any safe way to sell pickup paid by paypal?

I sell some items where I allow pickup. And even if I say Cash on Pickup is preferred, obviously some buyers prefer paypal to use their balance or ebay coupons.

But I find it very frustrating that ebay allows pickup, but has no safety net if the buyer files a paypal claim.

I can ask for ID, but some people feel very uncomfortable handing this out, and especially letting me take a copy.

I can kindly say that without it, I cannot continue with the sale. But in real life, buyers can get frustrated and leave negative feedback. Plus, it's just not a nice purchasing experience for them, or me!

Has anyone found any way to keep themselves as a seller safe from potential scams without making the buyer feel like an untrustworthy scumbag? I want to have positive relations with buyers and not have to treat each of them like potential scammers.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I hear you but getting photo ID is probably the best.

Perhaps put in the listing, As per PayPal protection anyone using PayPal and picking up items, is required to bring photo ID.

Otherwise you could create a delivery docket, write in their details while they are there and get a signature.

Making sure the person picking up is the same as the eBay acount holder.

image host
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Thanks. Yea I might have to mention ID for pickup in the listings to make it clear. Many buyers skim the description though.

Feels like this is a big hole in the selling process. 

One of many I guess 

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Verifying identity to ensure that the buyer is the same person as the buyer from ebay is easy enough to reconcile, and more palatable than "in case you try to scam me later", since it can be taken as for their benefit as well, but taking the copy is harder to get people to be comfortable with.

Maybe a compromise? I have to show photo ID when I pick up items I've purchased online but elected to pick up from a store, but they don't copy it (I know it's a bit different, but it is a process people are a little more used to), so maybe you can ask for the ID, and note down the identifying number of the receipt (eg the license number), and have them sign the receipt as a way of verifying the details are correct? That way you still get some verifiable identification info, that the buyer then has to confirm as belonging to them with a signature. 

You could create your own pick-up receipt form so that it's customised to the information you want, and even give them a copy. The more formalised and simple something like this is, like it's just a step in the process, the easier most people tend to take it. If you can digitalise it in some way, on a mobile device, it would also be more reasonable to take a quick snap of the ID at the same time, as a part of the pick-up receipt process. 

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

As far as I know paypal doesn't offer any protection for picked up items, so I'd imagine you'd just show that they selected pickup in the checkout and they would close the case in your favour.

Your claim will not qualify for a refund under PayPal’s Buyer Protection Policy for an Item Not Received claim, if:

• You collect the item in person, or arrange for it to be collected on your behalf, including if you use PayPal in a seller’s physical store
Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Actually there is limited paypal cover for pickup items now, which is one of the reasons why sellers should try and avoid it.

Some buyers will see it as an easy way to get a refund after picking the item up.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

I understand your concerns, as I also allow pickup of many items. I state in my listings that cash on pickup is preferred, but there are still those who don't read and pay by Paypal anyway.  Most times I email them and let them know I will be refunding their PP payment and will take cash if they still intend picking up. Otherwise they will have to pay for postage.

Pickup is a privilege not a right, and some sellers even request a fee for pickup!! (I don't). The only negative I ever received was from a buyer who got angry when I refunded her $10 PP payment for a pickup item. If that is their attitude I'd rather not sell to them.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Actually there is limited paypal cover for pickup items now, which is one of the reasons why sellers should try and avoid it.

Some buyers will see it as an easy way to get a refund after picking the item up.

They can open an item not as described case, but I think it would be far from an easy refund, because they have to prove they returned the item to the seller.

It's chargebacks that would be the biggest concern.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

I'm approaching this with my buyer's hat on.

If i turned up on your doorstep and you had some sort of receipt for me to sign, to verify I had received such and such an item, I would not have a problem with that. 

I would however have a huge problem with you snapping photos of my driver's licence or anything else. Nope, not going to happen.

Do you know just how easy it is to receive a driver's licence online? All you need to do is type in your name & address, date of birth and it is yours for $25. I know because I recently misplaced my licence. identity theft is too much of a worry these days. No one is snapping photos of my licence.

Yes, i know, I'm getting grouchier in my old age but I bet there would be a lot of people like myself around.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

I've often picked up items for which I've paid or which I've ordered online or over the phone. I believe I have always been asked to show photo ID, and it's more often than not that a note will be made of my driver's licence number.

As long as it's done quickly and professionally, with the number being noted rather than the driver's licence being photographed, I think the majority of buyers would be fine with it. But I agree with you, Springyzone, that "snapping photos" of photo ID might cause a problem!

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply