has anybody else having a sales crash in oz ebay since the new year and experiencing no sales now

I sell on another id and have been a seller for 10 years and have experienced a huge downturn from $500 to $800 a week to now zero this week, buyers are scarce even watchers, ebay is useless in finding why, just says sellers are dependant on buyers-what if they have dissapeared like here? I am only giving it another few weeks to show something is happening beyond my control & will not have any money to pay ebay for my store and listers, any suggestions?

Message 1 of 187
Latest reply
186 REPLIES 186

has anybody else having a sales crash in oz ebay since the new year and experiencing no sales now

Things are not happening for me for over a week after relisting, and before that was a week plus without a sale (not this account).

I used to make one new poster every 1 to 2 weeks, now it's been months since I made a new poster.  No motivation due to no sales.

It's getting closer to the point that I have to reconsider if I should spend the money to invest in more bulk supplies, in the hope of a future rise in sales.

Message 81 of 187
Latest reply

Yep kinda,

Things were going well actually and building up quite nicely, selling aproximiatly 5+ items daily, last month was very good, i got a $700 bill from EBay for the month of june so i thouight its time to go into a basic store, which has been my goal for the last two years.

I opened the store on the 28th of june to save on fees both final value and insertion, yet once opened i noticed that i was still getting charged insertion fees. "EBay said i had to cancel all my good till cancelled items and relist them to fall under the new stores benefits" yet it clearly says in the information prior to opening a store that all your listings will automaticaly transfer to the store.

Since i opened the store 8 days ago my sales have taken a massive instant nose dive, 8 small sales in 8 days and im positive its due to haveing to relist all my items for them to fall under the store benefits, now i have lost two years worth of watchers and the little notification on your listings as to how many you have sold are gone also, all the hard work and patience has been for nothing it seems, very disapointed in having to now do the hard yards again.

Message 82 of 187
Latest reply

A $700 bill for insetion fees? You're nuts! As for 2 years worth of watchers, I would assume that if they are still watching after 2 years, they're probably not going to buy. To maximise your listing potential for a non store, you would have been far better listing for 30 days with 3 free relists. That means each item would be listed for 4 months. Saves a bucket load on fees. Did you make enough over $700 to make a profit, or is eBay the only one making anything from your listings?

Message 83 of 187
Latest reply

If I received a $700 bill from ebay and it was before I opened up a store it would mean that I had an excellent month lol.

$700 in fees could mean $7000 in sales perhaps??

Message 84 of 187
Latest reply

I love your positive attitude. Your items are lovely and your gungho take no prisoners outlook is inspiring.  You always motivate me, but I am possibly a lot older than you so it takes me quite a while to Persevere and Advance..............that was my school motto!!

Message 85 of 187
Latest reply

@eezipeezi888 wrote:

If I received a $700 bill from ebay and it was before I opened up a store it would mean that I had an excellent month lol.

$700 in fees could mean $7000 in sales perhaps??

I got the feeling a large proportion of that was insertion fees. EBay say that if the item sells the insertion fees are refunded, but once the item is relisted, that insertion fee is forfeited. As they were running GTC listings, that would be every month as opposed to every 4 months with 30 days and 3 free relists.

I refuse to pay insertion fees. They get enough money without paying them extra. If others want to do it, good luck to them. In this day and age they're going to need it, unless they sell phones or coins.

Message 86 of 187
Latest reply

The sales crash is due to poor management decisions and greed by Ebay. Private and small scale sellers have dissappeared from Ebay because of the high fees (the high fees combined with time involved in listing, packing and postage mean that you basically loose money by selling on Ebay). Factor in all the scammers and dishonest buyers who claim charge backs for no reason and its just not worth the effort to sell. With the dissappearance of private and small sellers, the variety of stuff for sale and the real bargains have dissappeared, with the result that buyers have also dissappeared. All the interesting stuff and second hand bargains that were provided by private and small scale sellers has been replaced by mass produced chineese junk and (at best) stuff you can buy elsewhere for a cheaper price. There are also lots of bad sellers on ebay - buyers often wait weeks for an item to arrive and when it does arrive its either: a) probably the genuine article but old, faded and dusty like its been used or sat on the shelf for years or b) a cheap chineese knock-off that isn't fit for purpose or breaks after first use. Many buyers have discovered that they are better off buying elsewhere. It's basically a death spiral. 

Message 87 of 187
Latest reply

@wstevenson21 wrote:

The sales crash is due to poor management decisions and greed by Ebay. Private and small scale sellers have dissappeared from Ebay because of the high fees (the high fees combined with time involved in listing, packing and postage mean that you basically loose money by selling on Ebay). Factor in all the scammers and dishonest buyers who claim charge backs for no reason and its just not worth the effort to sell. With the dissappearance of private and small sellers, the variety of stuff for sale and the real bargains have dissappeared, with the result that buyers have also dissappeared. All the interesting stuff and second hand bargains that were provided by private and small scale sellers has been replaced by mass produced chineese junk and (at best) stuff you can buy elsewhere for a cheaper price. There are also lots of bad sellers on ebay - buyers often wait weeks for an item to arrive and when it does arrive its either: a) probably the genuine article but old, faded and dusty like its been used or sat on the shelf for years or b) a cheap chineese knock-off that isn't fit for purpose or breaks after first use. Many buyers have discovered that they are better off buying elsewhere. It's basically a death spiral. 

I dont disagree with many of your sentiments, but its not all gloom and doom. Yes the fees are creeping up all of the time and are not nearly as cheap as three or four years ago, but compared to traditional B & M auction rooms or commissions paid to commercial BIN selling agents, the fees are still fairly reasonable.

It does appear that ebay policies are discouraging small store sellers, but maybe that is ebays long term plan. It is possible that the companies focus is to become a clearing house for the large brand name retailers and small sellers of used items dont have a place in this structure.

If you are loosing money selling on ebay, after taking into account time spent on listing packing and posting, you either need to donate your items to charity or change the products you are selling. Even now, I am still making quite good wages per hour for the time I spend on ebay. I was working as a private contractor in the building industry before going into enbay. I still occasionally get offered commercial jobs from past clients etc. but to be honest, I can make more money for my time spent on ebay, than going out and working.

As for sales, I do wonder if ebay have tweaked thier systems recently. My sales have been incredibly consistent month in month out for several years. Recently the patterns seem to have broken down and the market appears less regulated. My sales are actually improving, despite the fact that the effort I am putting into ebay is minimal. It would actually pay for me to spend more time on my stores at the moment as sales are strong and profit margins are quite high. 

Message 88 of 187
Latest reply

WELL, Just been blown away when I checked the sales figures for my main store tonight. My current 30 day sales figure is 0.25% less than my 90 day sales figure divided by 3..............  My current 30 day sales figure is 0.51% higher than my 120 day sales figure divided by 4.  This is on sales of many thousands of dollars. ...........  Sales to within half a percent month in month out............... Now thats what I call a reliable selling platform ......... You wouldnt get that in a B & M store......Smiley Wink 

Sales on my smaller store are still going gang busters since I downgraded from featured to basic. It feels like some-one has taken the handbrake off of that one.

Message 89 of 187
Latest reply

Message 90 of 187
Latest reply