Why are Final value fees so High

Why are Final value fees so High?

Once E Bay final fees apply and the paypal fee as well we are looking at around 13%... then the shipping cost have to be met.

I know a fee should apply but this makes selling low priced items not really worth the effort.

Yes I understand Profit Viability of a product.... But with the turn over E Bay makes... I believe the 9.9% on both item and shipping as well, is a bit rich... especially for those of us non business sellers.

"Crickey Mate" suggests finding another Platform and I have found more than one... I can still use Paypal and it will give me all the protections I require; and my overhead becomes much less. Very soon I will stop selling on Ebay that is of course unless things change.

If anyone agrees with my point of view I suggest they vote for change with their feet as I will be doing.

Good Luck everyone

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Why are Final value fees so High

Not to mention that eBay didn't charge GST in the dim, dark past when this thread was started.

13% of $180 is $22.40, so $19.60 is cheap. It is in fact 10.89% of $180, the advertised eBay FVF.

Message 51 of 72
Latest reply

OMG! Can SOMEBODY pleeease think of ebay's pocket instead of selfishly thinking of your own???

See attachment from The Wall Street Journal - ebay's annual stats, the closest column is 2016, then 2015, 2014, etc.

Not only did ebay not pay tax in 2016 and got a huge refund, they also increased their Net Income by over 300% (when did they start ripping us off by charging commission on postage?).

But no matter, we are happy to feed the children of those poor ebay execs.

Message 52 of 72
Latest reply

We are small group of seller's who considered these fee as u n f a i r ripping off f e e!! Even with 100% positive feedback ebay will find some d e f e c t which will make your prformance b e l o w standarts and start taking $2 fees from a hundred of your items...NO COMMENTS.Man Sad

@spudd57joe wrote:

Hi, Thanks 

I have and and yes you are right; less traffic at the moment, but I am patient and as more people become aware of the selling and buying alternatives, things may change.

I do not depend on selling on E Bay for a living, it is a sideline. So, being protected by Pay Pal and other platforms is enough for now.

Also, through social media I will do a bit of, let's say, "awareness exposure" and see what eventuates.

As a buyer, ebays is pretty good.

As a seller, not so much -  for me.

And, I'm sure that I am not the only one a little miffed with things like 9.9% on shipping, when ebay has no part in that... no effort on their part, just pure profit gauging.

All I am saying is that if everyone puruses issues such as that... maybe someting might change.

I am a small fish in a big pond, so I will not be missed; but, if a large school of small fish leave... well...

Message 53 of 72
Latest reply

RIPP OFF -even with 100% positive feedback -no guarantee you will be not charged $2 per item fee bacause of  t r i c k y system of defects.

Message 54 of 72
Latest reply

jetay_64
Community Member

way to high i was thinking of selling on ebay until i used the ebay calculater  all most all my profit  i would have to put it up and the customer probably wouldn't bye because it allmost shop price im shore people are looking for a deal  im definitely finding a better platform 

Message 55 of 72
Latest reply

I just sold an item on ebay and there fee was 10.9%, so looks like they have gone the other way which is up.

Message 56 of 72
Latest reply

The fee has been 10.9% since July LAST year. 18 months, so it's not a new cost. It was 9.9% for several years before that, but eBay now charge and pay GST on their fees, thus putting something into the Australian economy.

Message 57 of 72
Latest reply

I've just been stung with a $43! final sale bill for a $310 camera lens!!!

I'm leaving ebay.

Message 58 of 72
Latest reply

The Panasonic Lumix ? That apparently sold for $403.55 (inc postage), not $310.00.

I hope you realise that your funds will be on hold for 21 days or until you can show delivery by tracking/or feedback - but that does not mean you can not post within your handling time of 1 day.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 59 of 72
Latest reply

@soundknight21 wrote:

I've just been stung with a $43! final sale bill for a $310 camera lens!!!

I'm leaving ebay.

Why the dummy spit?

This is not the first time you have sold on ebay.....you would have known about the FVFs.

Message 60 of 72
Latest reply