What Australian ombudsman do I contact to file a complaint against ebay?

I have beeen trying to sort an issue with ebay out for a while now. In a nutshell ebay has been the most evasive and unhelpful organisation I have ever dealt with.

Is there an ombudsman that can help with this issue? I am based in Australia.

Message 1 of 146
Latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

Re: What Australian ombudsman do I contact to file a complaint against ebay?

I have closed down my 2 weeks ago 440 listings in my Ebay shop because of on-line theft. A very expensive Fendi dress sent to London was scammed under Ebay's seller protection policy - she put in a not as described dispute, won & is keeping my beautifuul dress because I was prepared to fight the claim resulting in not facilitating a RETURN LABEL. Last week she was refunded the monies for this dressnwhich were held in my Paypal account for more than a month. As a TOP RATED SELLER & POWER SELLER here in Australia the case went out of Australian hands into the UK system and I was given no protection what-so-ever (Australia Ebay was pitiful). I cannot sell my stunning garments with policies like this. When googling problems with Ebay a plethora of posts come up stating EBAY/PAYPAL ARE THIEVES across the board including paying NO TAX.  In the meantime I am still selling on Etsy which is building up nicely and encourages sellers to have a social network profile of some kind FACEBOOK BEING THE PREFERRED ONE. I have told my 100's of followers on Ebay to go to Facebook if they are not members of Etsy. The listings can be linked to facebook with the click of a button so not to labour intensive. I may have to change my lifestyle as most of my money came from Ebay but they will have to beg me to come back if they ever come to their senses.  In the meantime she has trashed my 100% feedback & I have cancelled more than 4 overseas sales of very expensive dresses so I am not scammed again and which have depleted my top-rater seller dashboard.  I do have Ebay Sydney's Head Office address from 10 years ago (I believe they are still there) and will be mailing a letter to them to to let them know how diabolical I think they are.

Message 21 of 146
Latest reply

Even a stodgy old bloke like me can see you are selling beautiful high end fashion and I can appreciate it hurts when one of your items is stolen. I,m sure you love finding and re-homing each individual item.

Is this the first time you have been scammed ? All B & M stores make an allowance for shoplifting thefts when setting prices and developing a business model. ebay is the same. If you run a business on ebay, unfortunately these days you need to make allowances for online theft and spurious claims, as ebay have facilitated online shoplifting through its returns process.

Message 22 of 146
Latest reply

I have been scammed lots of times before.  I've been a member of ebay under disparate id's since it first arrived in Australia and was even locked out of my own Ebay shop 10 years ago when it was highjacked & someone started listing their stuff in my shop.  Had to spend days on the phone to Canada to get that fixed.  I have been easily able to close all the listings down because I am so outraged with their policies these days (including other peoples clothing being advertised in my shop and customers wearing the garments & then sending then back).  I am sick & tired of Ebay who in my opinion has morphed into the worst employer I have ever worked for!

Message 23 of 146
Latest reply

I don't blame you for shutting up shop. Ebay encourage and even push shoplifting and free dress hire. The buyers know they can wear a new outfit every weekend and never have to pay a cent for it. Of course they are going to keep doing it because eBay lets them. You haven't got a hope. I hope you do better elsewhere.

Message 24 of 146
Latest reply

I have just read your debackle caused by eBay to you and your store.

Im so sorry to hear that they have screwed you to the wall. You have inspired me to get the F out of eBay after 11 years of selling.

I too have had my store closed , taking my 11 years of history.

what happened to me was this: Mine is all about giving out address and phone number to customers before they commit to sale: We all know that is not on , so  I wait for a sale if they want contact details for local pick up.

Violation 1- I cant get any details as it was back in May so we dont have more than 3 months messages etc. 

Violation 2 - Customer contacts me in a message attached to the listing ID they are asking about, after conversing back and forth  12 messages before the sale, get a sale , I check awaiting postage , now I can give contact details . on the messages that followed 2 more .

NOOOOOOOOOO  

Ring customer service : they tell me that you have to give the details to the customer after a sale if you offer it and this she checked to make sure I had the sale first , so the 7 day susspention was lifted then and there. 

WHY WASNT I TOLD ABOUT ITEM NUMBERS BEING MOST IMPORTANT WHEN MESSAGING.

Violation 3 - Customer contacts me like above  similar scinario to the above , not details till after the sale is complete  but this time I receive a shut down of ebay store completely, gone everything . I argue regarding the details given were after sale and then a supervisor gets on and she explains that GET THIS:

If a customer asks a question about EG: fragrance oils, you might have two listings of fragrance oils, if then the customer buys fragrance oils but  customer doesnt buy fragrance oil ( item id is different) that the message is attached to and you give the contact details out,  even though there is fragrance oil sale completed.

This is a violation and they will not reinstate your store back . Only you opening a store again , starting from scratch will they help with reinstating all your listings which took them 2 hours to do!!!!!!!!!!!! Also they put a hold on funds until the item is recieved , they also the store on probation which I am more than 30% down on last month sales to date and it is now 2 weeks since this happened. 

So the long and short of it, never respond to a customer via a message with contact details even after a sale , always go to the drop down box next to the sale (contact buyer) . 

If I had of been alerted to the fact you need to make sure the item number of the sale is the same item number of the messages where the details have been written is paramount, I would of been able to avoid this emormous stress and loss of income.

I am your typoical 50 year old , that has limited knowlege of how to set up shopify, etsy, instagram and soon Amazon .

I did set up my website but as a one man band I find it difficult to do everything myself.

This has led to me having my eggs in ONE basket, eBay. Foolish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be employing a virtual assistance with  all and diveting all away from ebay to other ecommerse sites.

So my question has been answered by all the post here about an Ombudsman , dont bother trying to chase eBay,  move on to other places and hold ebay accountable for every little thing they do, like shutting down your availability to use your store on their so called Friday mainenance day.Or prove the late shipment % amount .etc etc 

sloneranger62 - Can I please have the eBay Sydney address if you can pass this onto me? 

Message 25 of 146
Latest reply

@gabrieison-0 wrote:
Yep they are thieves plain n simple I'll never use eBay to buy or sell again mofos

I'm happy to proven wrong, but I believe eBay's restricted and prohibited item policy would completely forbid using the site for the purchase and/or reselling of mofos.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 27 of 146
Latest reply

Well, said, I personally think that ebay could not care less about their sellers as I too have been burnt several times. I have never sold goods overseas-only within Australia but regardless- there are those exploiters that continue to use+abuse the system. I have a lot of stuff now on "ebid.net" . Even though sales are a bit slower, they are there and it does take time to build a goodwill all over again, plus you can export all of your goods from ebay as well as export all of your current feedback rating which makes life a whole lot easier!

So give it a try, you have nothing to lose but a bit of time. So people, forget ebay as they have had a good run and they killing their own business of their own greed and disregard. 

Message 28 of 146
Latest reply

Yeh, I agreee, I have moved a tonne of stuff to "ebid.net", smaller, have been around since before ebay and has an honest community, much cheaper fees and very relaxed with none of these lame rules, policies and regulations either. 

Message 29 of 146
Latest reply

don’t be surprised if you posts about a competitor for eBay are edited or totally removed as it is against board posting policy to encourage members to use other sites.

Message 30 of 146
Latest reply