Selling items from a smokers house?

Hi all,

Not found any rules on Ebay about this, is there any rule saying you must state an item your selling has come from house where there is a smoker? Like a wooden furnture peice, stand, even though item has been fully cleaned up.

Just wondering, maybe similar to people who have wood fires on in winter., well kind of.

Thanks'

Phil

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Selling items from a smokers house?

Hawk - it take a big person to apologise on a forum, good for you.:-x

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 51 of 68
Latest reply

lol Kazbar, It'll probably drive me to drinking too in time! :^O

Doesnโ€™t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 52 of 68
Latest reply

Years ago I used to go out for a night at the pub/club and came home reeking of smoke so I only wore clothes that were machine washable.

Therefore it is not the smoke so much but the type of item that smells.

If a seller states it comes from a smoke filled home then I will often still buy the item because I can weigh up the cleaning with the type of item and price I have to pay.

I just prefer to know.

Message 53 of 68
Latest reply

what happens if the seller doesnt put anything in the listing to state pet/smoke free or not pet/smoke free

what if your place is smoke free but a buyer says item stinks of smoke

what if  its a  brand new item  with or without tags brought online and resold a week or so later

how would we respond to this.if seller didnt smell anything on it

also what if seller uses only citrus sprays in house and an item smell of this

just curious these are a few ive seen online strange ones

also one was about candle smells

these question can refer to any type of item

tara

Message 54 of 68
Latest reply

Hi all & especially to Judyfidella; Hopefully it wasn't the beautiful Iittala glasses you bought from me all those years ago? If so I wish you had told me!

I had a bad batch of recycled bubblewrap acquired from a shop refit at my local pharmacy, & I had a nasty lingering cold at one time & evidently the bubblewrap reeked of smoke! I didn't smell it until the cold cleared. By that time I'd copped a no contact negative on a huge bulk lot of beauty products that were sent so carefully wrapped in new tissue & in that b/wrap. Once I could smell the problem, the b/wrap went into the bin!

From memory that transaction was at about the same time Judyfidella purchased her glasses, so the story she relates may well have been a purchase from me!?

I now buy new bubblewrap for my items & carefully sniff any recycled that comes my way! I still use recycled boxes as outer packaging, but acquire them from the local deli, florist & supermarket. I no longer get packaging from the pharmacy. Once bitten, twice shy!

My parcel guy also smokes, but as he's so reliable I don't mind & allow for that.

As another thought on allergies... I once received a small statue, without any inner packaging whatsoever, in a laundry detergent box. I'm highly allergic to the particular brand of laundry powder, along with both lanoline & lavender, which the product contained. The box still had about a tablespoon of product inside, which had covered the item in transit. I had no idea the item would come in the poor packaging I received (the item was damaged in a city to suburbs same state post) as I had paid a fairly high price for the postage & expected a little better care of a collectable item (silly me!) The skin rash & sneezes that purchase caused haunt me every time I look at that figurine!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sellers should be mindful of their packaging & presentation, especially when using recycled materials, but in the end there are a lot of factors which may affect the end buyer of an online purchase. It would be impossible to cater for them all. I'm advocating just do your best & provide the best service you can. Sellers cannot be psychic, as much as purchasers might think we are! Cheers! Redders

Message 55 of 68
Latest reply

Hopefully judyfidella reads this. Given the thread is almost a year old, and I haven't seen them on the boards in almost a year, unlikely.

Message 56 of 68
Latest reply

ytwo000
Community Member

what about perfume smells??..they recon they done case studies and ladies perfumes can and do cause lung cancer just like tobacco. .. bought an item not long ago and gez it smelt like perfume..Nothing in the description said "smells like perfume" haha..

Message 57 of 68
Latest reply

The trouble with perfume might be that if you complain to the seller they'll want extra for their Chanel residue ๐Ÿ™‚

It's not nice to receive clothing that has a distinct odour of anything, really, and clothing should be clean, whether new or used ๐Ÿ˜ž

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 58 of 68
Latest reply

See what happens when you drag up old posts?

People start talking to people who probably will never read this thread again.

Message 59 of 68
Latest reply

Yes Dave but its a whole new bunch of beep learning now.
Message 60 of 68
Latest reply