for free, or cost you postage unnecessarily, and their actions were ignorant and careless at best, intentional at worst.

I don't think Australia Post return packages for free anymore. Not 100% sure. I know they used to but because the service was being abused, postage has to be paid now. That's my understanding anyway

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Unless it's for someone not at that address anymore

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply