drop in sales

Has anyone noticed a dramatic drop in veiws and sales in the past 7 days?

I have noticed the veiws on my items have slowed and my sales have more than halved. This has happened suddenly. 

I have also noticed my items are hard to find when I am doing a general search where as before I would find my items quite easy.

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: drop in sales

I should just add, the 12 month figure related to listings WHICH HAD NOT MADE A SALE in the last 12 months. Most of my listings are " one offs" and so any listing older than 12 months will not have had a sale.

Message 21 of 64
Latest reply

I saw 4c mentioned so you'll save 10% on your figures, but they'll probably add GST to it, so it'll be halfway between the two figures. Smiley Wink

I thought they said they'd 'talk to us' before they remove old listings but I wouldn't necessarily trust them. I don't use seller hub but recently I added up the value of the stock I've got listed from my store categories section and figured out that I sell about a third of my stock every year - but some items sell out fast while others don't sell at all for a few years.

Message 22 of 64
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

I saw 4c mentioned so you'll save 10% on your figures, but they'll probably add GST to it, so it'll be halfway between the two figures. Smiley Wink

I thought they said they'd 'talk to us' before they remove old listings but I wouldn't necessarily trust them. I don't use seller hub but recently I added up the value of the stock I've got listed from my store categories section and figured out that I sell about a third of my stock every year - but some items sell out fast while others don't sell at all for a few years.

Sometimes you just have to wait for the right person to come along. I had quite a few things that had been relisting over and over for the last 3+ years. I'd dropped the price, I'd increased the price. I was all set to pull them off and list them all as a bulk lot when someone came along and swooped the whole lot. They were stoked with them all and were so pleased they could get them all in one place, instead of having to look all over. Not only did they leave me great feedback, they sent a message telling me how pleased they were with the items and were exactly what they'd been looking for. They even asked if I had more.

Sometimes you just have to be patient. Problem is, eBay isn't going to like that.

Message 23 of 64
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

Sometimes you just have to wait for the right person to come along. I had quite a few things that had been relisting over and over for the last 3+ years. I'd dropped the price, I'd increased the price. I was all set to pull them off and list them all as a bulk lot when someone came along and swooped the whole lot. They were stoked with them all and were so pleased they could get them all in one place, instead of having to look all over. Not only did they leave me great feedback, they sent a message telling me how pleased they were with the items and were exactly what they'd been looking for. They even asked if I had more.

Sometimes you just have to be patient. Problem is, eBay isn't going to like that.

My whole business model on the established stores is to list rare items that not many people want, price them high and then just sit back and wait patiently for the right buyer to come along. Sometimes this can take five years and for many items, the buyer is from overseas. It has worked very well for us, but if ebay decide to phase out any listings over 12 months old, they will phase my stores out of existance. Just another example of how ebay constantly change the goal posts, making it almost immpossible to plan and build a long established business on the platform.

It was constant changes such as this that drove us to open a new ebay store with a completely different product line and business model a couple of weeks ago.  This has worked a treat with the new store outselling the two established stores in its second week in dollar terms. ( close to $1000 in sales in the last seven days ). The items we sell in the new store tend to appeal to a slightly wider audience and be much faster sellers than those we sell in the existing stores. They are also not influenced by technology changes and cheap Chinese knock-offs, which where having an impact on our existing stores.

Message 24 of 64
Latest reply

Non Performing Listings, this I find a little confusing.  I do check mine on a regular bases and just the other day I had about 10 new items than I had just listed on this list along with several items which had just sold some, and decreased the amount available and also I list on a 30 day basis which means I loose my watchers every roll over and fresh ones come on, well there were items with new watchers on them on this list as well.  So, what is a non performing listing?

Message 25 of 64
Latest reply

I cant answer for ebay, but looking at my non performing listings, they are items that have been listed for a very long time without a sale. My longest listed, non performing listing has been up for 2668 days ( nearly 8 years....   ) Maybe I should have a look at that one do something about it    Smiley Very Happy

They have also had a number of views, but no buyer. ebay rates most of them as a 1% chance of selling. I expect some of this would come down to how many similar items have sold on ebay recently and the price achieved. Like everything, ebay announces a policy, but the details are usually sketchy or completely non existant, so we are left to try to guess what ebay are thinking.

Message 26 of 64
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

I cant answer for ebay, but looking at my non performing listings, they are items that have been listed for a very long time without a sale. My longest listed, non performing listing has been up for 2668 days ( nearly 8 years....   ) Maybe I should have a look at that one do something about it    Smiley Very Happy

They have also had a number of views, but no buyer. ebay rates most of them as a 1% chance of selling. I expect some of this would come down to how many similar items have sold on ebay recently and the price achieved. Like everything, ebay announces a policy, but the details are usually sketchy or completely non existant, so we are left to try to guess what ebay are thinking.

Well, of course there won't be any similar items to compare them to because they're unique, so naturally it'll look like they have a low chance of selling - if they're only going by stats, which ebay seems obsessed with, even if they're inaccurate stats!

If ebay only allow items that sell within a year they'll end up with no unique or rare items and all we'll see will be trendy, run of the mill items with umpteen sellers trying to sell the same thing.  That's incredibly short-sighted.  Sure, get rid of rubbish that's got buckley's hope of selling, but ebay wouldn't know which those items are.

bottomoftheharbour, I think I read earlier that inactive listings are ones where they haven't sold or are unlikely to sell within 12 months.  The only way they can already have had sales if there's more than one available.  I think I read that they can remove listings or charge us a maintenance fee to leave them on, but they added at the end that if any of these apply they'll 'reach out to us'.  Hopefully that means they'll give us some warning before they delete anything.  If they delete anything of mine without warning I'll be furious because I won't know which ones they are without doing a lot of work.

Message 27 of 64
Latest reply

Something I am still very unclear about is what sort of listings could become non-performing? Presumably they would have to be listed as GTC? Because if an item is relisted by the 3 free relists method, doesn't a new item number get assigned each time? So it could not be designated as non-performing after 30 days?

Message 28 of 64
Latest reply

Join the club, I can't work it out at all.  I get sales on items when they are considered underperforming, so yes, what is an underperforming item.  Does it work on a rotation of your shop items.  Does it work on items sold with no feedback.  As we know feedback is not a given with buyers.  Grrrr.  Unlike many, I do quite like the Seller Hub, I find it has so much interesting information but this Underperforming Items section has me totally confused.

Message 29 of 64
Latest reply

My oldest listings still sitting on eBay are from 2014, it's more like having a visual collection rather than me trying to sell anything!
Message 30 of 64
Latest reply