Why NO eBay Credit, WHY, WHY, WHY

How Pathetic as sellers on eBay Australia we still have no option to offer BUYERS a truly hassle free buying experience by offering credit to Buyers so they can BUY NOW and pay off in installments.

It will be the downfall of eBay Australia as the US has had it via PayPal Credit for years and now every Online Australian Retailer has it via AFTERPAY or one of the DOZEN other providers that have popped up over the last couple of years.

WHAT A DISGRACE

WAKE UP eBay, seriously, we are coming up to the busiest time of the year for a lot of sellers and BUYERS ONLINE are avoiding eBay like the plague because this option has not been put into place as yet.

I'm not sure there is anything more pathetic, charge commissions on postage, yeah, not a problem, but to lift sales across the whole eBay community moving forward, and all you get is crickets.

Not sure it gets any worse, something so simple, yet eBay fail to act, that my friends unfortunately is the main reason why eBay Australia is going down the sinkhole quicker than it can open

Zipay

Afterpay

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Why NO eBay Credit, WHY, WHY, WHY

@change-your-username wrote:

Other online retailers are NOT financial institutions either

Other online retailers are not offering the credit themselves.....they are using Afterpay or some other facility that is set up by a financial institution.

As someone else said.....your beef is with paypal, not ebay.  If paypal offers the facility in Australia it is sure to be available to ebay as paypal is the only payment facility used by ebay.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Must be just you lol.

Pay for something in full what about all the home loans out there?

Would be great if we could all pay for our homes in full.

Majority would be in debt of some kind than not.

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

@change-your-username wrote:

Who as a buyer wouldn't want to buy something and pay it off over 4 instalments interest free and get the goods up front?

You may not be interested, but the online sales being driven by eBays competitors says you are in a very small minority.

Because some of us don't like owing money when we can avoid it, and paying something off in instalments constitutes owing money.

The vast majority of consumers (both online and offline) still pay for goods upfront, so I'm not sure what you're talking about with your second statement.

As someone who works in bricks and mortar retail, I can tell you that, since the introduction of Afterpay and Zip Pay, we've never had more returns. Paying $25 for a $100 item is too appealing for some people, and when the reality hits that they still owe another $75, they want to return it. As an eBay seller, I don't want to be dealing in an increase in returns, so if it's ever introduced on eBay, it'd better be opt in, so I can opt out.

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

I think there was a typo in the thread heading. It should have read .......Why NO eBay Credit, WHA WHA WHA 

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

eBay owns Paypal - why cant this question be put to eBay?
Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

I don't think eBay owned Paypal even when this thread was current. Even when they did, it was a stand alone subsidiary.

eBay certainly don't own Paypal now, so there is no point asking eBay. And there will be even less in a year or so when eBay start using Adyen exclusively for payment processing.

Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

Ebay hasn't owned Paypal since July 2015.

So it certainly wasn't relevant when this thread started.

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

Apparently, PayPal have been "mulling" over this for about 4 years, lol.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/paypal-mulls-may-branch-out-of-the-digital-world...

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

I'm afraid you need to update your information source, they are about 5 years out of date 

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

From that link - which is dated 28th October 2015

Bill Me Later has operated in the US for many years. PayPal bought the company of the same name in 2008.

They seem to be dragging their feet, or someone's forgotten all about it.

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply