Spot The Buyers Own Contradictions

Lol... Good try but not very bright !?!?!? - 12th April 5.22pm Buyer purchases item $160.60 + Postage - 13th April 9.40am - Item Posted & Tracking Number uploaded to his Purchase History via Click & Send - 21st April - Message from Buyer - "Hi there Mate. Just wondering what the latest is. Item not received & Tracking Number is incorrect" - Checked Tracking Number on AP Tracking Site - Shows Delivered on 19th April @ 1.19pm - Messaged Buyer "Hi nnnn, Not sure what is going on but I just checked AP Tracking Site & it shows Item delivered @ SIGNED FOR (little white lie on my behalf) to nnnnn Street, nnnnnn town, @ 1.19pm on 19th April. The Tracking No. is correct - Let me know if you think the Mail has been interfered with & I'll launch a Formal Enquiry with AP & the Police" - Message from Buyer - "Thanks but I've just spoken to Aust. Post who gave the same information (thought the Tracking No. was showing as incorrect - AND he managed to talk to them after they have closed for the day - WOW!!) - Next Message from Buyer - "No need to worry - They have found it" Seems the threat of launching a "Formal Enquiry" with Aust. Post & the Police plus my little white lie about it being signed for made him decide not to try for the Freebie....
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Spot The Buyers Own Contradictions

yes, his answer to your message about the item being delivered and signed for regardless of there being no SOD on the item should have been 'but i havent recieved it and no one at my address signed for anything.

i often send things of high value SOD without charge if i'm worried the buyer may be dodgy. so a buyer saying it didnt have SOD might not work if the buyer didnt know it had it.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Hi All, I Understand what you are all saying about my little white lie - BUT - I think my hunch was right in that ALL he saw in the were the words " Formal AP Enquiry" & "Police" - then he panicked & backed out as fast as he could.... Had he questioned the "Signed for" bit, I would have apologised & said I had it wrong about that... But he didn't, instead he panicked even more... One thing I didn't mention was that he said AP had "confirmed it was delivered AND SIGNED FOR on the 19th" - THAT confirmed my hunch for me... Anyway... if I hear any more I'll update you....
Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

It is all a bit double standards if you ask me.

You are annoyed that a buyer would lie to you but you don't mind doing it yourself.

I was always taught that two wrongs don't make it right but I guess in your eyes it does.

What a pity buyers cannot block sellers.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Lyndal... When someone tries to steal $160 from me I get cranky.... simple as that.... sometimes a bit of fighting fire with fire works.... That person doesn't deserve my respect or a fair go because he wasn't giving me any & he's simply a Thief.... I was polite & didn't once call him a liar... I just gave him a hand to dig his hole & called his bluff. It saved a LOT of time & bother not having to fight him through Ebays ridiculous system, & my hard earned $160 won't be tied up by PayPal forever while I wait for someone to figure out the obvious & then let him do it all over again to someone else... Who knows, perhaps he might think twice before he tries it again on one of us? ....I'm sorry, but I don't consider myself the bad boy here, nor am I ashamed of the way I busted his Scam.... Had he turned out to be genuine then I would have been the first apologise & done whatever I could to help, but the more he ducked, weaved & lied, the more I was convinced that I was dealing with nothing but a petty criminal who was not very bright, so I treated him accordingly.
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

You assumed the buyer was a thief.

You were right to query the buyer, as you had the tracking results.

The thing is, really, that you had enough ammunition to confront the buyer politely (tracking, formal investigation), without a mistruth on your side.

It wasn't needed, you could hold your head up high as you hadn't done anything wrong.

Fortunately, it turned out OK...but a white lie was an extra that could have backfired. eBay messages can be used by either side in a complaint.

IF the buyer had really not received the item, you would have been in a situation to prove a signature, perhaps, depending on any action the buyer might have wanted to take.

Best to keep things straight and clear even (perhaps even more so) against possible cheats.

You had enough to scare any buyer with, if a fraud. An investigation is a real threat and can shake parcels out of the air 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

I think all of your message to the buyer was great-except for the bit about it having been signed for, when you knew it had not.

I think that was a mistake because even if the buyer was a scammer (and I suspect you are right and he was), the logical next step would be for a scammer to ask a quick question around the household as he would know he didn't sign for it. he would want to check if anyone else did.

In fact, I would have assumed this was why he was trying it on, because even though it had tracking,  he took delivery without signing.

A scammer then could message you back, saying hey, I didn't sign, give me details.

I know it worked out, I bet your message about involving police etc did work, but I think it would have worked even if you had just kept it to saying the tracking was correct and showed delivery at such and such a time etc and would put the police onto it.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

but lyndal we CAN block sellers

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

We can?  Please tell me how.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

Lyndal, if you go to your search page, on the left margin - "more refinements"

Then you get this pop up - you click on only show items from, then enter sellers id.

Multiple sellers can be entered with a comma between.

more refinnements.JPG

Save this and you'll never see them again.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks Stawks.

You can always learn something from these boards no matter how long you have been posting.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply